- Texas police officer fatally shoots Black woman in her own home Today 3:44 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos’ website dangerous.com was sold Today 1:42 PM
- First YouTube comment to hit 1 million likes is on Billie Eilish’s ‘bad guy’ music video Today 12:36 PM
- Girl says she was fired over exposing how Panera makes its mac and cheese on TikTok Today 11:34 AM
- David Harbour teased fans about Hopper’s ‘Stranger Things’ fate on ‘SNL’ Today 10:24 AM
- Kacey Musgraves accused of cultural appropriation–and botching it Today 9:19 AM
- Rihanna defends Vogue writer who received backlash for ‘winging’ interview Today 8:36 AM
- Here are the best PC games to add to your list Today 8:20 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 8 Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chargers on Sunday Night Football Saturday 7:20 PM
- Popular TikTok teens accused of pretending to be gay for clout Saturday 6:38 PM
- Scott Walker’s ‘$26 haircut’ dig at Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez backfires Saturday 4:46 PM
- Halle synagogue shooter allegedly posted manifesto on anime message board Saturday 4:06 PM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Jets in NFL Week 6 Saturday 3:25 PM
- How to stream Rams vs. 49ers in NFL Week 6 action Saturday 3:05 PM
Carson Jones is a zookeeper residing in Denver and has caught the attention of many new fans.
DOUG JONES BRING YOUR SON FORWARD FOR A BETTER LOOK— Bobby McClanahan (@B_McC2) December 13, 2017
Gays, take a moment tonight to celebrate Doug Jones’ son Carson pic.twitter.com/VUF1ovkwJO— Tom Zohar (@TomZohar) December 13, 2017
Just discovered Doug Jones’ son’s instagram. Y’all.....— Joe #Pride🏳️🌈 (@whichwaytojoe) December 15, 2017
He’s cute, drinks rosé, owns a RompHim, and is a #UGA fan 🤤
Here are Trump's creepy sons, bragging about killing a beautiful animal, and here's Doug Jones' gay son Carson, who's a zookeeper. pic.twitter.com/e1rQhmOXPa— Paul Rudnick (@PaulRudnickNY) December 14, 2017
Gays on twitter going back from Political experts to our normal horny thirsty selves after finding out the Doug Jones has a gay son who’s a snack: pic.twitter.com/b08Xvafs28— Corey OBrien (@Coreyobr) December 13, 2017
But folks on Twitter aren’t the only ones who adore Jones; his parents do, too. Jones told IntoMore the story of how he came out to his parents in 2015.
While working at a zoo in Australia, he was inspired to tell his parents he was gay after the Supreme Court legalized gay marriage in the United States. He said as he drove to work, he passed by multiple rainbows. He perceived them as a sign and decided to pen a blog post about his sexuality and sent it to his parents.
“Don’t wait,” Jones told his mother. “Read it now.”
His parents responded simply and promptly. “I love you,” they said.
Jones said, however, that it was never his parents he feared when he considered coming out—it was his conservatives neighbors in Alabama.
“[Mountain Brook] was not a place that I would have felt comfortable coming out in,” he says. “I only know of one person who was out in my year.”
But his father’s win in Alabama gives him hope, he said.
“It’s little moments like that which tell me that things are getting better,” Jones says. “That’s what I have to believe. And after the results on Tuesday, I don’t just believe it—I know it.”
Tess Cagle is a reporter who focuses on politics, lifestyle, and streaming entertainment. Her work has appeared in the New York Times, Texas Monthly, the Austin American-Statesman, Damn Joan, and Community Impact Newspaper. She’s also a portrait, events, and live music photographer in Central Texas.