- Here’s what’s coming and going on Hulu in July 2019 6 Years Ago
- This biotech company’s logo is almost straight out of Resident Evil Today 1:26 PM
- Trump says mass deportations to start next week Today 12:28 PM
- GOP pollster bothered by broken elevator in Austria blames socialism Today 10:50 AM
- YouTuber renames small town ‘Gay Hell’ to defy Trump Pride policy Today 10:43 AM
- John Cusack blames Twitter bot for anti-Semitic tweet Today 10:18 AM
- YouTube rapper who glorifies pimping has been charged with human trafficking Today 10:09 AM
- Amy Klobuchar lists net neutrality as part of her 100-day plan for presidency Today 8:54 AM
- Reddit just banned the NBA Streams subreddit Today 8:17 AM
- How to watch ‘Drunk History’ for free Today 8:00 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Unit 42’ soars on the chemistry of its unlikely lead partners Today 7:30 AM
- How to watch ‘Good Trouble’ for free Today 7:00 AM
- It’s time for Pete Buttigieg to claim his status as Short King Today 6:30 AM
- The best foreign-language TV shows on Netflix Today 6:00 AM
- Hasan Minhaj explains why your internet sucks in ‘Patriot Act’ episode, puts it on DVD Monday 8:41 PM
This 4chan user bought a Lamborghini with $200K in Bitcoin
For the second time in the past two weeks, someone purchased a high-end luxury car using Bitcoin.
The 2014 Lamborghini Gallardo was purchased sight unseen from a dealership in Newport Beach, Calif., Tuesday.
The buyer, from 4chan’s technology board /g/, spent 216.8433 bitcoins—or $209,995—on the yellow supercar.
This information was found on three official documents from Lamborghini Newport Beach which were leaked online.The only person to have access to these documents are the buyer and the dealership, marketing director Cedric Davy told me this afternoon. And the dealership wasn’t the one to leak them, he added. (Click to enlarge.)
“It was a little surprising to us,” Davy, 33, said. “It’s interesting thing because after the first transaction, it’s something for us that went viral in a way we weren’t even considering. We got a lot of phone calls from people with interest in buying with Bitcoin.”
At the bottom of the third image there is 64 character long transaction number, e71a70ea0bdf3b510ec0a50d3119b6f36577af0390ee0b916f92a46c114db135. This number matches perfectly with what was posted on 4chan’s auto board /o/ Tuesday by the alleged buyer.
While the bill of sale is official, Davy added that the transaction will not be completed for about 72 hours. This is the time it takes for Bitpay, a third-party Bitcoin payment service, to verify the Bitcoins. Only after that happens will the identity of the buyer be revealed to Lamborghini Newport Beach.
Lamborghini Newport Beach made international news last week when it became one of the first luxury car dealers to accept Bitcoin as payment. The first car they sold to a a buyer waving a digital wallet was the Tesla Model S for 91.4 Bitcoins.
Since that purchase, and the subsequent press, the dealership has received about 20 serious calls about people interested in purchasing cars with Bitcoins
On a typical month, the dealership sells five new cars and about 15 used.
Considering Bitcoins meteoric rise in popularity, that will likely change.
“The first one was a surprise but now we’re a little bit more prepared,” Davy said.
Photo via Pilise Gábor/Wikimedia Commons
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.