- Review: ‘Next in Fashion’ is Netflix’s latest attempt at reality TV 5 Years Ago
- What is Byte, and can it really compete with TikTok? 5 Years Ago
- Migrants are under social media surveillance—and that’s a problem for everyone Today 6:00 AM
- Gabrielle Union deserves better from Terry Crews Tuesday 11:12 PM
- T.I. publicly apologizes to daughters after Kobe Bryant’s death Tuesday 8:46 PM
- ‘Squash the boss’: Labor union seemingly unknowingly posted furry fetish art Tuesday 8:04 PM
- TikTok user pretending to be lab technician who has contracted coronavirus Tuesday 7:08 PM
- Caroline Calloway says she plans to campaign for Bernie Sanders Tuesday 6:23 PM
- Justin Bieber, Snoop Dogg, millions of others sign petition to make Kobe Bryant new NBA logo Tuesday 5:39 PM
- No, Lana Del Rey did not cry because Billie Eilish won album of the year Tuesday 4:48 PM
- People are exposing their eyeballs to phone flash for this TikTok challenge Tuesday 3:55 PM
- Watch Mike Bloomberg try to shake a dog’s mouth Tuesday 3:41 PM
- ‘Rey who?’ is the funniest meme to emerge from ‘The Rise of Skywalker’ Tuesday 3:30 PM
- AI beat the CDC to the punch on coronavirus warnings Tuesday 3:21 PM
- What exactly is a ‘large boulder the size of a small boulder’? Tuesday 2:49 PM
From showing up at bridal showers to sending out Christmas presents, Taylor Swift has a history of reaching out to her fans to make them feel special. But on Mother’s Day, a note that a Swiftie left on her Tumblr prompted her to drop everything and respond.
The message was from a young girl named Kaileen who was feeling especially lonely on the holiday after losing her mother last January.
“My mom was my best friend, the one I laughed with, the one I cried with, and the one I loved with my whole heart,” Kaileen wrote. She went on to tell Swift that her music “filled that hole” left by her mother’s absence. “You took me out of my sad place and made me happy. And because of you, I got through something that was the hardest thing in the world for me.”
The touching note struck a deeply personal chord with Swift, who announced just a month ago that her mother Andrea is currently battling cancer. The singer wrote back:
Kaileen- I love you so much and can’t imagine what you must be feeling today. You’ve lived through my worst fear. I’m so sorry you can’t spend today with her. It’s not fair, and there’s no reason why you should feel okay about it. No one should ever expect you to feel normal today. I admire and respect your ability to put forth such a sunny, sweet disposition when you’ve been through something so dark and tragic so recently. I never would’ve guessed by your attitude or your posts. I never would’ve known if you hadn’t told me. Sending you a huge hug today. Gonna go get iced coffee and cheers to you. 🙂
Kaileen, who goes by “iced coffee girl” on Tumblr, was elated by the singer’s response and took a series of selfies to commemorate her happiness.
“if you’ve ever wondered what pure happiness looks like, it’s this,” she wrote in the captions.
Greg Seals is a former social media producer and contributing writer for the Daily Dot. He specializes in creating and covering viral content on platforms that include Tumblr, Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter.