- How to stream Browns vs. Buccaneers in key preseason action 2 Years Ago
- Harness the power of sun: The best solar-powered phone charges Today 6:00 AM
- Majority of threats made since El Paso and Dayton shootings have been made online Thursday 8:00 PM
- Miley Cyrus tweets about cheating allegations and penis cake drama Thursday 6:32 PM
- ‘The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance’ dazzles with a timely tale Thursday 6:00 PM
- The DOJ emailed a white nationalist blog post to immigration judges Thursday 5:31 PM
- The Amazon rainforest is on fire–and people are using memes to cope Thursday 4:11 PM
- Microsoft contractors listened in on Xbox users Thursday 2:15 PM
- Anti-vaxxer assaults pro-vaccine lawmaker on Facebook Live (updated) Thursday 2:15 PM
- Oreos licked by singer Lewis Capaldi are being auctioned off on eBay Thursday 1:54 PM
- Zach Braff predicted Sean Spicer would be on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ 2 years ago Thursday 1:38 PM
- NYPD sergeant who watched Eric Garner die punished with lost vacation days Thursday 1:27 PM
- Brie Larson haters have a meltdown over a joke about Thor’s hammer Thursday 1:26 PM
- This comedian attempted to make fun of women on Twitter—and it did not go over well Thursday 1:04 PM
- Logan Paul wants to help the Amazon rainforest Thursday 12:36 PM
It seems like Amazon is taking over the internet—and the world, potentially. Like an endless, oversized supermarket, the online giant offers everything from fresh food to electronics to instant videos delivered directly to your doorstep. A yearly Amazon Prime membership can give you access to exclusive benefits like two-day shipping and free music streaming, making an annual membership worth considering.
But is it really worth it for you to shell out for a membership? If you’re not sure if you’re ready to commit to an Amazon Prime, here are a few key price points to help you decide.
How much does Amazon Prime cost?
Amazon Prime cost: Regular membership
An Amazon Prime membership costs $99 per year. The yearly fee will get you Prime’s famous one- or two-day shipping for free, as well as other benefits like Prime Music, Prime Pantry, and Prime Video, which is also available as a standalone streaming service for $8.99 per month. (Note: Amazon Prime membership is actually cheaper than paying for a full year of Prime Video.)
Members can also choose to be charged on a monthly basis, but it’s slightly more expensive—$10.99, which amounts to $32 more annually.
- The best Amazon Alexa eggs
- Amazon Alexa is the home assistant you never knew you needed
- How to install Kodi on Amazon Fire
Amazon Prime cost: For students
Students enrolled in a college or university gets half-off of their membership and special deals since they’re already pinching pennies. Prime Student start off with a free six-month trial that includes free two-day shipping, unlimited streaming of Prime movies and TV shows, photo storage, and exclusive Prime deals.
After the free trial ends, Students will then receive 50 percent off of their Amazon Prime membership with all the special benefits.
- The Amazon Fire Stick can help you finally cut the cord
- Chromecast vs Roku vs Amazon Fire: What’s best for you?
- Amazon’s Fire TV Edition makes streaming in 4K easy
- The best movies on Amazon Prime
Amazon Prime cost: For families
Amazon Household lets an adult share benefits with someone else in their “household” or just someone they trust. A joint account gives both parties the same benefits as a personal membership, including Prime Now, Amazon Instant Video, and Prime Twitch. How you decide to split the cost of membership is up to you.
If a child is added to a household, the adult managing the account can set parental controls with Amazon FreeTime. FreeTime places limitations on time spent on a certain device and blocks specific sites, products, or pages, creating tailored experiences that are safe for kids to click through.
Amazon Prime cost: How to get your money’s worth
If you want to know if Amazon Prime is worth it, check out our full rundown on all of the services and perks it unlocks. The fastest way to get your money’s worth on Amazon Prime, however, is to load up your streaming queue. Here are the best Amazon originals, the best documentaries on Amazon Prime, what’s new on Amazon, the best movies you can watch in stunning 4K Ultra HD, and the sexiest movies you can stream right now.
Editor’s note: This article is regularly updated for relevance.
The Daily Dot may receive a payment in connection with purchases of products or services featured in this article. Click here to learn more.
Kristen Hubby is a tech and lifestyle reporter. Her writing focuses on sex, pop culture, streaming entertainment, and social media, with an emphasis on major platforms like Snapchat, YouTube, and Spotify. Her work has also appeared in Austin Monthly and the Austin American-Statesman, where she covered local news and the dining scene in Austin, Texas.