- MrBeast impersonator tricks kid into destroying his XBox 1 Year Ago
- This mom has the perfect nickname for her nonbinary kid 1 Year Ago
- Netflix tests pop-out player that will allow viewers to multitask Today 11:44 AM
- Man allowed to sue media publishers over readers’ Facebook comments Today 11:42 AM
- Republicans slammed for joke about ‘heavily armed militia’ at Oregon statehouse Today 11:30 AM
- New bill wants tech companies to tell you how much your data is worth Today 10:53 AM
- AOC has the best response to Steve King’s ‘concentration camp’ criticism Today 10:19 AM
- Did Jake Paul and Tana Mongeau just get engaged? Today 9:26 AM
- Leaked documents reveal all the ‘red flags’ about Trump officials Today 9:02 AM
- Elon Musk, who wants to colonize space, thought the moon was Mars Today 8:56 AM
- How to watch ‘Legion’ for free Today 8:46 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Bolívar’ reduces hero’s tale to irredeemable melodrama Today 8:18 AM
- How to watch the U.S. vs. Spain at the World Cup for free Today 7:55 AM
- How to watch ‘The Hills: New Beginnings’ for free Today 7:40 AM
- Inside the pornographic video game that took Kickstarter by storm Today 7:00 AM
Twitter admits to exposing nearly 700,000 people to Russian propaganda
The amount of Russian propaganda is staggering.
In a new report detailing findings of its investigation on Russian efforts to influence the election, Twitter revealed that 677,775 people in the U.S. had either followed, retweeted, or liked a tweet from at least one account potentially connected to a propaganda effort by the Internet Research Agency (IRA). The IRA is a Russian government-linked “troll farm” that also exposed 126 million Facebook users to Russian propaganda.
Twitter identified and suspended 3,814 IRA-linked accounts—which posted 175,993 tweets, about 8.4 percent of which were election-related. However, Twitter identified a total of 50,258 Russian-linked automated accounts, which tweeted election-related content during the presidential election—.016 percent of the total Twitter account at the time, the company asserted.
Twitter says it is emailing notifications to the account holders who were exposed to the propaganda. And while the company suspended the accounts and related content, it included several examples of IRA-linked tweets, four conservative-leaning tweets, and one liberal-leaning.
As part of its effort to increase security and “information quality” to prevent further abuse, the company has created new systems to identify automated tweets, and it has improved phone verifications. It’s also partnered with media literacy programs to help users identify news sources with integrity.
“We recognize that Twitter is an important part of a larger ecosystem of how news and information spreads online, and that we have a responsibility to support external programs that empower our users, connecting them with resources to give them control over their online experience,” the Twitter report states.
H/T the Verge
Samantha Grasso is a former IRL staff writer for the Daily Dot with a reporting emphasis on immigration. Her work has appeared on Los Angeles Magazine, Death And Taxes, Revelist, Texts From Last Night, Austin Monthly, and she has previously contributed to Texas Monthly.