- ‘Penis fish’ memes erupt after worms wash up on California coast Friday 5:58 PM
- Why Britons are tweeting ‘Little England’ in wake of the U.K. election Friday 3:22 PM
- Net neutrality advocates ask for rehearing on federal court decision Friday 2:29 PM
- Americans are sharing their #PrivateHealthLIFEhacks to help Brits Friday 2:28 PM
- Warren, Sanders, Yang pledge to skip next week’s debate over union dispute Friday 2:12 PM
- How to watch tonight’s Nets vs. Raptors matchup on NBA TV Friday 2:00 PM
- Alt-right comedian Owen Benjamin banned from Instagram over anti-Semitic memes Friday 1:55 PM
- TikTok teens are procrastinating with #FinalsWeek Friday 1:46 PM
- ‘The Mandalorian’ takes on a prison break in episode 6 Friday 1:30 PM
- Nick Cannon vs. Eminem battle expected to escalate after ‘off-limits’ daughter diss Friday 12:50 PM
- Laura Loomer vehemently denies being author of new Laura Loomer-themed action novel Friday 12:30 PM
- PewDiePie’s poop-inspired game gets banned by Apple Friday 11:29 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ showrunners to adapt ‘Lovecraft’ graphic novel to screen Friday 11:00 AM
- The 50 memes that defined the decade Friday 10:45 AM
- Venmo users are getting harassed with fraudulent payment requests Friday 10:38 AM
A woman reportedly named Kiara Cervantes became a controversial, overnight sensation for being attractive and reportedly a Border Patrol officer, according to Yahoo. A photo of Cervantes was taken during Mike Pence’s visit to a border detention facility while she was on duty. The photo later circulated online under the hashtag #ICEBae.
“I think I’m coming down with a case of undocumentation,” one Twitter fan wrote.
The attention she received prompted #ICEBae to finally come forward. A person created a Twitter profile on Monday, claiming to be Cervantes, the ICE bae. She later posted a video to prove she was the real deal.
“Just woke up … saw that I needed to make a video so y’all could believe that it’s me,” said the woman claiming to be ICE bae. “It’s me—I’m a Customs officer based in Texas and yeah, I don’t know what else to say.”
Cervantes also wrote that she was in “awe” of all of the support.
Even though some of ICE bae’s reception has been positive, many are criticizing Cervantes for working for the Border Patrol, which is currently under serious scrutiny for its mistreatment of immigrants.
“This country is a mess, we are praising and trending #IceBae when she is literally a guard at a CONCENTRATION CAMP, guarding CHILDREN IN CAGES, RIPPING FAMILIES APART AT THE BORDER,” one user wrote. “you’re all sick, honestly.”
this country is a mess, we are praising and trending #IceBae when she is literally a guard at a CONCENTRATION CAMP, guarding CHILDREN IN CAGES, RIPPING FAMILIES APART AT THE BORDER. you’re all sick, honestly.— alex ⭐️ (@hcapd) July 15, 2019
Another likened her work as a Border Patrol officer to being Nazi.
"We were just doing our job!" pic.twitter.com/na7kRkTnhj— 🎭TOM🎥CRUISE 📀 TALENT 💵 AGENCY (@OfficialCheese6) July 15, 2019
One user called her “literal scum” and told her that she should be ashamed of her job, especially as a Latina–adding that her parents should disown her.
“I think that’s really rude and naive of you to say. You have no idea who my parents are and no idea what goes into my job on a daily basis… before speaking on something you know nothing about…. DONT. Regardless I’m blessed and thankful for the career I have,” Cervantes wrote in a now-deleted response.
Prior to the revelation of Cervantes’ political party affiliation, it was assumed that her politics weren’t in line with those of a Democrat.
#IceBae is a latina hero that knows about the factual dangers of letting in illegals. Democrats hate seeing minorities that have escaped their ways of thinking.Thank You for your service @kiarace24👌🇺🇸 pic.twitter.com/Pi0tRE01XY— 🐂Nepriklausomas🐂 (@TaurenLT) July 15, 2019
The internet has a ton of questions for ICE bae, and they are all waiting for answers. Some of those answers may be coming soon.
“Video coming soooon! I have some thing to get off my chest!!” she wrote.
Video coming soooon! I have some things to get off my chest!! ☺️❤️— Kiara C (@kiarace24) July 16, 2019
- Controversial #ICEBae divides social media
- Inside the technology helping ICE deport immigrants
- People are not falling for these ICE ‘propaganda’ photos
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
H/T New York Post
Tiffanie Drayton is a geek culture and lifestyle reporter whose work covers everything from gender and race to anime and Xbox. Her work has appeared in Complex, Salon, Marie Claire, Playboy, and elsewhere.