- Is that Rosa Parks in random Twitter user’s baby photo? Tuesday 8:24 PM
- Syracuse students say white supremacist manifesto was AirDropped to them Tuesday 7:44 PM
- Florida woman gets prison time for throwing slushie at Matt Gaetz Tuesday 6:28 PM
- Marie Kondo’s online store slammed for selling clutter-worthy products Tuesday 5:34 PM
- People are rallying against toxic masculinity on International Men’s Day Tuesday 4:42 PM
- Reddit wants to stop its pro-Trump forum from outing the alleged whistleblower Tuesday 3:38 PM
- White woman calls cops on man who said he was visiting aunt with his kids Tuesday 3:12 PM
- ‘The Stranded’ is a flawed yet addictive blend of ‘Degrassi’ and ‘Lost’ Tuesday 2:45 PM
- The ‘gonna tell my kids’ meme is revisionist history at its most absurd Tuesday 2:24 PM
- Redditor asks former burglars to give home security tips Tuesday 2:18 PM
- Facebook-Breitbart partnership under fire in wake of new Stephen Miller emails Tuesday 2:00 PM
- John Krasinski under fire after praising the CIA Tuesday 1:46 PM
- Conservatives melt down after Chick-fil-A says it will stop donating to anti-LGBTQ orgs Tuesday 1:33 PM
- ‘Honey Boy’ is an experimental look at channeling trauma Tuesday 1:28 PM
- Disney+ now allows users to resume and restart content Tuesday 11:42 AM
So pretty much anything O’Rourke does on the campaign trail will be infinitely cooler than Cruz and be praised by the internet as #epic.
Like gently cruising around a Whataburger parking lot in Texas on a skateboard while saying “woosh.”
WHATABURGER!!!Posted by Beto O'Rourke on Saturday, August 18, 2018
(The cruising is at the beginning of the 37-minute video above.)
Twitter—the social media networking site that loves things—loved it.
Ted Cruz, not to be outmanuevered, shall release video of himself BMXing in the parking lot of WhatAboutBurger ending badly as he runs into the back of a truck— David Rowinski (@bolekaja1001) August 19, 2018
Some races are won by the candidate with heart and soul. Beto's got both. https://t.co/e1r79BAUlE— David Jolly (@DavidJollyFL) August 20, 2018
The slogan for this entire campaign should be "Ted Cruz could never" https://t.co/WM0rKQneX9— Ofirah Yheskel (@ofirahy) August 19, 2018
It also got the early 2000s punk treatment.
i thought that video of beto o'rourke skateboarding in the whataburger parking lot required a little splash from the queen of pop-punk so hERE YA GO pic.twitter.com/wHg4hgcC2s— ✨meme kween✨ (@notsavvie) August 20, 2018
At the Whataburger after the skateboard sesh, everyone in O’Rourke’s camp ordered Triple Meat Whataburgers, a reference to a curious dig Cruz recently made at him.
Cruz’s lead over O’Rourke has been tightening in the past few weeks—Cruz’s lead is down to about six points, according to the Real Clear Politics average—and now it looks like O’Rourke might just kickflip his way to the upper chamber and turn the Capitol rotunda upside down (and into a halfpipe).
Just call him Sen. Skateboard.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]