- Devin Nunes’ lawsuit with Twitter over parody accounts inspires more parody accounts Tuesday 7:53 PM
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez posts SpongeBob meme to diss Green New Deal adversaries Tuesday 7:23 PM
- Twitter blasts Benny Johnson over heinous Native American ‘socialist’ reservations take Tuesday 6:16 PM
- New Zealand arrests 2 for sharing video of mosque shooting Tuesday 4:44 PM
- ‘Queer Eye’ season 3 serves more frothy fun and cathartic realness Tuesday 4:30 PM
- Everyone is roasting this photo of Kourtney Kardashian in a bubble bath Tuesday 4:15 PM
- White House report has a lot of superheroes listed as interns Tuesday 4:06 PM
- Google to launch ‘Stadia’ cloud gaming service this year Tuesday 3:55 PM
- Amy Schumer addresses her ‘Growing’ pains in new Netflix special Tuesday 2:04 PM
- This Bitcoin tie is everyone’s favorite part of the Theranos documentary Tuesday 1:56 PM
- Trump’s social media guru gets suspended on Facebook Tuesday 1:51 PM
- YouTube time traveler says he saw a dinosaur—in the future Tuesday 1:47 PM
- Why is Netflix changing the viewing order for ‘Love, Death & Robots’? Tuesday 12:47 PM
- Elizabeth Holmes’ deep voice captivates and confuses the internet Tuesday 12:40 PM
- These cat purses have everything you need (including balls) Tuesday 12:22 PM
Beto O’Rourke proves he’s cooler than Ted Cruz by shredding a Whataburger parking lot
More like… Shreddo O’Rourke.
So pretty much anything O’Rourke does on the campaign trail will be infinitely cooler than Cruz and be praised by the internet as #epic.
Like gently cruising around a Whataburger parking lot in Texas on a skateboard while saying “woosh.”
Posted by Beto O'Rourke on Saturday, August 18, 2018
(The cruising is at the beginning of the 37-minute video above.)
Twitter—the social media networking site that loves things—loved it.
— Jay Franzone (@JayFranzone) August 19, 2018
— DistractinglyGeeky (@DistractingGeek) August 19, 2018
Ted Cruz, not to be outmanuevered, shall release video of himself BMXing in the parking lot of WhatAboutBurger ending badly as he runs into the back of a truck
— David Rowinski (@bolekaja1001) August 19, 2018
Some races are won by the candidate with heart and soul. Beto's got both. https://t.co/e1r79BAUlE
— David Jolly (@DavidJollyFL) August 20, 2018
The slogan for this entire campaign should be "Ted Cruz could never" https://t.co/WM0rKQneX9
— Ofirah Yheskel (@ofirahy) August 19, 2018
It also got the early 2000s punk treatment.
i thought that video of beto o'rourke skateboarding in the whataburger parking lot required a little splash from the queen of pop-punk so hERE YA GO pic.twitter.com/wHg4hgcC2s
— ✨meme kween✨ (@notsavvie) August 20, 2018
At the Whataburger after the skateboard sesh, everyone in O’Rourke’s camp ordered Triple Meat Whataburgers, a reference to a curious dig Cruz recently made at him.
Cruz’s lead over O’Rourke has been tightening in the past few weeks—Cruz’s lead is down to about six points, according to the Real Clear Politics average—and now it looks like O’Rourke might just kickflip his way to the upper chamber and turn the Capitol rotunda upside down (and into a halfpipe).
Just call him Sen. Skateboard.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]