- Eric Trump says cocktail waitress spit on him in Chicago bar 2 Weeks Ago
- Maine governor signs net neutrality bill into law 2 Weeks Ago
- How the QAnon movement continues without its messenger Today 8:26 AM
- 6 best Korean beauty products for summer Today 8:17 AM
- ‘The Office’ is leaving Netflix in 2021 Today 7:46 AM
- How to install the iOS 13 beta and test out its best new features Today 7:42 AM
- Swipe This! I want my boyfriend to text me everyday. Is that crazy? Today 7:30 AM
- Why every 2020 Democrat is canceled Today 7:01 AM
- The best LGBTQ movies and series on Amazon Prime Today 7:00 AM
- The easiest way to stream all the soccer you can handle Today 6:00 AM
- Facebook refused to take down this blackface page for 4 months Today 5:30 AM
- Tom Holland rescues fan getting squashed by autograph hounds Tuesday 7:14 PM
- What is incel ‘Chadfishing’? Tuesday 6:36 PM
- Facebook to give France data on users suspected of hate speech Tuesday 5:29 PM
- This 89-year-old man is stunned by all the technology around him—in 1930 Tuesday 5:21 PM
Halsey pays tribute to assaulted lesbian couple, rips ‘straight pride’ parade during London concert
The lesbian couple was attacked after refusing to kiss for a group of men. Halsey wore a shirt that had the now-viral of the photo of the bloodied women on it.
She assured the crowd that her concert was a safe space, and then encouraged them to continue supporting the LGBTQ community–even after Pride Month is over.
“The sad reality is after the Pride parades are over and after the bars close their Pride nights, when the glitter is being swept out of the streets, a lot of people get on those trains, get on those buses, and try to wash the rainbows off their bodies and peel the stickers off their clothes,” she said to the crowd in London.
Halsey getting a room full of queer kids to scream “I WILL NOT BE AFRAID” after two women were beaten for being gay in the exact same town she’s performing in. She’s wearing a shirt with their faces on the front, and “FUCK YOUR STRAIGHT PRIDE” on the back. pic.twitter.com/VssWprS3gX
— Sucker!! (AKA Becca!!) (@iamsuckeriam) June 10, 2019
More than 2.5 million people have watched the video, posted on Twitter, of her heartfelt speech.
She also addressed the proposed “straight pride” parade, which is supposed to be held in Boston.
The back of her shirt read, “Fuck your straight pride.”
“So when the people around the world ask the question, ‘why isn’t there a straight pride parade?’ The answer is: because if there was one you wouldn’t have to get on the bus and be terrified of getting fucking beaten and killed afterwards,” Halsey said.
People loved Halsey’s unabashed tribute and straight pride slam.
— Chun-Luis (@LuisVegasNM) June 11, 2019
Twitter user Jenna Maxwell perfectly summed up why the queer community found Halsey’s response so incredibly moving.
“This is what support looks like” Maxwell wrote.
This is what support looks like. Not a rainbow label once a year. It’s tangible actual action and someone saying I am here. I stand by you.
— Jenna Maxwell (@J_Rose8) June 11, 2019
- Lesbian couple reportedly assaulted after refusing to kiss for men
- A charity severed ties with trans model following a columnist’s transphobic tweet about the partnership
- Report: Trans asylum seeker dies after being held in ICE custody
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
H/T BuzzFeed News
Alyse Stanley is a video game and culture reporter based in Virginia with words at Polygon and USGamer. When she’s not writing about memes, she edits Unwinnable’s monthly magazine. You can follow her on Twitter @pithyalyse.