- Netflix thriller ‘Earthquake Bird’ can’t solve its own mystery Monday 4:45 PM
- Goop is selling an expensive ‘restraining arts’ BDSM kit Monday 4:17 PM
- Body positivity actress Lili Reinhart calls out Photoshopping app Monday 3:42 PM
- ‘Rick and Morty’ zeroes in on connections and leans into familiar territory Monday 3:30 PM
- People are sharing photos of how much they’ve changed in a decade Monday 2:30 PM
- A few of our favorite things on Newegg are on sale for Black Friday Monday 2:15 PM
- Disney adds ‘Bob’s Burgers’ movie back to release schedule after accidentally yanking it Monday 2:02 PM
- Ocasio-Cortez launches petition demanding Stephen Miller’s resignation Monday 1:24 PM
- Prince Andrew’s defense against child sex crimes stokes conspiracy theory flames Monday 1:20 PM
- More people may be looking to cancel Disney+ than Netflix Monday 1:09 PM
- Monday Night Football: How to stream Chiefs vs. Chargers live Monday 1:00 PM
- After days of deadly protests, Iran implements ‘largest internet shutdown ever’ Monday 12:55 PM
- ‘Disney Plus and thrust’ is apparently the new Netflix and Chill Monday 12:32 PM
- Woman fired, sued after coworker shared their sexts Monday 12:22 PM
- Group running GoFundMe for border wall breaks ground without permits Monday 11:47 AM
The LGBTQ community and its allies continue to brace themselves as names from Donald Trump’s potential cabinet begin to surface. Ben Carson, one of the people predicted to fill the role of Health and Human Services secretary, according to Politico, has been no ally to LGBTQ people. He’s compared same-sex marriage to bestiality, believes marriage equality is a “Marxist plot,” homosexuality is a choice (inexplicably caused by prison rape), and LGBTQ people should be more tolerant toward people who don’t believe they should have rights.
The Health and Human Services secretary oversees the protection of “health and well-being of all Americans…by providing for effective health and human services and fostering advances in medicine, public health, and social services,” according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services website. As someone who believes that “transgender people are the height of absurdity” and biology outweighs identity, the trans community has a very valid reason to be concerned about their health care and well-being under a HHS headed by Carson. The HHS also provides most of the funds for Planned Parenthood, where many people—especially women, people of color, and the LGBTQ community—receive crucial healthcare and educational services. Oh, and in case you were wondering, no, Carson does not hold very charitable views of the organization.
Trump’s administration is shaping up to include many members who have voted against policies promoting rights for LGBTQ people or have previously made comments promising to limit those rights including Majority Leader Paul Ryan and Vice President-elect Mike Pence, as well as the president-elect himself.
Mehak Anwar is a reporter whose work focuses on LGBTQ rights, intersectional feminism, and race. Her byline has appeared in Bustle and the Huffington Post.