- Ryan Reynolds’ gin company hires Peloton wife for ad 6 Years Ago
- Ex-vegan YouTuber accused of fraud after following meat-only diet 6 Years Ago
- The 15 best Disney+ hidden gems and deep cuts Today 12:23 PM
- Everyone in GoFundMe scam involving homeless veteran has now pleaded guilty Today 12:06 PM
- Boy invites kindergarten class to his adoption–and people are emotional Today 11:56 AM
- Reddit links leaked trade deal documents to Russian campaign Today 10:44 AM
- How to stream Alistair Overeem vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik Today 8:30 AM
- Amazon sends customers condoms and soap instead of Nintendo Switch Today 8:28 AM
- How to live stream Jermall Charlo vs. Dennis Hogan Today 8:00 AM
- Apple TV’s ‘Truth Be Told’ is a criminally dull drama Today 6:00 AM
- Thousands of Uber users have reported sexual assaults, company says Friday 5:40 PM
- ‘Astronomy Club’ reformats the sketch show Friday 4:58 PM
- Trump is concerned America’s toilets too weak Friday 3:53 PM
- Twitter users claim Billie Eilish is ‘over’ because she didn’t like Lady Gaga’s meat dress Friday 2:53 PM
- Nikki Haley says the Confederate flag was fine until Dylann Roof ‘hijacked’ it Friday 2:49 PM
This 4chan user bought a Lamborghini with $200K in Bitcoin
For the second time in the past two weeks, someone purchased a high-end luxury car using Bitcoin.
The 2014 Lamborghini Gallardo was purchased sight unseen from a dealership in Newport Beach, Calif., Tuesday.
The buyer, from 4chan’s technology board /g/, spent 216.8433 bitcoins—or $209,995—on the yellow supercar.
This information was found on three official documents from Lamborghini Newport Beach which were leaked online.The only person to have access to these documents are the buyer and the dealership, marketing director Cedric Davy told me this afternoon. And the dealership wasn’t the one to leak them, he added. (Click to enlarge.)
“It was a little surprising to us,” Davy, 33, said. “It’s interesting thing because after the first transaction, it’s something for us that went viral in a way we weren’t even considering. We got a lot of phone calls from people with interest in buying with Bitcoin.”
At the bottom of the third image there is 64 character long transaction number, e71a70ea0bdf3b510ec0a50d3119b6f36577af0390ee0b916f92a46c114db135. This number matches perfectly with what was posted on 4chan’s auto board /o/ Tuesday by the alleged buyer.
While the bill of sale is official, Davy added that the transaction will not be completed for about 72 hours. This is the time it takes for Bitpay, a third-party Bitcoin payment service, to verify the Bitcoins. Only after that happens will the identity of the buyer be revealed to Lamborghini Newport Beach.
Lamborghini Newport Beach made international news last week when it became one of the first luxury car dealers to accept Bitcoin as payment. The first car they sold to a a buyer waving a digital wallet was the Tesla Model S for 91.4 Bitcoins.
Since that purchase, and the subsequent press, the dealership has received about 20 serious calls about people interested in purchasing cars with Bitcoins
On a typical month, the dealership sells five new cars and about 15 used.
Considering Bitcoins meteoric rise in popularity, that will likely change.
“The first one was a surprise but now we’re a little bit more prepared,” Davy said.
Photo via Pilise Gábor/Wikimedia Commons
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.