- Influencer got trapped under ice for TikTok clout, ‘came close to dying’ Thursday 7:59 PM
- #BernieBruh puts new spin on ‘Bernie Bro’ label, showcases support among Black voters Thursday 6:58 PM
- Camila María Concepcíon, trans activist and Netflix writer, dies at 28 Thursday 5:46 PM
- Chrissy Teigen calls out fan who made weird comment about her daughter’s feet Thursday 4:57 PM
- TikTok’s ‘clean queen’ says videos are helping her figure out ‘adulting’ Thursday 4:12 PM
- Clearview clients include ICE, Macy’s, Best Buy, leaked data reveals Thursday 4:08 PM
- Women are clamoring to get their photos on a Twitter feed of ‘hot mugshots’ Thursday 4:06 PM
- ‘Love Is Blind’ finale: Somehow, real love emerged from this dystopian setting Thursday 3:57 PM
- Creator of ‘Say So’ TikTok dance appears in Doja Cat music video Thursday 3:51 PM
- Is TikTok’s algorithm actually pretty racist? Thursday 3:45 PM
- Fans freaking out over ‘Say My Name’ horror remix featured in Jordan Peele’s ‘Candyman’ Thursday 3:33 PM
- CDC graphic warns most facial hair isn’t compatible with coronavirus protection measures Thursday 1:31 PM
- Tutoring website refuses to take down ad sexualizing Asian women Thursday 1:24 PM
- MSNBC pundit loses air time after saying Sanders staffers are ‘island of misfit Black girls’ Thursday 12:36 PM
- Court says YouTube isn’t subject to First Amendment scrutiny Thursday 11:06 AM
The New England Patriots and the Seattle Seahawks will face off in the Super Bowl on Sunday for what will hopefully be the most interesting mashup in recent memory. But thanks to Conan O’Brien, two of Sunday’s biggest stars have been given a chance they won’t get on game day: to play directly against each other.
Marshawn Lynch and Rob Gronkowski won’t be on the field at the same time on Sunday since they both play offensive positions. On Conan, however, they found themselves on a different playing field: Mortal Kombat X, courtesy of Conan’s recurring “Clueless Gamer” segment. With Gronkowski’s experience playing Mortal Kombat as a kid and Lynch’s claim that he’ll button-mash, anything could happen.
Between the graphics and the gore, it’s not your old-school arcade game. There’s a fair amount of disgust—and in O’Brien’s case, a “sexual thrill”—to go around. Both players actually seemed to be having fun with it. Gronkowski had plenty of phallic jokes, while Lynch asked O’Brien at one point if he was on drugs.
May this newly forged rivalry bleed into the older one on Sunday.
Screengrab via Team Coco/YouTube
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.