- The new ‘Hunger Games’ book paints President Snow as a hero—and people are not happy Tuesday 9:03 PM
- Influencer called out for ‘troubling image’ with Kenyan child Tuesday 8:18 PM
- Professor arrested for spending $185K of grant money on iTunes and strippers Tuesday 7:28 PM
- Man cuts his books in half to make them ‘portable,’ spurs online debate Tuesday 6:09 PM
- Fans defend Lana Del Rey after she was mocked for flying commercial Tuesday 5:10 PM
- Lady Gaga fans find alleged new song name in her website’s code Tuesday 4:42 PM
- Barstool Sports deletes anti-union tweets, blog post in settlement Tuesday 3:47 PM
- The ‘can have … as a treat’ meme has come full circle Tuesday 3:09 PM
- Joe Rogan says he’s voting for Bernie Sanders Tuesday 2:54 PM
- Woman spots mole in man’s TikTok video, saves him from cancer Tuesday 2:17 PM
- ‘You’ star confirms his character is queer and ‘never will be’ straight Tuesday 1:08 PM
- This Twitch streamer pooped his pants during a broadcast Tuesday 12:17 PM
- Apple’s iCloud encryption plan halted amid FBI pressure, report Tuesday 10:57 AM
- Glenn Greenwald charged with cybercrimes in Brazil Tuesday 10:48 AM
- BadBunny rips her fans for not sending her enough money Tuesday 10:06 AM
This weekend, President Donald Trump cemented his stance as the Western world’s most petulant president, ditching the G7 summit to hang out with a North Korean dictator, and tweeting angrily on his way out the door.
Based on Justin’s false statements at his news conference, and the fact that Canada is charging massive Tariffs to our U.S. farmers, workers and companies, I have instructed our U.S. Reps not to endorse the Communique as we look at Tariffs on automobiles flooding the U.S. Market!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 9, 2018
After reportedly agreeing on the wording of a joint statement, Trump backed out of it after he left, enraging American allies like Germany and France.
Trump continued the tirade on his way to meet Kim Jong-un.
Fair Trade is now to be called Fool Trade if it is not Reciprocal. According to a Canada release, they make almost 100 Billion Dollars in Trade with U.S. (guess they were bragging and got caught!). Minimum is 17B. Tax Dairy from us at 270%. Then Justin acts hurt when called out!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 11, 2018
....Germany pays 1% (slowly) of GDP towards NATO, while we pay 4% of a MUCH larger GDP. Does anybody believe that makes sense? We protect Europe (which is good) at great financial loss, and then get unfairly clobbered on Trade. Change is coming!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 11, 2018
The rift between Western Europe and America frightened observers, as one stated goal of Russian President Vladimir Putin has been to undermine the NATO alliance that’s stood in opposition to Russia since World War 2.
Two of Putin's goals are to interfere with democratic elections and to divide the western alliance. It appears as if his designated agent in the White House is assisting at every turn.— Bill Gallagher (@bill4thedefense) June 11, 2018
And while that’s a bit frightening, it led to a few good tweets (which honestly in this day and age is all we can ask for).
Here is Guy Verhofstadt, former Belgian Prime Minister and current Brexit coordinator for the EU parliament.
“Just tell us what Vladimir has on you. Maybe we can help.” pic.twitter.com/DLc7YJFXqT— Guy Verhofstadt (@guyverhofstadt) June 10, 2018
Trump is notoriously independent, so it’s unlikely he would ask for help. But the image over a glowering Merkel swiftly became a meme.
My God, this G7 is producing a hell of a set of images.— John O'Brennan (@JohnOBrennan2) June 9, 2018
Has Angela Merkel placed Trump on the naughty seat? pic.twitter.com/yMIJr1nE1U
It got so popular that even Angela Merkel, Germany’s chancellor, posted it to Instagram.
Looks like the EU won this round, at least from an internet perspective.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]