- The Meghan McCain ‘my father’ meme exemplifies every entitled white girl Thursday 8:11 PM
- Irony of Georgia’s sperm-reporting bill flies by anti-abortion advocates Thursday 7:11 PM
- Sex scandals are consuming the K-pop industry Thursday 5:44 PM
- Trump supporters are abandoning Fox News over network’s latest hire Thursday 5:20 PM
- QAnon is attacking a random woman in a disturbing and dangerous way Thursday 4:59 PM
- Google celebrates Bach with AI-powered, music-making doodle Thursday 4:53 PM
- RIP: The best free trial in all of streaming entertainment Thursday 2:19 PM
- Which ‘Florida Man’ are you? Thursday 1:06 PM
- Hundreds of millions of Facebook passwords were accessible to employees Thursday 12:55 PM
- ‘Bitch I’m Bella Thorne’ morphs into TikTok dyslexia meme Thursday 12:17 PM
- Marvel is auctioning props and costumes from Netflix’s ‘Defenders’ franchise Thursday 12:12 PM
- Net neutrality advocates plan online watch party for the ‘Save the Internet’ Act Thursday 12:01 PM
- Tim Cook turns his iPad meme into an AirPod meme Thursday 11:46 AM
- Auschwitz Memorial asks visitors to stop taking playful photos at Holocaust site Thursday 11:33 AM
- The best Korean beauty products for $15 or less Thursday 10:50 AM
Taylor Swift wrote a touching letter to a fan who lost her mom to cancer
“You’ve lived through my worst fear,” Swift, whose mom was recently diagnosed with cancer, wrote.
From showing up at bridal showers to sending out Christmas presents, Taylor Swift has a history of reaching out to her fans to make them feel special. But on Mother’s Day, a note that a Swiftie left on her Tumblr prompted her to drop everything and respond.
The message was from a young girl named Kaileen who was feeling especially lonely on the holiday after losing her mother last January.
“My mom was my best friend, the one I laughed with, the one I cried with, and the one I loved with my whole heart,” Kaileen wrote. She went on to tell Swift that her music “filled that hole” left by her mother’s absence. “You took me out of my sad place and made me happy. And because of you, I got through something that was the hardest thing in the world for me.”
The touching note struck a deeply personal chord with Swift, who announced just a month ago that her mother Andrea is currently battling cancer. The singer wrote back:
Kaileen- I love you so much and can’t imagine what you must be feeling today. You’ve lived through my worst fear. I’m so sorry you can’t spend today with her. It’s not fair, and there’s no reason why you should feel okay about it. No one should ever expect you to feel normal today. I admire and respect your ability to put forth such a sunny, sweet disposition when you’ve been through something so dark and tragic so recently. I never would’ve guessed by your attitude or your posts. I never would’ve known if you hadn’t told me. Sending you a huge hug today. Gonna go get iced coffee and cheers to you. 🙂
Kaileen, who goes by “iced coffee girl” on Tumblr, was elated by the singer’s response and took a series of selfies to commemorate her happiness.
“if you’ve ever wondered what pure happiness looks like, it’s this,” she wrote in the captions.
Greg Seals is a former social media producer and contributing writer for the Daily Dot. He specializes in creating and covering viral content on platforms that include Tumblr, Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter.