- Woman slammed for trying to put UPS driver on blast Sunday 5:23 PM
- Twitter users are sharing which celebrities have blocked them Sunday 4:43 PM
- Conspiracy theorists are already taking advantage of Kobe Bryant’s death Sunday 4:14 PM
- Adam Driver returns to ‘SNL’ as Kylo Ren to reprise role in ‘Undercover Boss’ parody Sunday 3:46 PM
- White men are raging over ‘SNL’s’ white male rage skit Sunday 3:05 PM
- Kobe Bryant dead at 41 Sunday 2:24 PM
- Pete Buttigieg mocked over ‘staged’ walking photo Sunday 12:22 PM
- Louise Linton deletes pro-Greta Thunberg Instagram post Sunday 10:58 AM
- ‘Crip Camp’ shows how a radical summer camp was monumental to the disability rights movement Sunday 9:08 AM
- How to live stream the 2020 Grammy Awards Sunday 7:00 AM
- Technology created deepfakes—does it have a way to stop them, too? Sunday 6:30 AM
- SESTA-FOSTA is ‘detrimental’ to sex workers’ safety, study confirms Sunday 6:00 AM
- Jeff Bezos’ girlfriend allegedly sent his nudes to her brother, who then leaked them Saturday 6:38 PM
- This Instagram account catches influencers in the wild Saturday 5:42 PM
- The best upcoming video games to look out for in February 2020 Saturday 5:23 PM
BTS member Kim Nam-joon, know to his fans as RM, revealed during a recent live stream that he has gone through more than 30 pairs of AirPods.
While doing a Q&A over the weekend, the rapper responded to a commenter who said they’d lost their AirPods by noting that he had lost countless pairs of his own.
RM said he believed that he has lost around 33 pairs in total, currently putting him on his 34th pair.
K-pop fans reacted in astonishment at the staggering number.
Someone shared they lost their airpods, and RM clapped, saying there's someone he can become good friends with. He thinks he's on his THIRTY FOURTH (!!!) PAIR OF AIRPODS NOW, and that when he logs into his bluetooth he's able to mourn over all his old ones.— wisha ✨ (@doyou_bangtan) December 14, 2019
someone told namjoon they were sad about losing their airpods and he said he was on his 34th or so pair of airpods now ...... 34th .... pic.twitter.com/sRIq8JMejF— ً ella ♡ (@giggIykoo) December 14, 2019
One fan even calculated that RM has probably spent well over $6,000 on AirPods alone.
Others questioned where exactly all those AirPods went, while some vowed to find each and every last pair.
“What if he realizes all of his airpods are just under his couch or smth,” Twitter user @BTSBEINGBTSYT wrote.
what if he realizes all of his airpods are just under his couch or smth— Adam (@BTSBEINGBTSYT) December 14, 2019
i finally have an aim in my life. its to find all 33 airpods namjoon lost.— ruru | ia (@listenbts) December 14, 2019
Of course, remarks were also made about the star’s wealth given that he has been willing to dish out so much on a product that he will inevitably lose.
“I’ve never even touched an AirPod in my entire life, but Joon has already accomplished losing 33 pairs, incredible,” Twitter user @ChimmyChimney wrote.
NAMJOON SAID HE ALREADY LOST 33 PAIRS OF AIRPODS AND IS NOW IN HIS 34TH PLEASE THE KIND OF RICH THAT HE IS— rai (@kimvanadium) December 14, 2019
But no internet story would be complete without memes. Fans of RM envisioned the singer having to go to the Apple store over and over again.
joon ordering another one pair from apple store cuz he lost the airpod just seconds agopic.twitter.com/iLIKiOv9nH— ; (@kooksthong) December 14, 2019
Me trynna figure out why Joon doesn’t just hire me as his personal AirPod keeper instead of having to buy a new pair every 2 days pic.twitter.com/FGCl3vEzcB— [i.a.] (@_elmaria_jin) December 15, 2019
The internet doesn’t always react positively when it comes to AirPod-inspired displays of wealth.
Celebrity Chrissy Teigen drew criticism last month after stating her mother likewise went through numerous pairs of AirPods and treated them as if they were “disposable.”
The subject often leads to controversy given the environmental impact AirPods have as well.
But accidentally losing your AirPods isn’t the worst thing that can happen. Some users have reportedly misplaced their wireless earbuds by swallowing them. In one case, however, a man claimed he was eventually able to retrieve his undigested pair.
But not everyone swallows their AirPods on accident. Earlier this year, YouTubers began swallowing their AirPods in a desperate attempt to gain viral stardom.
- Chrissy Teigen apologizes for ‘tone-deaf’ AirPods tweet
- Pixel Buds 2 or Apple AirPods 2: Which are right for you?
- What to do if you’ve lost your AirPods charging case
- Our 5 favorite AirPod charging cases at every price point
Mikael Thalen is a tech and security reporter based in Seattle, covering social media, data breaches, hackers, and more.