- 7 fortune-telling sites for when you’re bored 7 Months Ago
- Governor bans sex puns on free condom wrappers 7 Months Ago
- Is Justin Bieber’s ‘Yummy’ video secretly about Pizzagate? Today 1:01 PM
- Woah Vicky rips out her hair in botched cultural appropriation attempt Today 12:30 PM
- Here’s an exclusive look at ‘Weathering With You’ Today 11:57 AM
- TikTok dudes are dipping their balls in soy sauce for ‘science’ Today 11:49 AM
- Pete Buttigieg’s denial of fixing bread prices becomes its own meme Today 11:10 AM
- Houston Astros get torched with buzzer memes after new revelation Today 10:41 AM
- Teens are eating cereal out of each other’s mouths for clout Today 10:34 AM
- Did Martha McSally plan her ‘liberal hack’ viral moment? Today 10:32 AM
- Trump adds Jeffrey Epstein’s old attorney to impeachment team Today 10:03 AM
- YouTube star Cameron Dallas gets scathing reviews for his Broadway debut Today 9:58 AM
- How to watch ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm’ season 10 Today 9:55 AM
- George Lucas met Baby Yoda, and we can’t handle it Today 8:45 AM
- Apple TV+’s ‘Little America’ shines a light on immigrant stories Today 8:00 AM
Getting ready for summer? Need back-to-school supplies? Searching for some birthday presents? Have some big projects you need new tools to complete? No matter what you’re looking for, chances are you’ll find a great deal on Prime Day, the annual sales bonanza from Amazon. Deals typically don’t last long, so you’ll need to prepare some in advance. Here’s everything you need to know about Prime Day.
What is Prime Day?
Prime Day is Amazon‘s annual sale. It’s essentially a summertime version of the holiday’s Cyber Monday and Black Friday deal days. It usually takes place in July and offers Prime customers deals and savings across all categories of products and services.
When is Amazon Prime Day 2019?
In 2019, Prime Day begins at midnight Pacific Time on Monday, July 15 and will run for 48 hours, offering members more than 1 million deals around the world.
The history of Amazon Prime Day
Amazon Prime Day started in 2015, as a way to celebrate Amazon’s 20th birthday.
“Next week, Amazon turns 20 and on the eve of its birthday, the company introduces Prime Day, a new global shopping event, offering more deals than Black Friday, exclusively for Prime members,” Amazon explained in a press release.
Prime members purchased more than 14 million items on that first Prime Day.
What kind of deals will be available?
There will be a set amount of “Deals of the Day” offering discounted products and services, as well as “Lightning Deals,” which will be available for set periods of time. Last year, Amazon live-blogged throughout Prime Day, which served as a useful tool to discover deals throughout the day.
Amazon Prime Day facts and figures
On Amazon Prime Day in 2018, Prime members bought:
- More than 500,000 toys
- More than 65,000 sets of headphones
- More than 190,000 pet products
- More than 287,000 items of clothing
- More than 400,000 beauty products
- More than 248,000 lawn and garden products
- More than 59,000 sports tech items
2018’s Amazon Prime Day was actually longer than a day, clocking in at 36 hours and offering 1 million deals worldwide. Last year’s Prime Day even overshadowed Black Friday and Cyber Monday as well as Prime Day 2017 to become “the biggest shopping event in Amazon history.”
How to participate in Prime Day
Prime Day deals are only available to Amazon Prime subscribers. Prime costs $119 per year and comes will all sorts of perks, like free two-day shipping on Prime products, access to Amazon’s Prime Video library, discounts at Whole Foods and more. (You can learn more about Prime benefits here.)
If you’re not already a Prime member, you can sign up for a free trial and reap the benefits of Prime Day.
Looking for more help? Here’s what you need to know about Amazon Alexa and how to use Amazon Alexa as an intercom system, Amazon Map Tracking, Amazon Prime Pantry, Amazon Lockers, Amazon Prime Wardrobe, how to sell on Amazon, Amazon Prime membership and if it’s really worth it.
Curious about Prime Video? Here are the best Amazon originals, the best documentaries on Amazon Prime, what’s new on Amazon, the best 4K movies, Amazon original movies, alien movies, and the sexiest movies you can stream right now. Looking for something more specific? Here are the best comedies on Amazon Prime when you need a laugh, sad movies to make you cry, kids movies for the whole family, the best thrillers to get your heart racing, and the classic movies on Amazon Prime everyone should see. If that’s not enough, here are the best Amazon Prime channels.
Amy-Mae Turner is a tech reporter who focuses on gadgets, streaming entertainment, social media, and internet lingo. She previously served as a senior features writer for Mashable.