- Justin Bieber fans are damaging one of Iceland’s top tourist spots Sunday 1:28 PM
- James Charles drops 41-minute response video to Tati Westbrook’s accusations Sunday 1:15 PM
- Watch what happens when this Twitch streamer quits his job on camera Sunday 12:25 PM
- Men are finally sharing their abortion stories Sunday 10:58 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Maria’ is a trigger-happy B-movie Sunday 9:07 AM
- How to stream Money in the Bank 2019 for free Sunday 9:00 AM
- How to watch ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8, episode 6 for free Sunday 8:00 AM
- These ‘Game of Thrones’ houses are gone forever Sunday 7:54 AM
- The 10 best anime movies on Hulu Sunday 7:00 AM
- Vibe TV puts a premium price tag on piracy Sunday 6:00 AM
- Twitter unites in collective confusion over ‘Democrats for Trump’ trending Saturday 2:28 PM
- YouTube star tweets and deletes video of his Black cousin ‘Peanut’ acting as a stool Saturday 1:04 PM
- The ‘Do you wash your legs in the shower’ debate has now escalated to feet Saturday 12:20 PM
- Trump posts a world-class golf score, and the internet laughs at him Saturday 10:46 AM
- Lili Reinhart dragged the ‘Game of Thrones’ petition, sparking debate about TV and ‘fan service’ Saturday 9:42 AM
Since Jon Stewart announced his imminent retirement from The Daily Show‘s hosting chair earlier this year, fans, including the Daily Dot, have wondered who would be his replacement. According to a report by Variety, one of the names on the shortlist is Trevor Noah.
Variety, which cited a source “familiar with the matter,” noted that nothing has yet been set in stone; however, the process of selecting a new host seems to be rolling toward a conclusion.
Noah, a biracial, South Africa-born comedian, joined the show as a correspondent last year.
He may be a relatively new face in the United States, but he has a wealth of hosting experience in his native South Africa. Since first breaking into show business at the age of 18 as a soap opera actor, Noah has hosted a youth radio program, an educational show, a celebrity gossip TV show, a sports show, a dating game show, the South African Film and Television Awards, a reality TV competition, the South African Music Awards, and a late night talk show called Tonight With Trevor Noah.
A number of other obvious in-house candidates have taken themselves out of contention for the job. The husband-and-wife team of Jason Jones and Samantha Bee, who tag-teamed the hosting gig when Stewart was out sick last year, are decamping for their own shows on TBS.
Correspondent Jessica Williams may have had a cameo as the host of The Daily Show circa 2025 in Hot Tub Time Machine 2, but the comedian took herself out of contention with a series of tweets insisting she wasn’t a good fit for the role.
Here is Noah’s debut segment for The Daily Show:
Aaron Sankin is a former Senior Staff Writer at the Daily Dot who covered the intersection of politics, technology, online privacy, Twitter bots, and the role of dank memes in popular culture. He lives in Seattle, Washington. He joined the Center for Investigative Reporting in 2016.