- Video shows people harassing elderly Asian man while he collects cans Tuesday 6:23 PM
- Bob Iger steps down as Disney CEO, prompting conspiracy theories Tuesday 5:53 PM
- Bhad Bhabie threatens to kill Skai Jackson amid feud involving their moms Tuesday 4:51 PM
- Body camera shows officer boasting about arresting a 6-year-old Tuesday 3:58 PM
- Singer Duffy opens up about the rape, captivity that led her to stop singing Tuesday 3:51 PM
- Cynthia Nixon embodies feminist rage in viral video Tuesday 3:30 PM
- Samsung factory shuts down amid confirmed coronavirus case Tuesday 3:08 PM
- Bebe Rexha says she won’t be ‘imprisoned’ by bipolar disorder Tuesday 2:33 PM
- The ‘your music saved me’ meme celebrates the wackiest influences of our time Tuesday 2:20 PM
- This guy slapped his mom’s boobs for a TikTok and, honestly, it’s exhausting (updated) Tuesday 12:37 PM
- Jif peanut butter and Giphy have joined forces on how to pronounce ‘GIF’ Tuesday 12:19 PM
- This dad threw a 1-year HRT party for his trans son and the internet can’t get enough of it Tuesday 11:44 AM
- This petition wants Pornhub to be shut down for good Tuesday 11:03 AM
- Pete Buttigieg’s speech voice is suspiciously like Obama’s Tuesday 10:56 AM
- Exposé about Bernie staffer’s Twitter leads to his firing—and an online class war Tuesday 10:40 AM
Comedy Central aired its Roast of Alec Baldwin on Sunday. At least, that’s what we’re supposed to believe from the title card. One celebrity guest seemed to take much of the heat off of Baldwin with her appearance: Caitlyn Jenner, due to her family, support of President Donald Trump, and gender identity had a large target on her back.
Jenner was later deadnamed on social media by detractors.
Roastmaster Sean Hayes set the tone early on, “I can’t believe you’re here, wow. You’ve got balls, girl.”
Jenner became an easy target for transphobic jokes during the roast, to put it lightly. Comedian Adam Carolla, in particular, didn’t hold back when he deadnamed and misgendered Jenner all in the same sentence.
“Here’s how fucked up Hollywood is. Bruce Jenner announces he’s transitioning and everybody applauds it, but when they find out he’s a Republican, they’re outraged. Cut your dick off? Hero. Cut taxes? Hitler,” Carolla quipped.
One Twitter user pointed out that Jenner’s appearance opened the door for rampant transphobia.
The roast itself was even nastier than expected. It felt like Caitlyn Jenner was invited solely for the purpose of transphobic jokes. Only SNL’s Chris Redd used the platform for genuine criticism: pic.twitter.com/kL3p98czpi— jay bee (@mexicanpony) September 16, 2019
“The roast itself was even nastier than expected. It felt like Caitlyn Jenner was invited solely for the purpose of transphobic jokes. Only SNL’s Chris Redd used the platform for genuine criticism,” Twitter user @mexicanpony wrote.
The criticism that @mexicanpony wrote of was regarding Jenner’s known conservative beliefs and past support of Trump. Many members of the LGBTQ community have pointed out that she’s supported a president who has proposed rollbacks for transgender protections, and comedian Chris Redd was quick to point this out.
“You goddamn hypocrite. You’re against gay marriage, you voted for Trump. You’re like the Auntie Tom of the trans community,” Redd said.
Despite taking most of the heat during the roast, Jenner was able to handle her own. While the spotlight was on her, she even took a moment to address the trans community at large with an encouraging message.
“I want other members of the trans community to know that if I’m strong enough to sit up here and be ridiculed all night that you can handle anything,” Jenner said.
Alex is a recent graduate of the journalism school at the University of Texas at Austin. She has written for the Texas Observer, the Austin Chronicle, KUT, and ORANGE Magazine.