- Tom Holland rescues fan getting squashed by autograph hounds Tuesday 7:14 PM
- What is incel ‘Chadfishing’? Tuesday 6:36 PM
- Facebook to give France data on users suspected of hate speech Tuesday 5:29 PM
- This 89-year-old man is stunned by all the technology around him—in 1930 Tuesday 5:21 PM
- Wayfair refuses to stop furnishing migrant detention centers Tuesday 4:48 PM
- Woah! How did Keanu Reeves get so small? Tuesday 4:37 PM
- The centrist argument against Sanders’ student loan plan is getting ripped apart Tuesday 4:08 PM
- Jonathan Frakes confirms that you’re right in yet another meme Tuesday 3:56 PM
- Meryl Streep, Ariana Grande set to star in Netflix’s ‘The Prom’ Tuesday 3:35 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ Season 3 goodies are here just in time Tuesday 3:01 PM
- Kim Kardashian’s shapewear line Kimono is already getting called out Tuesday 2:11 PM
- ‘Aggretsuko’ tones down the rage in season 2 Tuesday 1:13 PM
- TikTok is being used to call out predators Tuesday 12:41 PM
- Republican congressman wants to defund PBS over the gay rat wedding Tuesday 12:39 PM
- Elizabeth Warren calls for sweeping overhaul of U.S. elections Tuesday 11:47 AM
Trump congratulates Patriots following shocking Super Bowl comeback
By the time Lady Gaga was diving onstage for her halftime performance at Super Bowl 51, the Patriots were trailing 28-3 against the Falcons. No one expected they would turn things around—let alone complete the largest comeback in Super Bowl history and beat the Falcons, 34-28.
But they did.
Viewers everywhere went nuts as the game went into overtime for the first time in Super Bowl history and Tom Brady earned himself his fifth Super Bowl win, breaking Super records Sunday for the most passing yards and the most completions in a single game.
“What an amazing comeback and win by the Patriots,” he tweeted. “Tom Brady, Bob Kraft and Coach B are total winners. Wow!”
What an amazing comeback and win by the Patriots. Tom Brady, Bob Kraft and Coach B are total winners. Wow!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 6, 2017
Unfortunately, POTUS left his viewing party when the game seemed out of hand for his preferred team.
President Trump wasn’t the only politician to tweet about the evening. Hillary Clinton also shared congratulations, although they were aimed at Lady Gaga, not Tom Brady.
Other celebrities shared their amusement, shock, and pride at the win by the Patriots.
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! GREATEST SPORTING EVENT OF MY ENTIRE LIFE!!!! CONGRATULATIONS NEW ENGLAD PATRIOTS!!!!
— Chris Evans (@ChrisEvans) February 6, 2017
G O A T.
— Justin Timberlake (@jtimberlake) February 6, 2017
Two weeks ago I said never bet against Tom Brady. I picked Atlanta because I thought the teams were even. Congrats to my friend Bob Kraft!
— Larry King (@kingsthings) February 6, 2017
As celebrities tweeted their excitement, other viewers turned to memes to express themselves. Most notably, fans used Lady Gaga’s halftime performance to usher in savage memes.
Tess Cagle is a reporter who focuses on politics, lifestyle, and streaming entertainment. Her work has appeared in the New York Times, Texas Monthly, the Austin American-Statesman, Damn Joan, and Community Impact Newspaper. She’s also a portrait, events, and live music photographer in Central Texas.