- Was Bloomberg owned harder on the debate stage or by Twitter? 8 Months Ago
- Make ‘Animal Crossing: New Horizons’ your desert island game 8 Months Ago
- Everyone’s trying to dance like Jennifer Lopez on TikTok Today 8:27 AM
- Why the coronavirus bioweapon theory persists Today 7:57 AM
- You won’t see deleted scenes on the ‘Rise of Skywalker’ home release Today 7:47 AM
- The return of ‘Star Wars: The Clone Wars’ throws you right back into the fight Today 7:00 AM
- Am I overreacting to a Facebook message from a dating app match? Today 6:00 AM
- Buttigieg, Klobuchar come together to laugh at Bloomberg Wednesday 10:29 PM
- Bernie Sanders calls Bloomberg’s wealth ‘grotesque’ to his face Wednesday 9:53 PM
- Angry Bloomberg asks debate moderators if he’s ‘chicken liver’ Wednesday 9:29 PM
- Elizabeth Warren savages everyone else’s healthcare plan Wednesday 9:07 PM
- K-Pop stans help push ‘Pooping for Kaitlin’ hashtag mocking Kent State gun girl Wednesday 8:54 PM
- Fans speculate after learning Pop Smoke posted address prior to fatal home invasion Wednesday 8:11 PM
- Jar of human tongues found in Florida has people shook Wednesday 6:39 PM
- Video of Blueface teaching Obama lookalike to dance is turning heads Wednesday 5:58 PM
Another day, another controversy in the YouTube beauty community.
This time, popular beauty YouTuber Jaclyn Hill is facing backlash after mold, hair, and beads were found on products in her new makeup line.
Hill just recently launched Jaclyn Cosmetics with a line of 20 lipsticks. The products sold out instantly, but shortly after, customers complained of broken lipsticks, as well as melted and moldy products.
These fibers are INSIDE the lipsticks. This couldnt have happened during quality control pic.twitter.com/R4LFYwU4Ri— imthebadguy (@somethinedgy) June 8, 2019
listen @jaclynhill if there is even a CHANCE that there is mold in these lipsticks, you OWE it to your customers to issue an immediate recall. do the right thing instead of doubling down on this disastrous launch @jaclyncosmetics pic.twitter.com/fU33SVqAki— spektader (@spektader) June 9, 2019
A plethora of beauty YouTubers took to the platform to express their frustration with the latest collection–with some calling her a liar and even canceling her.
In a video titled “THE TRUTH ABOUT JACLYN HILL COSMETICS LIPSTICKS,” Youtuber RawBeautyKristi used a microscope to show the hair, beds and pitting found in the lipstick.
Others are also whipping out microscopes to take a closer look at the lipsticks.
Many are reporting her to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or urging others to do so–citing safety concerns. There’s also a petition to have the makeup line recalled.
@Jaclynhill @jaclyncosmetics reported these to the FDA. they are not safe to use. My lips were burning after one application. These are disgusting and so are you for selling these to us pic.twitter.com/yRaNAza9Gy— Kristin (@Kristin48852040) June 10, 2019
Because no one wants to hold her accountable by filing a report with the FDA. If I owned the products I could but I don’t. pic.twitter.com/3BmIHvYqoQ— Zadidoll (@zadidoll) June 8, 2019
@RawBeautyKristi Please report the Jaclyn Hill lipsticks to the FDA those appear to be mold spores as the hairs are growing out of the lipstick. They are contaminated and need to be recalled for people’s safety. You can ingest lipstick when you wear it. Jaclyn is hiding.— Betsy M Garcia (@FoxQueen6) June 10, 2019
It you received a lipstick with bumps and hairs from Jaclyn Hill be aware that you can report her to the FDA. I'm not gonna go out of my way to get everyone to report her, but people should know that she is breaking FDA guidelines pic.twitter.com/h7C8jmAahS— Mystica (@mysticaa0) June 9, 2019
People are even posting their own conspiracy theories and making jokes about the controversy.
My Jaclyn Hill Cosmetics conspiracy theory: the lipsticks are old, I think they were ready for release ages ago but Jaclyn delayed the launch of her brand so that her ex wouldn’t get any $ from it during the divorce, so they’ve been sitting in a warehouse somewhere— Claire (@cheekytarot) June 9, 2019
@jaclyncosmetics #jaclyncosmetics #jaclynhill a photo found from 2016 that shows Jaclyn’s vanity with the exact lipstick component from her release. I believe that these are from the same batch and are years old, expired, molded, and mildewed. pic.twitter.com/9jhG3NDbBt— Holytesticletuesday (@Holytesticletu1) June 9, 2019
Jaclyn hill’s new lipsticks have more hair than Dr. Phil... pic.twitter.com/A14mQnz0xW— kiki (@Kiki_the_tiki) June 8, 2019
me trying to— kasia (@GhostOfKas) June 9, 2019
drama to my my boyfriend
when the FDA gets sick of Jaclyn Hill’s shit pic.twitter.com/j3RaJZo0xk— Dustin Dailey ♏️ (@ThreeDailey) June 10, 2019
In the midst of all the backlash, Hill responded to a tweet, which showed one of her lipsticks with hair on it. She claimed the type of gloves used in the factory were to blame.
“If any of you are receiving lipsticks like this…. Please know that this is NOT hair. My factory used brand new white gloves to do quality control & they shed all over my product. We switched to rubber gloves 2 days ago & will make sure this never happens again.”
So far, an official recall has not been announced.
- YouTuber’s new makeup line excludes dark-skinned people entirely
- Beauty YouTuber Tati Westbrook calls out her former mentoree James Charles in no-holds-barred video
- After feuding with James Charles, Tati Westbrook angers the YouTube community
- Has James Charles’ YouTube career been utterly destroyed?
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
H/T ET Canada
Dominic-Madori Davis is a recent graduate of the University of Southern California. She covers the internet, politics, and social issues.