- How to stream Liverpool vs. Chelsea Friday 6:45 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Sevilla Friday 6:35 PM
- How to stream Peter ‘Kid Chocolate’ Quillin vs. Alfredo Angulo Friday 5:16 PM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Granada Friday 4:50 PM
- ‘Atlantics’ tells a ghost story steeped with emotion and realism Friday 4:16 PM
- ‘Jojo Rabbit’ is a sweet, singular movie that loses its grip on satire Friday 3:40 PM
- Jordan Peterson is in rehab for Klonopin addiction Friday 3:34 PM
- The cat-worshipping turkey cult video, explained Friday 3:22 PM
- Despite legal threats and drama, the Area 51 desert event is on Friday 3:05 PM
- How to stream Yair Rodriguez vs. Jeremy Stephens on UFC Fight Night Friday 3:00 PM
- Twitter just launched its ‘Hide Replies’ feature Friday 1:59 PM
- How to turn off image metadata before it snitches on you Friday 1:36 PM
- The ‘Breaking Bad’ movie is coming to theaters—for one weekend only Friday 1:04 PM
- Teens recorded, shared videos of mall fight that ended in fatal stabbing Friday 12:44 PM
- How to stream Giants vs. Buccaneers in Week 3 Friday 12:31 PM
Stephen Colbert resurrected a ‘Colbert Report’ bit for the RNC
For months, Stephen Colbert has tried to escape the shadow of himself—the satirical right-wing alter ego he perfected on The Colbert Report—as he settled into The Late Show with varying degrees of success and failure. But now that the Republican National Convention is upon us, Colbert is finally taking “Stephen Colbert” out of his comedic arsenal.
We already knew that Colbert’s time at the RNC would be full of antics, and we saw those as he brought his Julius Flickerman character (a riff on the Hunger Games announcer) with him and took over the stage. He even brought Jon Stewart out of late-night retirement to make sense of everything.
But even “Stephen Colbert” can’t make sense of what’s going on.
“Stephen Colbert” is back, and he’s got a hard dose of truthiness in a revival of “The Word” all about Donald Trump. It’s just as glorious as we remembered.
But the return of the Colbert Report personality does lend itself to a bigger question. Now that Colbert let Colbert out of the bag, will he be able to put him back in, or will that continue to hang over The Late Show?
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.