- How #TCOT gave birth to Trump 1 Week Ago
- The ultimate cord-cutting guide for bilingual families Today 5:00 AM
- Boys’ sleepovers vs. girls’ sleepovers meme takes stereotypes to absurd heights Tuesday 7:30 PM
- Petition wants Keanu Reeves to be named ‘Time Person of the Year’ Tuesday 6:33 PM
- 8 women accuse Max Landis of sexual, emotional abuse Tuesday 5:37 PM
- Taylor Swift accused of copying Beyoncé—again Tuesday 5:00 PM
- Everything you need to know about Libra, Facebook’s new cryptocurrency Tuesday 4:45 PM
- Netflix just renewed ‘Queer Eye’ for 2 more seasons Tuesday 4:32 PM
- YouTube’s queen of failed robots just unveiled a one-of-a-kind Tesla truck Tuesday 3:58 PM
- AOC infuriates conservatives with ‘concentration camps’ remark Tuesday 3:33 PM
- TikTok users explore identity with Lin Manuel Miranda-inspired meme Tuesday 3:24 PM
- TikTok apology video inspires new duet meme Tuesday 2:51 PM
- Man sues brewery after identifying as female to get beer discount Tuesday 2:31 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Hulu in July 2019 Tuesday 2:22 PM
- This biotech company’s logo is almost straight out of Resident Evil Tuesday 1:26 PM
Halsey pays tribute to assaulted lesbian couple, rips ‘straight pride’ parade during London concert
The lesbian couple was attacked after refusing to kiss for a group of men. Halsey wore a shirt that had the now-viral of the photo of the bloodied women on it.
She assured the crowd that her concert was a safe space, and then encouraged them to continue supporting the LGBTQ community–even after Pride Month is over.
“The sad reality is after the Pride parades are over and after the bars close their Pride nights, when the glitter is being swept out of the streets, a lot of people get on those trains, get on those buses, and try to wash the rainbows off their bodies and peel the stickers off their clothes,” she said to the crowd in London.
Halsey getting a room full of queer kids to scream “I WILL NOT BE AFRAID” after two women were beaten for being gay in the exact same town she’s performing in. She’s wearing a shirt with their faces on the front, and “FUCK YOUR STRAIGHT PRIDE” on the back. pic.twitter.com/VssWprS3gX
— Sucker!! (AKA Becca!!) (@iamsuckeriam) June 10, 2019
More than 2.5 million people have watched the video, posted on Twitter, of her heartfelt speech.
She also addressed the proposed “straight pride” parade, which is supposed to be held in Boston.
The back of her shirt read, “Fuck your straight pride.”
“So when the people around the world ask the question, ‘why isn’t there a straight pride parade?’ The answer is: because if there was one you wouldn’t have to get on the bus and be terrified of getting fucking beaten and killed afterwards,” Halsey said.
People loved Halsey’s unabashed tribute and straight pride slam.
— Chun-Luis (@LuisVegasNM) June 11, 2019
Twitter user Jenna Maxwell perfectly summed up why the queer community found Halsey’s response so incredibly moving.
“This is what support looks like” Maxwell wrote.
This is what support looks like. Not a rainbow label once a year. It’s tangible actual action and someone saying I am here. I stand by you.
— Jenna Maxwell (@J_Rose8) June 11, 2019
- Lesbian couple reportedly assaulted after refusing to kiss for men
- A charity severed ties with trans model following a columnist’s transphobic tweet about the partnership
- Report: Trans asylum seeker dies after being held in ICE custody
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
H/T BuzzFeed News
Alyse Stanley is a video game and culture reporter based in Virginia with words at Polygon and USGamer. When she’s not writing about memes, she edits Unwinnable’s monthly magazine. You can follow her on Twitter @pithyalyse.