- Animator for Netflix’s ‘Carmen Sandiego’ says he was fired after asking for fair pay Sunday 3:17 PM
- YouTube reverses decision to remove creators’ badges Sunday 1:47 PM
- How video game developer Valve got served secret subpoena as part of FBI’s counterterrorism fight Sunday 12:31 PM
- Aron Eisenberg, ‘Star Trek: Deep Space Nine’ actor, dead at 50 Sunday 11:35 AM
- Who needs glass slippers? This Cinderella cosplayer upgraded with a stunning glass arm Sunday 10:19 AM
- How to check if Yahoo owes you $358 Sunday 9:25 AM
- How to stream Bears vs. Redskins on Monday Night Football Sunday 7:00 AM
- What are the best alternatives to the electoral college? Sunday 6:30 AM
- The best PS4 games you can’t play anywhere else Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 Emmy Awards Sunday 5:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 5 Sunday 4:00 AM
- Former developer at software company deletes his code to protest its ties to ICE Saturday 4:21 PM
- A mysterious website is doxing Hong Kong protesters and journalists Saturday 1:44 PM
- The best ‘Skyrim’ followers and how to get them Saturday 1:26 PM
- Why Joel Osteen gets cyberbullied every time Houston floods Saturday 12:40 PM
Tennis superstar Serena Williams is a well-documented fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender, but one particular question about the show’s origin myth had her stumped this week until a fan stepped in on Twitter.
Over the years, Williams has casually revealed the extent of her fandom online and in interviews. She even voiced a minor character on the animated series and its followup, Legend of Korra. But late Monday night, the 23-time Grand Slam singles winner (and new mom) realized that something about the Nickelodeon show never quite made sense to her: “if the original benders were sky bisons, badger moles, and dragons; how does that tie in with Avatar Wan when the lion sea turtle gave all the people bending power?”
Avatar last air bender fans only: Question- If the original benders were the sky bisons, badger moles, and dragons; how does that tie in with Avatar Wan when the lion sea turtle gave all the people bending power?????— Serena Williams (@serenawilliams) March 20, 2018
It’s the kind of late-night thought that only a true Avatar-head would be prepared to engage in, but lucky for Williams, one fan was standing by with an answer.
@scotty_13_ got right back to the sports icon with some details: “he only bestowed the gifts to the avatar, not to each nation. the rest of the nations learned from the animals…”
The pair had a lively back-and-forth while Williams hashed out all of her followup questions, and after a couple replies she finally seemed satisfied with his explainer.
“Ok got it,” she concluded.
IM TWEETING WITH THE GREATEST FEMALE ATHLETE OF ALL TIME ABOUT AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER THIS IS HONESTLY THE BEST MOMENT IVE EVER HAD ON TWITTER pic.twitter.com/cT8sw9cLxh— chip skylark (@scotty_13_) March 20, 2018
Needless to say, she made Scotty’s night.
Christine Friar is a writer and editor in New York who focuses on streaming entertainment and internet culture. Her work has appeared in the Awl, the Fader, New York Magazine, Paper Magazine, Vogue, Elle, and more.