- Instagram to restrict posts promoting diet culture and plastic surgery Wednesday 6:58 PM
- Apple wants to trademark ‘Slofie,’ its term for slow-motion selfies Wednesday 5:51 PM
- Fortnite leak reveals a Batman crossover event may be happening Wednesday 5:32 PM
- The explosion at a bull semen factory generated a lot of obvious jokes Wednesday 4:33 PM
- Jessica Jaymes, adult film star, dead at 43 Wednesday 4:18 PM
- How to stream Falcons vs. Colts in Week 3 Wednesday 4:05 PM
- Beto O’Rourke says he opposes police use of facial recognition tech Wednesday 4:01 PM
- Lawsuit alleges woman was kidnapped by Lyft driver and gang-raped Wednesday 3:19 PM
- Facebook and Ray-Ban want to replace smartphones with smart glasses Wednesday 3:13 PM
- Sirfetch’d is the gallant new Pokémon winning everyone’s heart Wednesday 3:09 PM
- Danielle Cohn’s dad says she’s not really 15 years old Wednesday 2:14 PM
- Chilling ad by Sandy Hook Promise features kids using school supplies during a shooting Wednesday 1:50 PM
- Don’t fall victim to this Venmo texting scam Wednesday 1:18 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Netflix in October 2019 Wednesday 12:55 PM
- Marvel just turned Goldballs into one of the most powerful X-Men Wednesday 12:33 PM
You’ve probably seen a series of weird, colorful toys while perusing the Dollar Store, or even in an overpriced rack of kitschy items at your local home goods store. They’re neon, fuzzy “worms” that look like those brightly-hued dusters you can pick up at the supermarket to clean your house with.
The toy is called a Worm On A String, and despite the fact that the toy has been around for years, with nothing particularly unique or exciting about it, people cannot stop talking about it.
Btw means— Jojjua (@BombermanHero) July 31, 2018
Worm on a string. pic.twitter.com/vb8VWGeSt1
The Worm On A String has popped up in Reddit meme communities over the last couple of years, but recently it’s infiltrated Twitter. And it looks like people can’t get enough of it.
WORM ON A STRING pic.twitter.com/Yy1xjIudiJ— kay tea (@glittrfreeze) August 8, 2018
worm on a string is a snack pic.twitter.com/Xpc8nr330F— ur fave is a snack (@urfavesasnack) August 9, 2018
worm on a string babey!! pic.twitter.com/gKfscU5z3A— ✨JOJO✨ @ commissions (@fresabean) August 8, 2018
WHY WOULD YOU SUFFER WHEN YOU COULD HAVE A WORM ON A STRING IN YOUR LIFE!!— sayori 🎀 (@embrvce) August 8, 2018
love them worms on a string. they're good buddies— monika! ♡ (@clubpresidcnt) August 8, 2018
WLW? No actually I’m a WOSLW.. (Worm On A String Loving Woman— Squidward’s House Party (@femmefaiItaIe) August 8, 2018
What do they do, anyway? Not a whole lot. They’re exceedingly simple. They move like worms and sport brightly-colored fur-covered exteriors, as well as a big ol’ pair of googly eyes. They have a string inside meant to help give them their wormlike movements, and they seem to move on their own. It’s all a fun trick, of course. They’re fun for messing about with for a few minutes. Or giving to a kid to play around with.
Maybe you even played with one before during class when you were a kid.
in fifth grade i had a worm on a string and i had a whole house for him inside my desk and i would take care of him instead of paying attention to my teacher— jay to the world ❄️ (@chiakittie) August 8, 2018
There are not for falling in love with, though.
Like or rt this if you’re— BROKE BASTARD (@lilbrokebastard) August 1, 2018
- a cheater
- a compulsive liar
- miss your ex
- talking to multiple people
- too friendly with others
- not good with communication
- in love with worm on a string
Nobody will ever know which one is you 🙂
Or…doing this with.
I wamt worm on a string to strangle me— 💙Tai💙 (@tainam0) August 8, 2018
The funny part is, this thing isn’t even technically called a “Worm On A String.” There’s a name for the “official” version of the toy: “Squirmels,” at least when you can find them packaged that way. They’re also apparently referred to as “Magic Twisty Worms.” That’s a little catchier than “Worm On A String,” though it also lacks the musical cadence that allows you to sing the name as if you were singing along to The Lonely Island’s “D**k In A Box.” Try it out, it totally works.
they.— kamu (@kamulinks) August 1, 2018
It can also be called a “Tricky Worm,” apparently.
What is even going on here, you guys? What is so exciting about this Worm On A String?
my original worm on a string only had one eye for some reason, i opened the one i just bough and it also has one eye instead of two. i screamed— ✩ frah @ favOriTe & ENIGMA (@hazawaP) August 9, 2018
The mystery as yet remains unsolved, but now we have the sudden urge to run out and purchase one of these colorful creatures. But mostly, we’re curious…do they actually work as advertised?
the chicks are better because every time I see those worm mother fuckers I think about how when I was little I watched a demonstration video and it made it seem like there was no string so when I got it I thought it moved on its own and it fucking didn't https://t.co/fIe7JS39jm— Jad son of Jabbert (@loudogbarking) August 8, 2018
The jury’s still out on that one.
Brittany Vincent has covered gaming, anime, tech, and entertainment for over a decade. When she’s not writing, she’s replaying Um Jammer Lammy or Day of the Tentacle for the hundredth time while pining for a Harvester sequel. Find her on Twitter @MolotovCupcake.