- ‘Atlantics’ tells a ghost story steeped with emotion and realism 5 Years Ago
- ‘Jojo Rabbit’ is a sweet, singular movie that loses its grip on satire 5 Years Ago
- Jordan Peterson is in rehab for Klonopin addiction 5 Years Ago
- The cat-worshipping turkey cult video, explained 5 Years Ago
- Despite legal threats and drama, the Area 51 desert event is on Today 3:05 PM
- How to stream Yair Rodriguez vs. Jeremy Stephens on UFC Fight Night Today 3:00 PM
- Twitter just launched its ‘Hide Replies’ feature Today 1:59 PM
- How to turn off image metadata before it snitches on you Today 1:36 PM
- The ‘Breaking Bad’ movie is coming to theaters—for one weekend only Today 1:04 PM
- Teens recorded, shared videos of mall fight that ended in fatal stabbing Today 12:44 PM
- How to stream Giants vs. Buccaneers in Week 3 Today 12:31 PM
- Report: Ben Carson made transphobic comments at HUD meeting Today 12:30 PM
- Where to buy the Switch Lite and everything else you need to know Today 12:28 PM
- Facebook is experimenting with apps targeting teens Today 12:21 PM
- #LiveFromTheArea51Raid: Memes and highlights from the desert Today 12:06 PM
The New England Patriots and the Seattle Seahawks will face off in the Super Bowl on Sunday for what will hopefully be the most interesting mashup in recent memory. But thanks to Conan O’Brien, two of Sunday’s biggest stars have been given a chance they won’t get on game day: to play directly against each other.
Marshawn Lynch and Rob Gronkowski won’t be on the field at the same time on Sunday since they both play offensive positions. On Conan, however, they found themselves on a different playing field: Mortal Kombat X, courtesy of Conan’s recurring “Clueless Gamer” segment. With Gronkowski’s experience playing Mortal Kombat as a kid and Lynch’s claim that he’ll button-mash, anything could happen.
Between the graphics and the gore, it’s not your old-school arcade game. There’s a fair amount of disgust—and in O’Brien’s case, a “sexual thrill”—to go around. Both players actually seemed to be having fun with it. Gronkowski had plenty of phallic jokes, while Lynch asked O’Brien at one point if he was on drugs.
May this newly forged rivalry bleed into the older one on Sunday.
Screengrab via Team Coco/YouTube
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.