- Gynecologist explains why garlic shouldn’t go in vaginas Wednesday 7:08 PM
- People on Twitter are posting the 5 weirdest jobs they’ve had for this meme Wednesday 6:48 PM
- Mortal Kombat 11’s Jax ends slavery—and gamers are pissed Wednesday 5:46 PM
- GPS app gave hacker ability to remotely shut off car engines Wednesday 3:58 PM
- Scott Walker wore jeans for sexual assault awareness, and Twitter is reminding him of his misogynist past Wednesday 3:24 PM
- Hacked Lime scooters make sexual comments to riders Wednesday 3:03 PM
- ‘Bonding’ squanders its potential with weak jokes and limp structure Wednesday 2:49 PM
- The safest place for ‘Game of Thrones’ memes is in the crypts Wednesday 2:23 PM
- Report: Fortnite developer Epic Games is working employees into the ground Wednesday 1:57 PM
- Damian Lillard’s game-winning 3-pointer inspired a plethora of memes Wednesday 12:17 PM
- Gamers are blaming socialism for making the women in Mortal Kombat ‘ugly’ Wednesday 11:36 AM
- Nickelodeon is selling SpongeBob toys based on popular memes Wednesday 11:25 AM
- Alex Jones protests outside the White House by shouting the name of his website Wednesday 11:13 AM
- ‘I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson’ has an absurd conclusion for every scenario Wednesday 10:52 AM
- Twitch star TF Blade banned for racial slur—but he swears he didn’t say it Wednesday 10:43 AM
It’s left us with even more questions.
The HowToBasic YouTube account is an absurdist comedy channel that teaches you how to accomplish mundane everyday tasks by giving you the worst tutorials you can imagine. It’s hilarious, and almost nobody knows who runs it.
Which is probably why the video below, titled Face Reveal, reached more than 12 million views in less than two days. After reaching 10 million subscribers, the creator or creators of the channel aimed to unmask themselves so everybody could give credit to the dastardly mind(s) that created videos like this.
In the unmasking video, though, we finally get to discover who has taken us on all of these disturbing egg-smashing rides.
It’s revealed that it’s Michael Stevens of Vsauce who has tantalized us with this channel for the past seven years. Until, that is, Max Stanley of maxmoefoe shows up and proves that he’s actually the real brains behind the channel. Which is then countered by a number of top YouTubers who scream and shout and cajole that they are, in fact, the real HowToBasic.
It’s a mind-boggling “I’m Spartacus” moment.
So, we still might not know who’s behind HowToBasic. But YouTube commenter Small Might made an excellent point.
“In a way, aren’t we all HowToBasic?” they wrote. “Aren’t we all just showing people how to do stuff? And how to do it the wrong way? I am HowToBasic, you are HowToBasic… we all are HowToBasic!”
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.