- Pete Buttigieg swears he’s not in the CIA 5 Years Ago
- Greta Thunberg named ‘Time’ 2019 person of the year 5 Years Ago
- The best gear and gadget gifts for Dad this holiday season Today 7:30 AM
- The 10 most important sci-fi films of the 2010s Today 7:00 AM
- Netflix advances beyond testosterone-fueled anime with subdued ‘Levius’ Today 6:00 AM
- Influencer accused of selling shirt she was supposed to promote Tuesday 8:42 PM
- Jameela Jamil dragged for comparing reproductive rights to landlord rights Tuesday 6:54 PM
- Trump campaign posts Thanos meme, totally misses point of ‘Endgame’ Tuesday 5:58 PM
- Petition calls for Apple to make a Baby Yoda emoji Tuesday 5:16 PM
- This BTS-Billie Eilish mashup is the most popular tweet of 2019 Tuesday 4:51 PM
- Michelle Wolf embraces vulgarity in ‘Joke Show’ Tuesday 4:24 PM
- Influencer gets 14 years in prison for trying to steal domain name at gunpoint Tuesday 4:14 PM
- ‘Three Days of Christmas’ is a delightfully dark holiday alternative to Hallmark Tuesday 3:55 PM
- The way Trump Jr. holds his own book inspires mockery Tuesday 3:47 PM
- Woman facing backlash for no longer wearing hijab in end of the decade photo Tuesday 3:16 PM
From showing up at bridal showers to sending out Christmas presents, Taylor Swift has a history of reaching out to her fans to make them feel special. But on Mother’s Day, a note that a Swiftie left on her Tumblr prompted her to drop everything and respond.
The message was from a young girl named Kaileen who was feeling especially lonely on the holiday after losing her mother last January.
“My mom was my best friend, the one I laughed with, the one I cried with, and the one I loved with my whole heart,” Kaileen wrote. She went on to tell Swift that her music “filled that hole” left by her mother’s absence. “You took me out of my sad place and made me happy. And because of you, I got through something that was the hardest thing in the world for me.”
The touching note struck a deeply personal chord with Swift, who announced just a month ago that her mother Andrea is currently battling cancer. The singer wrote back:
Kaileen- I love you so much and can’t imagine what you must be feeling today. You’ve lived through my worst fear. I’m so sorry you can’t spend today with her. It’s not fair, and there’s no reason why you should feel okay about it. No one should ever expect you to feel normal today. I admire and respect your ability to put forth such a sunny, sweet disposition when you’ve been through something so dark and tragic so recently. I never would’ve guessed by your attitude or your posts. I never would’ve known if you hadn’t told me. Sending you a huge hug today. Gonna go get iced coffee and cheers to you. 🙂
Kaileen, who goes by “iced coffee girl” on Tumblr, was elated by the singer’s response and took a series of selfies to commemorate her happiness.
“if you’ve ever wondered what pure happiness looks like, it’s this,” she wrote in the captions.
Greg Seals is a former social media producer and contributing writer for the Daily Dot. He specializes in creating and covering viral content on platforms that include Tumblr, Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter.