- Marco Rubio mocked for filming talking while driving socialism critique 4 Years Ago
- QAnon believer asks Trump’s campaign press secretary who Q is 4 Years Ago
- Octavia Spencer has discovered ‘Ma’ memes—and she can’t get enough Today 2:09 PM
- Meet the anti-Greta Thunberg, a climate ‘skeptic’ funded by the oil industry Today 1:12 PM
- Harvey Weinstein convicted of rape and sexual assault Today 12:56 PM
- Senator calls Facebook’s current election disinformation efforts ‘inadequate’ in letter Today 12:11 PM
- The Phillie Phanatic mascot unveils a slimmer makeover Today 11:56 AM
- YouTuber threatened with arrest after rapping about being a girl from Mecca Today 11:55 AM
- Video shows flat-Earther ‘daredevil’ crashing to death after homemade rocket fails Today 11:49 AM
- Cardi B defends Dwyane Wade’s daughter during Instagram Live Today 11:45 AM
- YouTube briefly shuts down beloved ‘lofi hip hop radio’ channel, launching a new meme Today 11:42 AM
- Neil deGrasse Tyson points out that Elsa from ‘Frozen’ has ‘horse-sized eyeballs’ Today 10:58 AM
- Republicans as Sanders rises: Watch out, we may vote for Trump Today 10:54 AM
- Amazon series ‘Hunters’ criticized by Auschwitz Memorial over fictionalized scene Today 10:45 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Gentefied’ is actually made for people of color Today 9:28 AM
Two weeks ago, @soIoucity had never seen a hockey game. But after watching an exhilarating NHL playoff contest between the St. Louis Blues and Chicago Blackhawks late last month, he took to Twitter to express his satisfaction.
This was his ultimate conclusion.
This shit lit as Fuck Lmaooooooo
— Tony X. (@soIoucity) April 26, 2016
Fast forward to Tuesday, when Tony X.—whose real name is Anthony Holmes—attended his first hockey game. He was the Blues’ guest for their playoff matchup vs. the Dallas Stars, and he was pumped to be there.
“It’s been amazing, it’s kind of surreal,” Holmes told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “I still can’t believe it’s happening, even though it’s happening right now… I’ve taken more pictures tonight than I probably have in the last five years… It’s 10 times even more than what I thought it would be—you’re right here and you can feel the vibrations when they hit against the glass.”
Well, that’s probably because the Blues gifted him with second-row seats. But it doesn’t matter, because Holmes’ Twitter account caught fire as the game progressed.
And Holmes somehow couldn’t avoid both pleasing and displeasing his fans at the very same moment.
But most everybody who has watched hockey on TV and in person could tell you that watching it unfold directly in front of you is one of the most thrilling experiences in sports. So, when he was asked to reflect on his original conclusion—that “this shit lit as fuck”—Holmes didn’t need to alter his first statement.
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.