- Tom Steyer calls for reparations Tuesday 9:05 PM
- Etika mural added as official PokéStop in Pokémon Go Tuesday 8:35 PM
- Debate devolves into candidates shouting ‘math’ at each other Tuesday 8:19 PM
- Bloomberg rolls his eyes when challenged over sexist comments Tuesday 8:18 PM
- Bloomberg almost accidentally claims he ‘bought’ Congress Tuesday 8:03 PM
- ‘Dick Pound’ and ‘Bisexual Men Exist’ trend together–Twitter goes wild Tuesday 7:54 PM
- James Charles receives backlash over ‘racist’ imitation of Latinx TikTok character, Rosa Tuesday 7:06 PM
- Video shows people harassing elderly Asian man while he collects cans Tuesday 6:23 PM
- Bob Iger steps down as Disney CEO, prompting conspiracy theories Tuesday 5:53 PM
- Bhad Bhabie threatens to kill Skai Jackson amid feud involving their moms Tuesday 4:51 PM
- Body camera shows officer boasting about arresting a 6-year-old Tuesday 3:58 PM
- Singer Duffy opens up about the rape, captivity that led her to stop singing Tuesday 3:51 PM
- Cynthia Nixon embodies feminist rage in viral video Tuesday 3:30 PM
- Samsung factory shuts down amid confirmed coronavirus case Tuesday 3:08 PM
- Bebe Rexha says she won’t be ‘imprisoned’ by bipolar disorder Tuesday 2:33 PM
The LGBTQ community and its allies continue to brace themselves as names from Donald Trump’s potential cabinet begin to surface. Ben Carson, one of the people predicted to fill the role of Health and Human Services secretary, according to Politico, has been no ally to LGBTQ people. He’s compared same-sex marriage to bestiality, believes marriage equality is a “Marxist plot,” homosexuality is a choice (inexplicably caused by prison rape), and LGBTQ people should be more tolerant toward people who don’t believe they should have rights.
The Health and Human Services secretary oversees the protection of “health and well-being of all Americans…by providing for effective health and human services and fostering advances in medicine, public health, and social services,” according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services website. As someone who believes that “transgender people are the height of absurdity” and biology outweighs identity, the trans community has a very valid reason to be concerned about their health care and well-being under a HHS headed by Carson. The HHS also provides most of the funds for Planned Parenthood, where many people—especially women, people of color, and the LGBTQ community—receive crucial healthcare and educational services. Oh, and in case you were wondering, no, Carson does not hold very charitable views of the organization.
Trump’s administration is shaping up to include many members who have voted against policies promoting rights for LGBTQ people or have previously made comments promising to limit those rights including Majority Leader Paul Ryan and Vice President-elect Mike Pence, as well as the president-elect himself.
Mehak Anwar is a reporter whose work focuses on LGBTQ rights, intersectional feminism, and race. Her byline has appeared in Bustle and the Huffington Post.