- R. Kelly charged in Chicago with multiple counts of sex abuse Friday 7:51 PM
- Elon Musk finally hosts PewDiePie’s meme review Friday 6:27 PM
- Netflix throws ‘Umbrella Academy’-themed wedding for fans Friday 4:54 PM
- Report: Facebook collects app data on users’ body weight, menstrual cycles Friday 3:38 PM
- Amy Klobuchar reportedly ate salad with a comb, and Twitter’s got questions Friday 2:47 PM
- Nobody likes Spotify’s new update Friday 2:34 PM
- Student assaulted on campus while tabling for right-wing group Friday 1:56 PM
- Kim Kardashian West sues fashion company for using her likeness to sell clothes Friday 1:12 PM
- The Oscar-nominated movies you’ll actually want to watch again Friday 12:56 PM
- Viral graphic shows the moment Apple became the top brand Friday 12:27 PM
- Jake Paul calls out KSI for a YouTube boxing match Friday 11:31 AM
- This elementary school made students play ‘runaway slave’ Friday 11:20 AM
- ‘Captain Marvel’ is already a box office hit Friday 11:06 AM
- This ‘buff bunny vs. small bunny’ meme is here for when you’re feeling inferior Friday 10:53 AM
- Ocasio-Cortez slams trolls who come at her with ‘weak’ memes Friday 10:52 AM
It’s a heartwarming story.
Carson Jones is a zookeeper residing in Denver and has caught the attention of many new fans.
DOUG JONES BRING YOUR SON FORWARD FOR A BETTER LOOK
— Bobby McClanahan (@B_McC2) December 13, 2017
Gays, take a moment tonight to celebrate Doug Jones’ son Carson pic.twitter.com/VUF1ovkwJO
— Tom Zohar (@TomZohar) December 13, 2017
Just discovered Doug Jones’ son’s instagram. Y’all…..
He’s cute, drinks rosé, owns a RompHim, and is a #UGA fan 🤤
— Joe (@whichwaytojoe) December 15, 2017
Here are Trump's creepy sons, bragging about killing a beautiful animal, and here's Doug Jones' gay son Carson, who's a zookeeper. pic.twitter.com/e1rQhmOXPa
— Paul Rudnick (@PaulRudnickNY) December 14, 2017
Gays on twitter going back from Political experts to our normal horny thirsty selves after finding out the Doug Jones has a gay son who’s a snack: pic.twitter.com/b08Xvafs28
— Corey OBrien (@Coreyobr) December 13, 2017
But folks on Twitter aren’t the only ones who adore Jones; his parents do, too. Jones told IntoMore the story of how he came out to his parents in 2015.
While working at a zoo in Australia, he was inspired to tell his parents he was gay after the Supreme Court legalized gay marriage in the United States. He said as he drove to work, he passed by multiple rainbows. He perceived them as a sign and decided to pen a blog post about his sexuality and sent it to his parents.
“Don’t wait,” Jones told his mother. “Read it now.”
His parents responded simply and promptly. “I love you,” they said.
Jones said, however, that it was never his parents he feared when he considered coming out—it was his conservatives neighbors in Alabama.
“[Mountain Brook] was not a place that I would have felt comfortable coming out in,” he says. “I only know of one person who was out in my year.”
But his father’s win in Alabama gives him hope, he said.
“It’s little moments like that which tell me that things are getting better,” Jones says. “That’s what I have to believe. And after the results on Tuesday, I don’t just believe it—I know it.”
Tess Cagle is a reporter who focuses on politics, lifestyle, and streaming entertainment. Her work has appeared in the New York Times, Texas Monthly, the Austin American-Statesman, Damn Joan, and Community Impact Newspaper. She’s also a portrait, events, and live music photographer in Central Texas.