- British judge refuses to delay WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange’s extradition hearing Monday 8:01 PM
- Indicted Giuliani associate Lev Parnas’ private Instagram filled with Trump connections Monday 7:22 PM
- ‘Bomboclaat’ is the new ‘sco pa tu manaa’ Monday 7:00 PM
- Lori Harvey reportedly trying to walk away from car crash spawns memes Monday 6:00 PM
- In Netflix’s ‘Upstarts,’ Silicon Valley CEOs are the good guys Monday 4:35 PM
- This video of a tree struck by lightning is… relatable? Monday 4:13 PM
- How to watch ‘Keeping Faith’ Monday 3:37 PM
- ‘South Park’ at the center of $500 million streaming war Monday 3:16 PM
- Pizza Hut and Papa John’s employees pranked into talking to each other on the phone Monday 2:34 PM
- Twitter bullies brought Jordan Peterson to tears Monday 2:24 PM
- 25 last-minute Halloween costumes for those with no time to shop Monday 1:30 PM
- Krassensteins return to Twitter and are immediately suspended Monday 1:01 PM
- Tom Brady insists he didn’t parody Robert Kraft in ‘Living with Yourself’ cameo Monday 12:52 PM
- Black security guard fired for telling student not to call him the N-word Monday 12:38 PM
- How Watchmen’s Bass Reeves cameo ties into the original comic Monday 12:34 PM
Comedy Central aired its Roast of Alec Baldwin on Sunday. At least, that’s what we’re supposed to believe from the title card. One celebrity guest seemed to take much of the heat off of Baldwin with her appearance: Caitlyn Jenner, due to her family, support of President Donald Trump, and gender identity had a large target on her back.
Jenner was later deadnamed on social media by detractors.
Roastmaster Sean Hayes set the tone early on, “I can’t believe you’re here, wow. You’ve got balls, girl.”
Jenner became an easy target for transphobic jokes during the roast, to put it lightly. Comedian Adam Carolla, in particular, didn’t hold back when he deadnamed and misgendered Jenner all in the same sentence.
“Here’s how fucked up Hollywood is. Bruce Jenner announces he’s transitioning and everybody applauds it, but when they find out he’s a Republican, they’re outraged. Cut your dick off? Hero. Cut taxes? Hitler,” Carolla quipped.
One Twitter user pointed out that Jenner’s appearance opened the door for rampant transphobia.
The roast itself was even nastier than expected. It felt like Caitlyn Jenner was invited solely for the purpose of transphobic jokes. Only SNL’s Chris Redd used the platform for genuine criticism: pic.twitter.com/kL3p98czpi— jay bee (@mexicanpony) September 16, 2019
“The roast itself was even nastier than expected. It felt like Caitlyn Jenner was invited solely for the purpose of transphobic jokes. Only SNL’s Chris Redd used the platform for genuine criticism,” Twitter user @mexicanpony wrote.
The criticism that @mexicanpony wrote of was regarding Jenner’s known conservative beliefs and past support of Trump. Many members of the LGBTQ community have pointed out that she’s supported a president who has proposed rollbacks for transgender protections, and comedian Chris Redd was quick to point this out.
“You goddamn hypocrite. You’re against gay marriage, you voted for Trump. You’re like the Auntie Tom of the trans community,” Redd said.
Despite taking most of the heat during the roast, Jenner was able to handle her own. While the spotlight was on her, she even took a moment to address the trans community at large with an encouraging message.
“I want other members of the trans community to know that if I’m strong enough to sit up here and be ridiculed all night that you can handle anything,” Jenner said.
Alex is a recent graduate of the journalism school at the University of Texas at Austin. She has written for the Texas Observer, the Austin Chronicle, KUT, and ORANGE Magazine.