- A lonely grandma sought family to spend Christmas with on Craigslist Saturday 5:45 PM
- Airbnb bans white supremacists tied to Iron March forum Saturday 5:07 PM
- Did a Twitter user really get tricked into naming baby ‘Jack Ingof’? Saturday 4:46 PM
- State of emergency declared in New Orleans following ‘cyberattack’ Saturday 4:12 PM
- Video shows boy getting beat up–mom says it’s because he wore MAGA hat Saturday 3:54 PM
- Billboard changing albums chart to count YouTube streams Saturday 2:43 PM
- TikTok’s 20 most popular songs of 2019 Saturday 2:14 PM
- Greek gods memes are flooding Reddit thanks to TV reboot rumors Saturday 1:47 PM
- Anti-impeachment protesters aimlessly fumble through halls of Congress Saturday 12:54 PM
- Everything we know so far about the Xbox Series X Saturday 12:17 PM
- ASMR YouTuber Life with MaK says she was branded a ‘Nazi’ by online smear campaign Saturday 10:46 AM
- Voters duped by fake ex-Bloomberg intern’s tweet about being fired Saturday 9:47 AM
- HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ and the fantasy of competence Saturday 8:00 AM
- Cómo ver Kamaru Usman vs. Colby Covington en el UFC 245 Saturday 7:00 AM
- ‘Penis fish’ memes erupt after worms wash up on California coast Friday 5:58 PM
Two weeks ago, @soIoucity had never seen a hockey game. But after watching an exhilarating NHL playoff contest between the St. Louis Blues and Chicago Blackhawks late last month, he took to Twitter to express his satisfaction.
This was his ultimate conclusion.
This shit lit as Fuck Lmaooooooo
— Tony X. (@soIoucity) April 26, 2016
Fast forward to Tuesday, when Tony X.—whose real name is Anthony Holmes—attended his first hockey game. He was the Blues’ guest for their playoff matchup vs. the Dallas Stars, and he was pumped to be there.
“It’s been amazing, it’s kind of surreal,” Holmes told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “I still can’t believe it’s happening, even though it’s happening right now… I’ve taken more pictures tonight than I probably have in the last five years… It’s 10 times even more than what I thought it would be—you’re right here and you can feel the vibrations when they hit against the glass.”
Well, that’s probably because the Blues gifted him with second-row seats. But it doesn’t matter, because Holmes’ Twitter account caught fire as the game progressed.
And Holmes somehow couldn’t avoid both pleasing and displeasing his fans at the very same moment.
But most everybody who has watched hockey on TV and in person could tell you that watching it unfold directly in front of you is one of the most thrilling experiences in sports. So, when he was asked to reflect on his original conclusion—that “this shit lit as fuck”—Holmes didn’t need to alter his first statement.
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.