- Kentucky food truck repurposes ‘LGBTQ’ to support Trump, BBQ Tuesday 8:47 PM
- Trump complains about his Twitter follower count to Jack Dorsey Tuesday 6:34 PM
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ sticks the devastating landing—and gives you time to grieve Tuesday 5:00 PM
- Teen hits Apple with $1 billion lawsuit over alleged face recognition arrest Tuesday 4:48 PM
- John Cornyn tried to attack Patton Oswalt for his old tweets and failed miserably Tuesday 4:29 PM
- Logan Paul is selling a pillow of his dead dog—for a good cause Tuesday 4:04 PM
- Study: Too much Netflix, not enough ‘chill’ Tuesday 3:36 PM
- Pete Buttigieg under fire for saying incarcerated Americans shouldn’t be allowed to vote Tuesday 2:54 PM
- Vine’s co-founder is beta testing a new app called Byte Tuesday 2:51 PM
- Report: Joe Biden’s first 2020 fundraiser will be with a Comcast executive Tuesday 2:49 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Sabrina’ appears to have an art-copying problem (updated) Tuesday 2:47 PM
- People are crying over these cats’ window-sill romance Tuesday 2:27 PM
- The ‘I’m baby’ meme is all about being comforted Tuesday 2:24 PM
- Parody video totally nails what men are like on Tinder Tuesday 1:57 PM
- Twitch star AriLove latest woman to be arbitrarily banned for ‘sexually suggestive’ attire Tuesday 1:47 PM
A bulldog returned to a shelter by his owner for being “gay” was rescued by Facebook users one day before he would have been euthanized.
An American Bulldog mix was saved from going to heaven after a boisterous Facebook campaign.
The dog’s life was in danger after his owner returned him to a Tennessee shelter because the owner believed the dog was gay. The 39-year-old woman returned the pooch after she found it huddled over another male dog, the shelter wrote on Facebook.
“He [was] hunched over another male dog so his owner threw him away bc he refuses to have a ‘gay’ dog!” wrote a good samaritan who goes by “Jackson TN Euthanasia” on Facebook. “Even if that weren’t the most assinine [sic] thing I’ve ever heard, its still discrimination!”
The Facebook post started a rallying call asking visitors to save the “gorgeous dog,” since it was a day away from execution. Users responded by sharing the pooch’s picture more than 4,300 times and leaving more than 1,300 comments.
Commenters were notably outraged at owner’s actions with one person suggesting to “horse whip the owner.” A chorus of calls from other users offered to rescue the dog, but it was Stephanie Fryns who suggested she was going to take action.
“I am adopting this big boy first thing in the morning,” wrote Fryns early Thursday morning. “He will be neutered/ htwm tested/ and vetted. He will be temperament tested and then placed in a rescue verified and approved home.”
Animal rights organization Saving the Animals Together (S.T.A.T.) confirmed the dog was rescued Thursday, but didn’t name his new owner.
Photo via S.T.A.T./Facebook
A former editorial operations specialist and staff writer for the Daily Dot, Jordan Valinsky is a tech reporter and web culture commentator. His work has been published by the Week, Digiday, CNNMoney, Popular Mechanics, Vice, Mic, and Betabeat.