- Christian movie review site blasts Netflix’s ‘The Family’ 4 Years Ago
- YouTube removes ‘coordinated’ channels spreading Hong Kong misinformation Today 8:58 AM
- Christina Hendricks reveals she was the hand model for ‘American Beauty’ Today 8:30 AM
- Why can’t independent feminist websites stay afloat? Today 8:17 AM
- Far-right troll Jacob Wohl scammed a Trump fan out of $25,000 Today 7:54 AM
- How to stream Browns vs. Buccaneers in key preseason action Today 7:02 AM
- Harness the power of sun: The best solar-powered phone chargers Today 6:00 AM
- Majority of threats made since El Paso and Dayton shootings have been made online Thursday 8:00 PM
- Miley Cyrus tweets about cheating allegations and penis cake drama Thursday 6:32 PM
- ‘The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance’ dazzles with a timely tale Thursday 6:00 PM
- The DOJ emailed a white nationalist blog post to immigration judges Thursday 5:31 PM
- The Amazon rainforest is on fire–and people are using memes to cope Thursday 4:11 PM
- Microsoft contractors listened in on Xbox users Thursday 2:15 PM
- Anti-vaxxer assaults pro-vaccine lawmaker on Facebook Live (updated) Thursday 2:15 PM
- Oreos licked by singer Lewis Capaldi are being auctioned off on eBay Thursday 1:54 PM
Since Jon Stewart announced his imminent retirement from The Daily Show‘s hosting chair earlier this year, fans, including the Daily Dot, have wondered who would be his replacement. According to a report by Variety, one of the names on the shortlist is Trevor Noah.
Variety, which cited a source “familiar with the matter,” noted that nothing has yet been set in stone; however, the process of selecting a new host seems to be rolling toward a conclusion.
Noah, a biracial, South Africa-born comedian, joined the show as a correspondent last year.
He may be a relatively new face in the United States, but he has a wealth of hosting experience in his native South Africa. Since first breaking into show business at the age of 18 as a soap opera actor, Noah has hosted a youth radio program, an educational show, a celebrity gossip TV show, a sports show, a dating game show, the South African Film and Television Awards, a reality TV competition, the South African Music Awards, and a late night talk show called Tonight With Trevor Noah.
A number of other obvious in-house candidates have taken themselves out of contention for the job. The husband-and-wife team of Jason Jones and Samantha Bee, who tag-teamed the hosting gig when Stewart was out sick last year, are decamping for their own shows on TBS.
Correspondent Jessica Williams may have had a cameo as the host of The Daily Show circa 2025 in Hot Tub Time Machine 2, but the comedian took herself out of contention with a series of tweets insisting she wasn’t a good fit for the role.
Here is Noah’s debut segment for The Daily Show:
Aaron Sankin is a former Senior Staff Writer at the Daily Dot who covered the intersection of politics, technology, online privacy, Twitter bots, and the role of dank memes in popular culture. He lives in Seattle, Washington. He joined the Center for Investigative Reporting in 2016.