- Vanessa Bryant files a lawsuit against helicopter company after deaths of Kobe and Gianna Monday 5:49 PM
- Michael Jordan cries at Kobe Bryant memorial, jokes about creating a new meme Monday 4:43 PM
- Woman’s boyfriend says it’s him or the frogs—Reddit says choose the frogs Monday 4:22 PM
- Greyhound buses will no longer allow Border Patrol checks Monday 4:04 PM
- ‘Eat Them To Defeat Them’ is oddly about vegetables—not about eating the rich Monday 3:26 PM
- Marco Rubio mocked for filming talking while driving socialism critique Monday 2:54 PM
- QAnon believer asks Trump’s campaign press secretary who Q is Monday 2:36 PM
- Octavia Spencer has discovered ‘Ma’ memes—and she can’t get enough Monday 2:09 PM
- Meet the anti-Greta Thunberg, a climate ‘skeptic’ funded by the oil industry Monday 1:12 PM
- Harvey Weinstein convicted of rape and sexual assault Monday 12:56 PM
- Senator calls Facebook’s current election disinformation efforts ‘inadequate’ in letter Monday 12:11 PM
- The Phillie Phanatic mascot unveils a slimmer makeover Monday 11:56 AM
- YouTuber threatened with arrest after rapping about being a girl from Mecca Monday 11:55 AM
- Video shows flat-Earther ‘daredevil’ crashing to death after homemade rocket fails Monday 11:49 AM
- Cardi B defends Dwyane Wade’s daughter during Instagram Live Monday 11:45 AM
So pretty much anything O’Rourke does on the campaign trail will be infinitely cooler than Cruz and be praised by the internet as #epic.
Like gently cruising around a Whataburger parking lot in Texas on a skateboard while saying “woosh.”
WHATABURGER!!!Posted by Beto O'Rourke on Saturday, August 18, 2018
(The cruising is at the beginning of the 37-minute video above.)
Twitter—the social media networking site that loves things—loved it.
Ted Cruz, not to be outmanuevered, shall release video of himself BMXing in the parking lot of WhatAboutBurger ending badly as he runs into the back of a truck— David Rowinski (@bolekaja1001) August 19, 2018
Some races are won by the candidate with heart and soul. Beto's got both. https://t.co/e1r79BAUlE— David Jolly (@DavidJollyFL) August 20, 2018
The slogan for this entire campaign should be "Ted Cruz could never" https://t.co/WM0rKQneX9— Ofirah Yheskel (@ofirahy) August 19, 2018
It also got the early 2000s punk treatment.
i thought that video of beto o'rourke skateboarding in the whataburger parking lot required a little splash from the queen of pop-punk so hERE YA GO pic.twitter.com/wHg4hgcC2s— ✨meme kween✨ (@notsavvie) August 20, 2018
At the Whataburger after the skateboard sesh, everyone in O’Rourke’s camp ordered Triple Meat Whataburgers, a reference to a curious dig Cruz recently made at him.
Cruz’s lead over O’Rourke has been tightening in the past few weeks—Cruz’s lead is down to about six points, according to the Real Clear Politics average—and now it looks like O’Rourke might just kickflip his way to the upper chamber and turn the Capitol rotunda upside down (and into a halfpipe).
Just call him Sen. Skateboard.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]