- People found out how tall Olaf is–and now ‘Frozen’ is terrifying 3 Years Ago
- Rapper Juice WRLD dead at 21 Today 3:02 PM
- Embody Andrew Yang, fight other presidential candidates in video game Today 2:33 PM
- Ariana Grande spoke with TikTok teen who looks exactly like her Today 1:00 PM
- Beyoncé accused of paying dancers ‘low rates’ Today 11:58 AM
- Timmy Thick blasted for saying the N-word in comeback video Today 9:11 AM
- Netflix’s ‘The Confession Killer’ is a devastating and well-built portrait of a con artist Today 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! I’m ashamed to tell anyone about my online shopping habit Today 6:00 AM
- UPS facing backlash for thanking police after employee killed in shootout Saturday 5:02 PM
- Sanders campaign fires staffer after anti-Semitic, homophobic tweets surface Saturday 3:13 PM
- Brother Nature was attacked, says everyone just watched with phones out Saturday 2:45 PM
- Ryan Reynolds’ gin company hires Peloton wife for ad Saturday 1:24 PM
- Ex-vegan YouTuber accused of fraud after following meat-only diet Saturday 1:11 PM
- The 15 best Disney+ hidden gems and deep cuts Saturday 12:23 PM
- Everyone in GoFundMe scam involving homeless veteran has now pleaded guilty Saturday 12:06 PM
Quick, what’s something the kids love? Netflix, right?
And what’s something the kids hate? 9/11, right?
Mash them together and you’ve got relatable comedy gold, the kind of thing that can bring about some laughs from the millennials while getting young people to rise to the passionate defense of the Transportation Security Administration.
Sec. Kelly: “When you’re binge-watching Mad Men on Netflix, TSA is stopping an actual mad man with a loaded gun from boarding a flight”— Betsy Woodruff (@woodruffbets) April 18, 2017
That was Secretary of Homeland Security John Kelly on the much-maligned TSA and he … what’s the opposite of nailed it?
This might be the stupidest quote ever. https://t.co/cR9kmZ8AY1— Garrison Frost (@GarrisonFrost) April 18, 2017
It was a dumb statement that drew comparisons to some of Mike Huckabee’s worst tweets. But better yet, it led to Twitter trying to replicate the joke structure but intentionally fucking it up and failing.
"While you're binge-watching Broad City on Hulu, the TSA is making sure the Broads in this City are safe from terrorists." https://t.co/RbudKCzKdR— Mark T. Hrisho (@MarkTHrisho) April 18, 2017
Sec. Kelly: "When you're binge-watching Two Guys, A Girl And A Pizza Place, TSA is using two guys to stop a girl with a pizza from boa https://t.co/frzCZdZlJl— Dumb Bozo (@davelozo) April 18, 2017
"While you're watching Big Little Lies, TSA is making terrorists big little cry." https://t.co/yicMtz92ZW— Sam Adams (@SamuelAAdams) April 18, 2017
folks while you're watching bobs burgers on Hulu we're making sure a burger bob doesn't hulu a plane into the ground https://t.co/DqkWITlLUT— connor(the blog guy) (@rockiesVSconnor) April 18, 2017
"When you were binge-watching IRON FIST, a TSA agent was using a fist to--- you know what, I'm going to workshop this one a bit first" https://t.co/UHhXl9Nx5f— McGone (@the_mcgone) April 18, 2017
When you are binge-watching “The Blacklist,” the TSA is creating an actual blacklist. https://t.co/QSmHIeQxeD— Matt Viser (@mviser) April 18, 2017
"When you're binge-watching Orange Is The New Black on Netflix, TSA is stopping..."— Paul DeBruler (@misterpdb) April 18, 2017
/gets yanked off stage by an oversized comedy cane https://t.co/0fL1CiO8F8
While you're watching A Series of Unfortunate Events, TSA is preventing a series of unfortunate events https://t.co/XL7SALlClm— Mazel Tov Cocktail (@AdamSerwer) April 18, 2017
Sec. Kelly: "While you're laughing along to Fuller House, immigrants are sneaking over our borders making our country into a fuller house" https://t.co/i0wZ6txnv3— Robby Slowik (@RobbySlowik) April 18, 2017
"While you're hate-watching Girls on HBO, our administration is blocking access to health care and equal pay for actual girls." https://t.co/6KceFhj7Vl— Helen Kennedy (@HelenKennedy) April 18, 2017
While you're binge-watching "Man In The High Castle," TSA is probing a finger high in a man's as[ERROR: INTERNET CONNECTION LOST] https://t.co/FYjVmDtRnT— Adam Jacobi (@Adam_Jacobi) April 18, 2017
when you’re binge-watching Dave Chappelle’s new stand up specials on Netflix, our politicians are STANDING UP in the face of terrorists https://t.co/zCIZRaTOWu— Ham (@yourboyham11) April 18, 2017
"While you're binge-watching Luke Cage we're putting bad guys in REAL cages" https://t.co/6tWmX3zY5D— Tom Tomorrow (@tomtomorrow) April 18, 2017
Try it yourself. Pick a movie out right now. I’m gonna try it, without any previous thought, with the Last Jedi.
While you were watching the trailer for the Last Jedi, the TSA was using the Force of the federal government to prevent terrorists from boarding planes.
Many others also noted that a high-level Trump staffer once tried to take a gun on a plane.
So, there’s that, too.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]