- Conservative parliament member’s teabag photo spills serious tea 2 Years Ago
- Right-wing conspiracy theorists see coronavirus as a plot against Trump 2 Years Ago
- Chapo Trap House among leftist channels banned on Twitch for streaming Democratic debate Today 4:20 PM
- Meet Ryker, the world’s worst service dog Today 4:01 PM
- Far-right blogger claims Trump ordered arrest of Julian Assange Today 3:47 PM
- Reddit man wants to tell people he’s been with his girlfriend for one year instead of 6—for an incredibly dumb reason Today 2:18 PM
- John C. Reilly’s son Leo is a TikTok star Today 1:58 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: A friendship sails Today 1:52 PM
- For celebs, Kobe Bryant tattoos are all the rage Today 1:01 PM
- The internet has discovered Jim and Pam Halpert’s daughter—and she’s on TikTok Today 12:32 PM
- YouPorn launches adult-themed TikTok knock-off (updated) Today 12:29 PM
- Clearview AI client list reportedly stolen Today 11:56 AM
- Billie Eilish’s brother Finneas walks back on tone-deaf advice to young creatives Today 11:26 AM
- ‘Caronavirus’ trends after Trump misspells coronavirus Today 11:20 AM
- Conservative writer claims rape victims, trans people are most privileged Today 10:45 AM
Tom Holland, the 21-year-old British actor who plays Spider-Man, is beloved by fans for his good looks, his athleticism, and his ᶜᵘᵗᵉ ˡᶦᵗᵗˡᵉ ᵛᵒᶦᶜᵉ. On Twitter, it’s become a meme for Holland fans to post catchphrases from his Spider-Man promotional appearances in tiny superscript, signifying his slightly high-pitched peep.
i love how every marvel post gives tom holland the high voice tiny letters— thabes time (@bigairBONUS_) May 14, 2018
A couple of Holland Voice moments stand above the rest. One is when he was playing with Marvel action figures in a video for Entertainment Weekly:
“Best of friends, best of friends …” he quietly sang, while assembling various Avengers characters around his Spider-Man figure. Or, as Twitter rendered it: “ᵇᵉˢᵗ ᵒᶠ ᶠʳᶦᵉⁿᵈˢ, ᵇᵉˢᵗ ᵒᶠ ᶠʳᶦᵉⁿᵈˢ”
ᵇᵉˢᵗ ᵒᶠ ᶠʳᶦᵉⁿᵈˢ ᵇᵉˢᵗ ᵒᶠ ᶠʳᶦᵉⁿᵈˢ— シ (@unbuckied) May 13, 2018
ᶦᵐ ᵃ ˡᶦᵗᵗˡᵉ ˢᶜᵃʳᵉᵈ ᵃᵗ ʸᵒᵘ ⁿᵒᵗ ᵍᵒⁿⁿᵃ ˡᶦᵉ~ is the cutest thing ever istg pic.twitter.com/Buw8EsaBrQ
ᴮᴱˢᵀ ᴼᶠ ᶠᴿᴵᴱᴱᴱᴱᴺᴰˢ— ༄ was lNFlNlTYW4R ! (@Iokisluts) May 12, 2018
ᴮᴱˢᵀ ᴼᶠ ᶠᴿᴵᴱᴱᴱᴱᴱᴱᴺᴰˢ
ᴵᴹ ᴬ ᴸᴵᵀᵀᴸᴱ ˢᶜᴬᴿᴱᴰ ᴼᶠ ᵞᴼᵁᵁᵁ ᴺᴼᵀ ᴳᴼᴺᴺᴬ ᴸᴵᴱᴱᴱᴱᴱ pic.twitter.com/4Wrlu0WiKM
The other is when he was on a live fan chat, and he had to ask his teen admirers what “yeet” meant. Thanks to that moment, the world has been blessed with this loop of Tom Holland saying “I don’t know what yeet means.” (For the record, it’s just an excited noise that can mean basically anything.)
here’s “what does yeet mean” on loop pic.twitter.com/nbn9yJEAsm— nina (@tosmpidey) May 14, 2018
And, of course, we also have the tiny Tom Holland text version of that line:
Tom Holland: "ʷʰᵃᵗ ᵈᵒᵉˢ ʸᵉᵉᵗ ᵐᵉᵃᶰ"— sam loves tom (@hotshotholland) May 14, 2018
Holland has tried to put on a lower voice, but it hasn’t done him any favors. It’s still just “precious” to the fans.
tom holland trying to say "thanos, are you watching?" in korean while deepening his voice is the funniest and most precious thing ever pic.twitter.com/YRV19uzu8R— bernice (@stanweirdo) April 12, 2018
“I don’t have deeper, bro. This is it,” he told the Korean hosts of a show he was on. Of course, that just became a Holland Voice meme, too.
interviewer: do a deeper scarier voice— sabrina (@flopkon) May 13, 2018
tom: ᶦ ᵈᵒⁿ’ᵗ ʰᵃᵛᵉ ᵈᵉᵉᵖᵉʳ ᵇʳᵒ ᵗʰᶦˢ ᶦˢ ᶦᵗ pic.twitter.com/xVMBCyHSZu
You can’t change it, Spidey. Might as well embrace it. All in all, this is an extremely sweet and wholesome meme from the Marvel fandom.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.