- ‘Theater etiquette’ tweets surge after YouTuber cast in ‘Waitress’ 1 Month Ago
- A GoFundMe for Eric Garner’s killer has raised more than $70,000 1 Month Ago
- YouTuber finds GoPro footage of man who drowned in 2017 1 Month Ago
- Netflix’s ’45 rpm’ is as tired as the boomer rock era it tries to honor Today 11:38 AM
- Teen arrested for threatening to ‘slaughter’ abortion clinic on iFunny Today 11:29 AM
- How to stream the LA Galaxy vs. Cruz Azul Leagues Cup semifinal match Today 11:10 AM
- Going broke over the App Store? Here’s how to turn off in-app purchases Today 10:49 AM
- Jill Biden says even if you don’t like Joe Biden, you need to vote for Joe Biden Today 10:43 AM
- Report on ideal thermostat temperature brings out the dad jokes Today 10:28 AM
- Edited videos of Portland protests are telling half-truths Today 10:20 AM
- Netflix debuts upcoming releases section on the Netflix TV app Today 9:29 AM
- Marianne Williams announces plan for a Department of Peace Today 8:53 AM
- PewDiePie marries Marzia—and shares photos of YouTube’s royal wedding Today 8:35 AM
- How to stream Club América vs. Tigres UANL in the Leagues Cup semis Today 8:17 AM
- Deadpool unmasked: Here’s everything you need to know about Marvel’s anti-hero Today 7:53 AM
A woman reportedly named Kiara Cervantes became a controversial, overnight sensation for being attractive and reportedly a Border Patrol officer, according to Yahoo. A photo of Cervantes was taken during Mike Pence’s visit to a border detention facility while she was on duty. The photo later circulated online under the hashtag #ICEBae.
“I think I’m coming down with a case of undocumentation,” one Twitter fan wrote.
The attention she received prompted #ICEBae to finally come forward. A person created a Twitter profile on Monday, claiming to be Cervantes, the ICE bae. She later posted a video to prove she was the real deal.
“Just woke up … saw that I needed to make a video so y’all could believe that it’s me,” said the woman claiming to be ICE bae. “It’s me—I’m a Customs officer based in Texas and yeah, I don’t know what else to say.”
Cervantes also wrote that she was in “awe” of all of the support.
WOW I am in awe. Thank you all for the support! My job is so hectic at this moment but I am grateful. I love protecting my country! 🇺🇸🇺🇸❤️ And I love my supporters!— Kiara C (@kiarace24) July 16, 2019
Even though some of ICE bae’s reception has been positive, many are criticizing Cervantes for working for the Border Patrol, which is currently under serious scrutiny for its mistreatment of immigrants.
“This country is a mess, we are praising and trending #IceBae when she is literally a guard at a CONCENTRATION CAMP, guarding CHILDREN IN CAGES, RIPPING FAMILIES APART AT THE BORDER,” one user wrote. “you’re all sick, honestly.”
this country is a mess, we are praising and trending #IceBae when she is literally a guard at a CONCENTRATION CAMP, guarding CHILDREN IN CAGES, RIPPING FAMILIES APART AT THE BORDER. you’re all sick, honestly.— alex ⭐️ (@hcapd) July 15, 2019
Another likened her work as a Border Patrol officer to being Nazi.
"We were just doing our job!" pic.twitter.com/na7kRkTnhj— 🏯P U R R Y🏯💻 S C U Z Z 🏮🐱 (@OfficialCheese6) July 15, 2019
One user called her “literal scum” and told her that she should be ashamed of her job, especially as a Latina–adding that her parents should disown her.
“I think that’s really rude and naive of you to say. You have no idea who my parents are and no idea what goes into my job on a daily basis… before speaking on something you know nothing about…. DONT. Regardless I’m blessed and thankful for the career I have,” Cervantes wrote in a now-deleted response.
Prior to the revelation of Cervantes’ political party affiliation, it was assumed that her politics weren’t in line with those of a Democrat.
#IceBae is a latina hero that knows about the factual dangers of letting in illegals. Democrats hate seeing minorities that have escaped their ways of thinking.Thank You for your service @kiarace24👌🇺🇸 pic.twitter.com/Pi0tRE01XY— 🐂Cornfusius🐂 (@TaurenLT) July 15, 2019
The internet has a ton of questions for ICE bae, and they are all waiting for answers. Some of those answers may be coming soon.
“Video coming soooon! I have some thing to get off my chest!!” she wrote.
Video coming soooon! I have some things to get off my chest!! ☺️❤️— Kiara C (@kiarace24) July 16, 2019
- Controversial #ICEBae divides social media
- Inside the technology helping ICE deport immigrants
- People are not falling for these ICE ‘propaganda’ photos
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
H/T New York Post
Tiffanie Drayton is a geek culture and lifestyle reporter whose work covers everything from gender and race to anime and Xbox. Her work has appeared in Complex, Salon, Marie Claire, Playboy, and elsewhere.