- How to stream Atletico Madrid vs. Bayer Leverkusen in the Champions League Monday 11:00 PM
- Russian bots targeting Joe Biden on Instagram Monday 10:04 PM
- TikTok takes down 2 dozen ISIS accounts being used for recruitment Monday 9:38 PM
- British judge refuses to delay WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange’s extradition hearing Monday 8:01 PM
- Indicted Giuliani associate Lev Parnas’ private Instagram filled with Trump connections Monday 7:22 PM
- ‘Bomboclaat’ is the new ‘sco pa tu manaa’ Monday 7:00 PM
- Lori Harvey reportedly trying to walk away from car crash spawns memes Monday 6:00 PM
- In Netflix’s ‘Upstarts,’ Silicon Valley CEOs are the good guys Monday 4:35 PM
- This video of a tree struck by lightning is… relatable? Monday 4:13 PM
- How to watch ‘Keeping Faith’ Monday 3:37 PM
- ‘South Park’ at the center of $500 million streaming war Monday 3:16 PM
- Pizza Hut and Papa John’s employees pranked into talking to each other on the phone Monday 2:34 PM
- Twitter bullies brought Jordan Peterson to tears Monday 2:24 PM
- 25 last-minute Halloween costumes for those with no time to shop Monday 1:30 PM
- Krassensteins return to Twitter and are immediately suspended Monday 1:01 PM
“A storm is coming,” an ominous voiceover starts, over a background of dark clouds and lightning. An image of a grizzly bear roars forth.
“I am the Storm,” the voiceover continues, with text to match.
For those of you not in the know, Trumpy Bear is a real plush stuffed toy that’s for sale through Exceptional Products, Inc., which manufactures products for sale on television.
The Trumpy Bear was “born” June 14, Flag Day (which is also Trump’s birthday), but it’s just now getting the attention it deserves. After the ad aired, Twitter couldn’t get enough of it.
I can't believe this commercial that just ran on Fox News is for real pic.twitter.com/gGInt8BKhp— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) November 12, 2018
Yes, it's real. No, we don't know why.https://t.co/kV9FtG2hsl— snopes.com (@snopes) November 12, 2018
I don't want to encourage Trumpy Bear, but it seems like a real missed opportunity that it doesn't come with a pussy cat grasped in one hand— Jessica Valenti (@JessicaValenti) November 12, 2018
Trumpy Bear is the perfect stocking stuffer.— Jeff Dwoskin - Hashtag Roundup (@bigmacher) November 12, 2018
I bought the deluxe version that comes with payoff money to keep Barbie quiet. pic.twitter.com/1zV1ClqhCy
Even the NRA’s Dana Loesch wasn’t impressed.
But conservative talking head Ben Shapiro called it “marketing genius”:
I mean COME ON https://t.co/OJ3UxsSuhI— Ben Shapiro (@benshapiro) November 12, 2018
The ad features a parade of Trump’s perceived core demographic—small business owners, police officers, firefighters, and veterans (or actors playing these roles)—praising Trumpy Bear.
“When I ride with Trumpy Bear, it makes my golf game great again. Thanks, Trumpy Bear!”
”When I go on patrol, I’m rolling with Trumpy Bear.”
“I’m a small business owner, and business is great again! Thank you, Trumpy Bear!”
The stuffed animal comes with yellow hair and eyebrows, just like the president. It also has a compartment in the back that contains an American flag-themed blanket, which Trump (most likely) does not have.
The toy seems to be a take on the Teddy bear, named after President Theodore Roosevelt for his refusal to kill a black bear during a hunting trip.
The Daily Dot reached out to Exceptional Products, Inc., for comment on the advertisement, but did not receive a response by press time.
And much like the way Trump can alight the internet again and again, this is not the first time Trumpy Bear went viral.
It was first noticed by Twitter back in July.
Ellen Ioanes is the FOIA reporter at the Daily Dot, where she covers U.S. politics. She is a graduate of Columbia Journalism School, and her work has appeared in the Guardian, the Center for Public Integrity, HuffPost India, and more.