- Black man films ‘Crosswalk Cathy’ yelling racist slurs at him Tuesday 6:47 PM
- Guerrilla artists turn John Oliver billboard ad into right-wing meme Tuesday 4:20 PM
- Netflix lines up unnecessarily good cast for ‘Green Eggs and Ham’ Tuesday 3:48 PM
- Netflix drops trailer for Mötley Crüe biopic ‘The Dirt’—and the cast is wild Tuesday 3:41 PM
- QAnon’s repetitive posts are alienating even his most ardent supporters Tuesday 3:36 PM
- Noah Cyrus cries on Instagram after Lil Xan’s baby announcement Tuesday 2:26 PM
- The ‘Well yes, but actually no’ meme is here to help you explain things Tuesday 12:07 PM
- Judge orders Roger Stone to appear in court after his Instagram post Tuesday 11:24 AM
- I worked with the migrant caravan—and Trump is the cause of his national emergency Tuesday 11:09 AM
- How to watch Liverpool vs. Bayern Munich online for free Tuesday 11:08 AM
- ‘Patriot Act’ volume 2 proves Hasan Minhaj is the next big star of the news-comedy genre Tuesday 11:01 AM
- ‘Friends From College’ canceled after 2 seasons at Netflix Tuesday 10:53 AM
- Allow your wallet to be your spirit guide during this rad anime sale Tuesday 10:43 AM
- Man stages fake DUI trial to propose to girlfriend, and people are asking why Tuesday 10:40 AM
- Bernie Sanders’ website full of 404s on launch day Tuesday 10:23 AM
Shocking Facebook video shows LAPD officers killing a homeless man
Police brutality or legitimate use of force? Either way, it’s gone viral.
WARNING: This post contains violent and disturbing video.
LAPD officers confronted a pair of civilians in Los Angeles‘ Skid Row in an altercation that left a man dead on the sidewalk. A bystander recorded the Sunday afternoon incident on a cell phone camera, and within 12 hours, that video has been watched over four million times.
The video was uploaded to Facebook by Los Angeles resident Anthony Blackburn shortly after the shooting. He posted it to his personal Facebook page, but with its privacy setting set to public. At press time, it had been viewed 4.4 million times and had over 160,000 shares on Facebook alone.
The video has also been uploaded to YouTube. (Warning: Graphic content.)
Witnesses on the scene gave the Los Angeles Times a handful of different accounts of what sparked the altercation.
One said the man, who they identified as going by the name “Africa,” had been fighting with another individual in a tent on the sidewalk when the police arrived. Another said that Africa was lying down on the sidewalk when police approached and became violent when told to get up. A third said police had come to order Africa to take down his tent.
The city has a ban on camping on the street during daylight hours.
An LAPD spokesperson told the Times that the police officers were called to the scene to investigate reports of a robbery in the area.
Law enforcement officials are investigating the shooting and hope to learn more from the footage taken by the body-mounted cameras that at least one of the officers was reportedly wearing.
Screengrab via Anthony Blackburn/Facebook
Aaron Sankin is a former Senior Staff Writer at the Daily Dot who covered the intersection of politics, technology, online privacy, Twitter bots, and the role of dank memes in popular culture. He lives in Seattle, Washington. He joined the Center for Investigative Reporting in 2016.