- How to live stream Guadalajara vs. Atletico Madrid 6 Years Ago
- Forget Area 51—People are planning to storm the Bermuda Triangle 6 Years Ago
- It’s too late to book a room for the Area 51 raid 6 Years Ago
- Adam Sandler’s next Netflix film is a star-studded Halloween comedy 6 Years Ago
- How to live stream Arsenal vs. Real Madrid Today 12:06 PM
- Netflix’s ‘7SEEDS’ is an abominable adaptation of the original manga Today 11:59 AM
- Alinity Divine hasn’t been punished for throwing her cat—and people are livid Today 10:16 AM
- Gamer Krucial B passes away during Defend the North tournament Today 9:25 AM
- Brexit supporter Boris Johnson becomes prime minister—spawning lots of memes Today 9:16 AM
- Democrats want to ban use of facial recognition in public housing Today 8:29 AM
- In America’s meme war, the left and right are fighting different battles Today 8:10 AM
- Mahershala Ali’s ‘Blade’ movie won’t arrive until Phase 5 of the MCU Today 7:18 AM
- Natalie Portman isn’t playing ‘female Thor’—she’s ‘Mighty Thor’ Today 7:08 AM
- How to watch ‘Breaking Bad’ online Today 7:00 AM
- Controversial Instagram influencer plans event called ‘The Scam’ Today 7:00 AM
Earlier today, the online digital currency Bitcoin hit $30 per coin for the first time since 2011. Yesterday, it got the endorsement of another high-profile online group.
It’s been a good week for Bitcoin. Earlier today, the online digital currency hit $30 per coin for the first time since 2011. Yesterday, it got the endorsement of another high-profile online group.
Fans of the Internet Archive can now donate to the digital library in Bitcoins, the nonprofit announced Thursday. In fact, some employees have actually requested to be paid in Bitcoins, according to the Archive’s press release.
The Internet Archive hosts 10 petabytes (or 10,000,000,000,000,000 bytes) of digital cultural material, from movies to music to historical snapshots of the entire Internet (via the Archive’s popular Wayback Machine tool). It has 200 employees.
The Archive’s founder expressed his admiration for Bitcoins on Wednesday. Brewster Kahle called the online currency the “local currency” of the Internet.
“I feel like I am part of a club, and it is fun,” he added.
Philanthropic Bitcoin hoarders can dump their digital riches here, at the Archive’s Bitcoin address: 17gN64BPHtxi4mEM3qWrxdwhieUvRq8R2r.
Kevin Morris is a veteran web reporter and editor who specializes in longform journalism. He led the Daily Dot’s esports vertical and, following its acquisition by GAMURS in late 2016, launched Dot Esports, where he serves as the site’s editor-in-chief.