- AirPods are getting that sweet, sweet Black Friday price drop 2 Years Ago
- Looking for a Nintendo Switch? Black Friday deals are here 2 Years Ago
- Facebook copies Instagram with experimental ‘Popular Photos’ feature 2 Years Ago
- This iPhone app says it will alert you if you’ve been hacked Today 2:43 PM
- ‘Marvel’s Hero Project’ is the wholesome content 2019 needs Today 2:40 PM
- Get more out of VSCO with VSCO search Today 2:09 PM
- Twitter carves out ‘cause-based’ advocacy exemption in political ads ban Today 2:06 PM
- Disney+ accounts are being hacked—here’s how to protect yourself Today 1:52 PM
- Instagram is hiding likes globally and searching for a ‘well-being’ product researcher Today 1:42 PM
- ‘The Mandalorian’ opens up its mythology even further in ‘Chapter 2’ Today 12:54 PM
- Want to buy a drone on a budget? We’ve got you covered Today 12:51 PM
- ‘Simpsons’ writer accuses Republicans of stealing Sideshow Bob’s defense Today 12:49 PM
- Keanu Reeves’ appearance in ‘SpongeBob Movie’ trailer quickly becomes a meme Today 12:35 PM
- Charli XCX makes the band in Netflix’s ‘Nasty Cherry’ Today 12:33 PM
- Taylor Swift’s distress call reignites fight with Scooter Braun and former label Today 12:16 PM
Tom Holland, the 21-year-old British actor who plays Spider-Man, is beloved by fans for his good looks, his athleticism, and his ᶜᵘᵗᵉ ˡᶦᵗᵗˡᵉ ᵛᵒᶦᶜᵉ. On Twitter, it’s become a meme for Holland fans to post catchphrases from his Spider-Man promotional appearances in tiny superscript, signifying his slightly high-pitched peep.
i love how every marvel post gives tom holland the high voice tiny letters— thabes time (@bigairBONUS_) May 14, 2018
A couple of Holland Voice moments stand above the rest. One is when he was playing with Marvel action figures in a video for Entertainment Weekly:
“Best of friends, best of friends …” he quietly sang, while assembling various Avengers characters around his Spider-Man figure. Or, as Twitter rendered it: “ᵇᵉˢᵗ ᵒᶠ ᶠʳᶦᵉⁿᵈˢ, ᵇᵉˢᵗ ᵒᶠ ᶠʳᶦᵉⁿᵈˢ”
ᵇᵉˢᵗ ᵒᶠ ᶠʳᶦᵉⁿᵈˢ ᵇᵉˢᵗ ᵒᶠ ᶠʳᶦᵉⁿᵈˢ— シ (@unbuckied) May 13, 2018
ᶦᵐ ᵃ ˡᶦᵗᵗˡᵉ ˢᶜᵃʳᵉᵈ ᵃᵗ ʸᵒᵘ ⁿᵒᵗ ᵍᵒⁿⁿᵃ ˡᶦᵉ~ is the cutest thing ever istg pic.twitter.com/Buw8EsaBrQ
ᴮᴱˢᵀ ᴼᶠ ᶠᴿᴵᴱᴱᴱᴱᴺᴰˢ— ༄ was lNFlNlTYW4R ! (@Iokisluts) May 12, 2018
ᴮᴱˢᵀ ᴼᶠ ᶠᴿᴵᴱᴱᴱᴱᴱᴱᴺᴰˢ
ᴵᴹ ᴬ ᴸᴵᵀᵀᴸᴱ ˢᶜᴬᴿᴱᴰ ᴼᶠ ᵞᴼᵁᵁᵁ ᴺᴼᵀ ᴳᴼᴺᴺᴬ ᴸᴵᴱᴱᴱᴱᴱ pic.twitter.com/4Wrlu0WiKM
The other is when he was on a live fan chat, and he had to ask his teen admirers what “yeet” meant. Thanks to that moment, the world has been blessed with this loop of Tom Holland saying “I don’t know what yeet means.” (For the record, it’s just an excited noise that can mean basically anything.)
here’s “what does yeet mean” on loop pic.twitter.com/nbn9yJEAsm— nina (@tosmpidey) May 14, 2018
And, of course, we also have the tiny Tom Holland text version of that line:
Tom Holland: "ʷʰᵃᵗ ᵈᵒᵉˢ ʸᵉᵉᵗ ᵐᵉᵃᶰ"— sam loves tom (@hotshotholland) May 14, 2018
Holland has tried to put on a lower voice, but it hasn’t done him any favors. It’s still just “precious” to the fans.
tom holland trying to say "thanos, are you watching?" in korean while deepening his voice is the funniest and most precious thing ever pic.twitter.com/YRV19uzu8R— bernice (@stanweirdo) April 12, 2018
“I don’t have deeper, bro. This is it,” he told the Korean hosts of a show he was on. Of course, that just became a Holland Voice meme, too.
interviewer: do a deeper scarier voice— sabrina (@flopkon) May 13, 2018
tom: ᶦ ᵈᵒⁿ’ᵗ ʰᵃᵛᵉ ᵈᵉᵉᵖᵉʳ ᵇʳᵒ ᵗʰᶦˢ ᶦˢ ᶦᵗ pic.twitter.com/xVMBCyHSZu
You can’t change it, Spidey. Might as well embrace it. All in all, this is an extremely sweet and wholesome meme from the Marvel fandom.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.