- In season 2, ‘Succession’ has quietly become one of the best shows on TV Sunday 9:10 PM
- Alexa Demie shares the beauty inspiration behind ‘Euphoria’s’ Maddy Sunday 5:47 PM
- Fans just discovered Lizzo’s old YouTube channel–and it’s full of gems Sunday 4:22 PM
- The ‘Final Destination’ movies are now streaming on Hulu Sunday 2:44 PM
- Marvel asked ‘Maus’ author to remove Trump reference from essay–he refused Sunday 2:02 PM
- Counselors reportedly pressured to share private info about Facebook moderators Sunday 1:20 PM
- Barstool Sports founder under investigation for anti-union tweets Sunday 12:34 PM
- Harmony Korine’s ‘The Beach Bum’ is now streaming on Hulu Sunday 12:19 PM
- How an Instagram feud led to the death of 9-year-old girl Sunday 11:08 AM
- A scarier ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ extended director’s cut is coming to Blu-ray Sunday 9:15 AM
- The 9 best podcasts for kids that entertain and educate Sunday 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Sunday 6:00 AM
- The 25 Tom Cruise movies that are essential viewing Sunday 6:00 AM
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
By the time Lady Gaga was diving onstage for her halftime performance at Super Bowl 51, the Patriots were trailing 28-3 against the Falcons. No one expected they would turn things around—let alone complete the largest comeback in Super Bowl history and beat the Falcons, 34-28.
But they did.
Viewers everywhere went nuts as the game went into overtime for the first time in Super Bowl history and Tom Brady earned himself his fifth Super Bowl win, breaking Super records Sunday for the most passing yards and the most completions in a single game.
“What an amazing comeback and win by the Patriots,” he tweeted. “Tom Brady, Bob Kraft and Coach B are total winners. Wow!”
What an amazing comeback and win by the Patriots. Tom Brady, Bob Kraft and Coach B are total winners. Wow!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 6, 2017
Unfortunately, POTUS left his viewing party when the game seemed out of hand for his preferred team.
President Trump wasn’t the only politician to tweet about the evening. Hillary Clinton also shared congratulations, although they were aimed at Lady Gaga, not Tom Brady.
Other celebrities shared their amusement, shock, and pride at the win by the Patriots.
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! GREATEST SPORTING EVENT OF MY ENTIRE LIFE!!!! CONGRATULATIONS NEW ENGLAD PATRIOTS!!!!
— Chris Evans (@ChrisEvans) February 6, 2017
G O A T.
— Justin Timberlake (@jtimberlake) February 6, 2017
Two weeks ago I said never bet against Tom Brady. I picked Atlanta because I thought the teams were even. Congrats to my friend Bob Kraft!
— Larry King (@kingsthings) February 6, 2017
As celebrities tweeted their excitement, other viewers turned to memes to express themselves. Most notably, fans used Lady Gaga’s halftime performance to usher in savage memes.
Tess Cagle is a reporter who focuses on politics, lifestyle, and streaming entertainment. Her work has appeared in the New York Times, Texas Monthly, the Austin American-Statesman, Damn Joan, and Community Impact Newspaper. She’s also a portrait, events, and live music photographer in Central Texas.