- Former developer at software company deletes his code to protest its ties to ICE Saturday 4:21 PM
- A mysterious website is doxing Hong Kong protesters and journalists Saturday 1:44 PM
- The best ‘Skyrim’ followers and how to get them Saturday 1:26 PM
- Why Joel Osteen gets cyberbullied every time Houston floods Saturday 12:40 PM
- How to stream Jets vs. Patriots in Week 3 Saturday 12:39 PM
- 10 indie dating simulator games you should be playing Saturday 12:31 PM
- How to stream Packers vs. Broncos in Week 3 Saturday 12:14 PM
- Saudi crown prince’s former adviser suspended from Twitter Saturday 11:57 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Dolphins in Week 3 Saturday 11:57 AM
- YouTuber to pay restitution after a teen fan died copying her video Saturday 10:36 AM
- Antonio Brown sent ‘intimidating’ texts to an accuser, including a pic of her children Saturday 9:38 AM
- Facebook suspended tens of thousands of apps after Cambridge Analytica scandal Saturday 8:24 AM
- How to stream Browns vs. Rams on Sunday Night Football Saturday 6:00 AM
- How to watch ‘NFL Primetime’ on ESPN+ Saturday 5:00 AM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Chelsea Friday 6:45 PM
You’ll have to wait a little longer for Avengers: Endgame reviews, but in the meantime, we’ve got spoiler-free reactions from last night’s premiere. Along with the stars and creative team behind the franchise, Endgame’s premiere hosted film critics and members of the public. And thankfully, they were allowed to post their opinions on social media.
As expected, the response is very positive. Carefully avoiding any spoilers, people who saw Endgame are describing it as epic, emotional, and a worthy conclusion to the franchise. There’s also a general sense that it’s better than Infinity War, which is great news.
So I just saw #AvengersEndgame, and you guys aren’t ready for shiiiiit. All the theorizing didn’t prepare you for this. I cried a lot, I flung my hands in the air and screamed out loud. It’s incredible. #EndgamePremiereLA #Avengers #Endgame— Beatrice Verhoeven (@bverhoev) April 23, 2019
While watching #AvengersEndgame, I laughed so loud, I clapped with so much force, and I cried so hard. The movie exceeds every expectation and is the perfect culmination of the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe.— Brandon Davis (@BrandonDavisBD) April 23, 2019
Imagine the best possible version of #AvengersEndgame and somehow the film still surpasses all expectations. I cried 5-6 times. It’s the most emotional, most epic, MCU film. A tribute to ten years of this universe and holy shit the great fan service in this movie. Soooo good.— Peter Sciretta (@slashfilm) April 23, 2019
One of the more intriguing reactions came from Fandango’s managing editor Erik Davis, who described Endgame as the brains to Infinity War‘s brawn. So, hopefully, this film is a lot deeper than the CGI slugfest that you often see in superhero team-up movies.
#AvengersEndgame is a masterful epic - a true culmination of 22 films that not only concludes the story, but expands upon it. You’ll learn more about the other movies while this one unfolds. If Infinity War is the brawn, Endgame is the brains. And wow, what an ending! pic.twitter.com/94ttBUQKJ0— Erik Davis (@ErikDavis) April 23, 2019
Of course, the in-depth reviews may turn out to be more mixed than these off-the-cuff reactions. It’s hard to articulate all your opinions in a single spoiler-free tweet, and the premiere atmosphere is designed to inspire effusive enthusiasm. The night was a star-studded party fueled by Marvel hype, not to mention an exclusive ticket for people who already love the franchise.
However, these early reactions are definitely promising—especially the hints that Avengers: Endgame includes some genuinely surprising twists. It sounds like Endgame manages to be a satisfying conclusion to the franchise, without being too predictable.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor