- ‘Friends’ gets reunion special on HBO Max, fans go wild Friday 7:37 PM
- Why you should drop everything and start reading ‘Lore Olympus’ Friday 6:27 PM
- ‘Boogaloo’ memes are trying to organize a second civil war—and they’re spreading fast Friday 3:48 PM
- People are disturbed by these McDonald’s-scented candles Friday 3:47 PM
- Season 2 of ‘The Witcher’ is in production Friday 3:16 PM
- Here are some cringey billboards Bloomberg ran in Arizona Friday 2:51 PM
- PewDiePie returns to YouTube after 37-day hiatus Friday 2:01 PM
- Why was a Republican Party Facebook page co-managed by someone in Turkmenistan? Friday 1:26 PM
- The shorthand guide to ‘Star Wars: The Clone Wars’ Friday 1:07 PM
- Congress urges Tinder to screen for sex offenders Friday 1:03 PM
- Video shows 9-year-old threatening suicide after being bullied Friday 12:01 PM
- Ex-Goldman Sachs CEO says he might vote Trump because Sanders is too mean to him Friday 11:40 AM
- Twitch streamer says she was banned for body painting Friday 11:39 AM
- Did BTS fans really cause TikTok to crash? (updated) Friday 11:08 AM
- People are selling homemade tampons on Etsy Friday 11:01 AM
Tennis superstar Serena Williams is a well-documented fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender, but one particular question about the show’s origin myth had her stumped this week until a fan stepped in on Twitter.
Over the years, Williams has casually revealed the extent of her fandom online and in interviews. She even voiced a minor character on the animated series and its followup, Legend of Korra. But late Monday night, the 23-time Grand Slam singles winner (and new mom) realized that something about the Nickelodeon show never quite made sense to her: “if the original benders were sky bisons, badger moles, and dragons; how does that tie in with Avatar Wan when the lion sea turtle gave all the people bending power?”
Avatar last air bender fans only: Question- If the original benders were the sky bisons, badger moles, and dragons; how does that tie in with Avatar Wan when the lion sea turtle gave all the people bending power?????— Serena Williams (@serenawilliams) March 20, 2018
It’s the kind of late-night thought that only a true Avatar-head would be prepared to engage in, but lucky for Williams, one fan was standing by with an answer.
@scotty_13_ got right back to the sports icon with some details: “he only bestowed the gifts to the avatar, not to each nation. the rest of the nations learned from the animals…”
The pair had a lively back-and-forth while Williams hashed out all of her followup questions, and after a couple replies she finally seemed satisfied with his explainer.
“Ok got it,” she concluded.
IM TWEETING WITH THE GREATEST FEMALE ATHLETE OF ALL TIME ABOUT AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER THIS IS HONESTLY THE BEST MOMENT IVE EVER HAD ON TWITTER pic.twitter.com/cT8sw9cLxh— chip skylark (@scotty_13_) March 20, 2018
Needless to say, she made Scotty’s night.
Christine Friar is a writer and editor in New York who focuses on streaming entertainment and internet culture. Her work has appeared in the Awl, the Fader, New York Magazine, Paper Magazine, Vogue, Elle, and more.