- Anti-Trump bros Ed and Brian Krassenstein get kicked off Twitter Thursday 8:07 PM
- Amazon is trying to solve pushback on facial recognition software with a web form Thursday 6:56 PM
- T.I. says Nipsey Hussle’s death was ‘like losing Iron Man’ Thursday 6:32 PM
- Facebook banned billions of fake accounts in the first 3 months of this year Thursday 5:49 PM
- Twitch streamer gets banned for drunkenly passing out during broadcast Thursday 5:00 PM
- WikiLeaks’ Julian Assange indicted under Espionage Act Thursday 4:39 PM
- These doctored videos want to make you think Nancy Pelosi is always drunk Thursday 4:02 PM
- A robot could soon be delivering your packages from a self-driving car Thursday 3:29 PM
- Bipartisan anti-robocall bill overwhelmingly passes Senate Thursday 2:40 PM
- Deepfake-style videos can now be made with just a single image Thursday 1:57 PM
- The Lonely Island’s ‘Bash Brothers’ is what Netflix should be doing with short-form comedy Thursday 1:55 PM
- ‘Green dress lady’ proves green screen memes are still going strong Thursday 1:45 PM
- ‘Bowling alley strike screen’ memes are bizarre and wonderful Thursday 12:40 PM
- TikTok star Mohit Mor shot and killed Thursday 12:00 PM
- Stephen A. Smith is baby Thursday 11:43 AM
Beto O’Rourke proves he’s cooler than Ted Cruz by shredding a Whataburger parking lot
More like… Shreddo O’Rourke.
So pretty much anything O’Rourke does on the campaign trail will be infinitely cooler than Cruz and be praised by the internet as #epic.
Like gently cruising around a Whataburger parking lot in Texas on a skateboard while saying “woosh.”
Posted by Beto O'Rourke on Saturday, August 18, 2018
(The cruising is at the beginning of the 37-minute video above.)
Twitter—the social media networking site that loves things—loved it.
— Jay Franzone (@JayFranzone) August 19, 2018
— DistractinglyGeeky (@DistractingGeek) August 19, 2018
Ted Cruz, not to be outmanuevered, shall release video of himself BMXing in the parking lot of WhatAboutBurger ending badly as he runs into the back of a truck
— David Rowinski (@bolekaja1001) August 19, 2018
Some races are won by the candidate with heart and soul. Beto's got both. https://t.co/e1r79BAUlE
— David Jolly (@DavidJollyFL) August 20, 2018
The slogan for this entire campaign should be "Ted Cruz could never" https://t.co/WM0rKQneX9
— Ofirah Yheskel (@ofirahy) August 19, 2018
It also got the early 2000s punk treatment.
i thought that video of beto o'rourke skateboarding in the whataburger parking lot required a little splash from the queen of pop-punk so hERE YA GO pic.twitter.com/wHg4hgcC2s
— ✨meme kween✨ (@notsavvie) August 20, 2018
At the Whataburger after the skateboard sesh, everyone in O’Rourke’s camp ordered Triple Meat Whataburgers, a reference to a curious dig Cruz recently made at him.
Cruz’s lead over O’Rourke has been tightening in the past few weeks—Cruz’s lead is down to about six points, according to the Real Clear Politics average—and now it looks like O’Rourke might just kickflip his way to the upper chamber and turn the Capitol rotunda upside down (and into a halfpipe).
Just call him Sen. Skateboard.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]