- CDC graphic warns most facial hair isn’t compatible with coronavirus protection measures 2 Years Ago
- Tutoring website refuses to take down ad sexualizing Asian women 2 Years Ago
- MSNBC pundit loses air time after saying Sanders staffers are ‘island of misfit Black girls’ Today 12:36 PM
- Court says YouTube isn’t subject to First Amendment scrutiny Today 11:06 AM
- Russian models are Instagramming life in Wuhan Today 11:00 AM
- Hillary Duff suggests ‘Lizzie McGuire’ revival was halted over adult storylines Today 10:37 AM
- Arrest warrant issued for 8chan founder Today 10:22 AM
- This YouTube time traveler says he’s a cyborg from 2050—and he wants you to buy merch Today 10:11 AM
- Women on Twitter are slaying the ‘Bad b*tch for a week’ challenge Today 9:30 AM
- Reddit’s CEO issues a dire warning about TikTok Today 9:03 AM
- ‘Star Trek: Picard’ episode 6 recap: ‘The Impossible Box’ Today 8:00 AM
- Faculty from over 100 schools join call for facial recognition ban Today 7:48 AM
- Ava DuVernay is making a sci-fi series for Amazon Today 6:50 AM
- Review: ‘Altered Carbon’ returns with an overcomplicated second season Today 6:00 AM
- Mike Pence, who fueled HIV outbreak, is now in charge of coronavirus outbreak Wednesday 9:15 PM
Carson Jones is a zookeeper residing in Denver and has caught the attention of many new fans.
DOUG JONES BRING YOUR SON FORWARD FOR A BETTER LOOK— Bobby McClanahan (@B_McC2) December 13, 2017
Gays, take a moment tonight to celebrate Doug Jones’ son Carson pic.twitter.com/VUF1ovkwJO— Tom Zohar (@TomZohar) December 13, 2017
Just discovered Doug Jones’ son’s instagram. Y’all.....— The Dad you’ll never have (@whichwaytojoe) December 15, 2017
He’s cute, drinks rosé, owns a RompHim, and is a #UGA fan 🤤
Here are Trump's creepy sons, bragging about killing a beautiful animal, and here's Doug Jones' gay son Carson, who's a zookeeper. pic.twitter.com/e1rQhmOXPa— Paul Rudnick (@PaulRudnickNY) December 14, 2017
Gays on twitter going back from Political experts to our normal horny thirsty selves after finding out the Doug Jones has a gay son who’s a snack: pic.twitter.com/b08Xvafs28— Corey OBrien (@Coreyobr) December 13, 2017
But folks on Twitter aren’t the only ones who adore Jones; his parents do, too. Jones told IntoMore the story of how he came out to his parents in 2015.
While working at a zoo in Australia, he was inspired to tell his parents he was gay after the Supreme Court legalized gay marriage in the United States. He said as he drove to work, he passed by multiple rainbows. He perceived them as a sign and decided to pen a blog post about his sexuality and sent it to his parents.
“Don’t wait,” Jones told his mother. “Read it now.”
His parents responded simply and promptly. “I love you,” they said.
Jones said, however, that it was never his parents he feared when he considered coming out—it was his conservatives neighbors in Alabama.
“[Mountain Brook] was not a place that I would have felt comfortable coming out in,” he says. “I only know of one person who was out in my year.”
But his father’s win in Alabama gives him hope, he said.
“It’s little moments like that which tell me that things are getting better,” Jones says. “That’s what I have to believe. And after the results on Tuesday, I don’t just believe it—I know it.”
Tess Cagle is a reporter who focuses on politics, lifestyle, and streaming entertainment. Her work has appeared in the New York Times, Texas Monthly, the Austin American-Statesman, Damn Joan, and Community Impact Newspaper. She’s also a portrait, events, and live music photographer in Central Texas.