- The new ‘Cats’ trailer is here to make you want to claw your eyes out Thursday 7:59 PM
- Bella Thorne claims Tana Mongeau ‘broke girl code’ in a series of messy tweets Thursday 7:00 PM
- Redditors keep this data engineer’s plants alive for him Thursday 5:20 PM
- Professor writes article defending ‘Asian romantic preference’—and no one is here for it Thursday 4:57 PM
- Ditch Pornhub and support adult content creators instead Thursday 4:46 PM
- Fans grieve Kyoto Animation Studio fire with #PrayforKyoAni Thursday 4:18 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Secret Obsession’ isn’t just terrible—it’s boring as hell Thursday 3:30 PM
- Instagram expands experiment of hiding likes to 6 more countries Thursday 3:20 PM
- Man asks woman to stop speaking Spanish on a plane—and bystanders start speaking Spanish Thursday 12:55 PM
- Schumer calls on FBI, FTC to investigate FaceApp Thursday 12:41 PM
- Netflix loses subscribers—but hopes some tentpole shows can save it Thursday 12:10 PM
- Man utterly roasted for saying women can’t ask for equality in revealing clothing Thursday 12:07 PM
- Instagram struggles to remove photos of Bianca Devins’ dead body Thursday 11:14 AM
- ‘Storm Area 51’ creator says its gotten so big he’s worried about the FBI Thursday 10:49 AM
- Everyone loves Q baby, the baby who apparently supports QAnon Thursday 9:53 AM
Serena Williams has some existential questions about ‘Avatar: The Last Airbender’
She made one fan’s night.
Tennis superstar Serena Williams is a well-documented fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender, but one particular question about the show’s origin myth had her stumped this week until a fan stepped in on Twitter.
Over the years, Williams has casually revealed the extent of her fandom online and in interviews. She even voiced a minor character on the animated series and its followup, Legend of Korra. But late Monday night, the 23-time Grand Slam singles winner (and new mom) realized that something about the Nickelodeon show never quite made sense to her: “if the original benders were sky bisons, badger moles, and dragons; how does that tie in with Avatar Wan when the lion sea turtle gave all the people bending power?”
Avatar last air bender fans only: Question- If the original benders were the sky bisons, badger moles, and dragons; how does that tie in with Avatar Wan when the lion sea turtle gave all the people bending power?????— Serena Williams (@serenawilliams) March 20, 2018
It’s the kind of late-night thought that only a true Avatar-head would be prepared to engage in, but lucky for Williams, one fan was standing by with an answer.
@scotty_13_ got right back to the sports icon with some details: “he only bestowed the gifts to the avatar, not to each nation. the rest of the nations learned from the animals…”
The pair had a lively back-and-forth while Williams hashed out all of her followup questions, and after a couple replies she finally seemed satisfied with his explainer.
“Ok got it,” she concluded.
IM TWEETING WITH THE GREATEST FEMALE ATHLETE OF ALL TIME ABOUT AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER THIS IS HONESTLY THE BEST MOMENT IVE EVER HAD ON TWITTER pic.twitter.com/cT8sw9cLxh— chip skylark (@scotty_13_) March 20, 2018
Needless to say, she made Scotty’s night.
Christine Friar is a writer and editor in New York who focuses on streaming entertainment and internet culture. Her work has appeared in the Awl, the Fader, New York Magazine, Paper Magazine, Vogue, Elle, and more.