- Vibe TV puts a premium price tag on piracy 1 Year Ago
- Twitter unites in collective confusion over ‘Democrats for Trump’ trending Saturday 2:28 PM
- YouTube star tweets and deletes video of his Black cousin ‘Peanut’ acting as a stool Saturday 1:04 PM
- The ‘Do you wash your legs in the shower’ debate has now escalated to feet Saturday 12:20 PM
- Donald Trump posted a world-class golf score, and the internet laughs at him Saturday 10:46 AM
- Lili Reinhart dragged the ‘Game of Thrones’ petition, sparking debate about TV and ‘fan service’ Saturday 9:42 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 152 for free Saturday 8:00 AM
- People keep calling the ‘Game of Thrones’ creators by their initials—and it’s confusing D&D players Saturday 8:00 AM
- After infidelity and abuse accusations, ProJared said his wife wanted an open marriage Saturday 7:40 AM
- ‘Jailbirds’ prioritizes petty drama over insight Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to stream Deontay Wilder vs. Dominic Breazeale for free Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to live stream Josh Taylor vs. Ivan Baranchyk on DAZN Saturday 6:00 AM
- Kim Kardashian West reveals her and Kanye’s 4th child is named Psalm Friday 6:38 PM
- Tan France and Alexa Chung are hosting Netflix’s first fashion show Friday 5:42 PM
- Nonprofit groups express concern with pop-up abortion networks Friday 5:06 PM
Serena Williams has some existential questions about ‘Avatar: The Last Airbender’
She made one fan’s night.
Tennis superstar Serena Williams is a well-documented fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender, but one particular question about the show’s origin myth had her stumped this week until a fan stepped in on Twitter.
Over the years, Williams has casually revealed the extent of her fandom online and in interviews. She even voiced a minor character on the animated series and its followup, Legend of Korra. But late Monday night, the 23-time Grand Slam singles winner (and new mom) realized that something about the Nickelodeon show never quite made sense to her: “if the original benders were sky bisons, badger moles, and dragons; how does that tie in with Avatar Wan when the lion sea turtle gave all the people bending power?”
Avatar last air bender fans only: Question- If the original benders were the sky bisons, badger moles, and dragons; how does that tie in with Avatar Wan when the lion sea turtle gave all the people bending power?????
— Serena Williams (@serenawilliams) March 20, 2018
It’s the kind of late-night thought that only a true Avatar-head would be prepared to engage in, but lucky for Williams, one fan was standing by with an answer.
@scotty_13_ got right back to the sports icon with some details: “he only bestowed the gifts to the avatar, not to each nation. the rest of the nations learned from the animals…”
The pair had a lively back-and-forth while Williams hashed out all of her followup questions, and after a couple replies she finally seemed satisfied with his explainer.
“Ok got it,” she concluded.
IM TWEETING WITH THE GREATEST FEMALE ATHLETE OF ALL TIME ABOUT AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER THIS IS HONESTLY THE BEST MOMENT IVE EVER HAD ON TWITTER pic.twitter.com/cT8sw9cLxh
— chip skylark (@scotty_13_) March 20, 2018
Needless to say, she made Scotty’s night.
Christine Friar is a writer and editor in New York who focuses on streaming entertainment and internet culture. Her work has appeared in the Awl, the Fader, New York Magazine, Paper Magazine, Vogue, Elle, and more.