- Guy who said he stole drugs from MS-13 now says viral story is fake 1 Year Ago
- Financial service company left 885 million private records exposed online Today 3:13 PM
- Sasha Obama went to prom and Twitter is delighted with the photos Today 2:22 PM
- Jon Voight says Trump is the greatest president since Lincoln in Twitter videos Today 1:31 PM
- #DeleteFacebook gains momentum after the platform refused to remove doctored Nancy Pelosi videos Today 11:58 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ failed women—and it’s a shame on its legacy Today 7:40 AM
- How to use Tor, the network that lets you browse the web anonymously Today 7:30 AM
- How to live stream Devin Haney vs. Antonio Moran on DAZN Today 7:00 AM
- Trump’s transphobic policies are disgusting—but they aren’t new Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Copa del Rey Final online for free Today 5:45 AM
- How to watch the DFB-Pokal final for free Today 5:30 AM
- Curvy Wife Guy drops music video for rap song ‘Chubby Sexy’ Friday 7:33 PM
- A ‘Black Mirror’-inspired miniseries is coming to YouTube via Netflix Latin America Friday 5:56 PM
- Kanye West appears on David Letterman’s Netflix show to talk Trump, TMZ, and Drake Friday 3:27 PM
- QAnon believers link small-town arrest to deep state conspiracy without evidence Friday 1:58 PM
Spider-Man’s tiny voice is a meme now.
Tom Holland, the 21-year-old British actor who plays Spider-Man, is beloved by fans for his good looks, his athleticism, and his ᶜᵘᵗᵉ ˡᶦᵗᵗˡᵉ ᵛᵒᶦᶜᵉ. On Twitter, it’s become a meme for Holland fans to post catchphrases from his Spider-Man promotional appearances in tiny superscript, signifying his slightly high-pitched peep.
i love how every marvel post gives tom holland the high voice tiny letters
— thabes time (@bigairBONUS_) May 14, 2018
A couple of Holland Voice moments stand above the rest. One is when he was playing with Marvel action figures in a video for Entertainment Weekly:
“Best of friends, best of friends …” he quietly sang, while assembling various Avengers characters around his Spider-Man figure. Or, as Twitter rendered it: “ᵇᵉˢᵗ ᵒᶠ ᶠʳᶦᵉⁿᵈˢ, ᵇᵉˢᵗ ᵒᶠ ᶠʳᶦᵉⁿᵈˢ”
ᵇᵉˢᵗ ᵒᶠ ᶠʳᶦᵉⁿᵈˢ ᵇᵉˢᵗ ᵒᶠ ᶠʳᶦᵉⁿᵈˢ
ᶦᵐ ᵃ ˡᶦᵗᵗˡᵉ ˢᶜᵃʳᵉᵈ ᵃᵗ ʸᵒᵘ ⁿᵒᵗ ᵍᵒⁿⁿᵃ ˡᶦᵉ~ is the cutest thing ever istg pic.twitter.com/Buw8EsaBrQ
— シ (@unbuckied) May 13, 2018
ᴮᴱˢᵀ ᴼᶠ ᶠᴿᴵᴱᴱᴱᴱᴺᴰˢ
ᴮᴱˢᵀ ᴼᶠ ᶠᴿᴵᴱᴱᴱᴱᴱᴱᴺᴰˢ
ᴵᴹ ᴬ ᴸᴵᵀᵀᴸᴱ ˢᶜᴬᴿᴱᴰ ᴼᶠ ᵞᴼᵁᵁᵁ ᴺᴼᵀ ᴳᴼᴺᴺᴬ ᴸᴵᴱᴱᴱᴱᴱ pic.twitter.com/4Wrlu0WiKM
— ༄ was lNFlNlTYW4R ! (@Iokisluts) May 12, 2018
The other is when he was on a live fan chat, and he had to ask his teen admirers what “yeet” meant. Thanks to that moment, the world has been blessed with this loop of Tom Holland saying “I don’t know what yeet means.” (For the record, it’s just an excited noise that can mean basically anything.)
here’s “what does yeet mean” on loop pic.twitter.com/nbn9yJEAsm
— nina (@tosmpidey) May 14, 2018
And, of course, we also have the tiny Tom Holland text version of that line:
Tom Holland: "ʷʰᵃᵗ ᵈᵒᵉˢ ʸᵉᵉᵗ ᵐᵉᵃᶰ"
— sam loves tom (@hotshotholland) May 14, 2018
Holland has tried to put on a lower voice, but it hasn’t done him any favors. It’s still just “precious” to the fans.
tom holland trying to say "thanos, are you watching?" in korean while deepening his voice is the funniest and most precious thing ever pic.twitter.com/YRV19uzu8R
— bernice (@stanweirdo) April 12, 2018
“I don’t have deeper, bro. This is it,” he told the Korean hosts of a show he was on. Of course, that just became a Holland Voice meme, too.
interviewer: do a deeper scarier voice
tom: ᶦ ᵈᵒⁿ’ᵗ ʰᵃᵛᵉ ᵈᵉᵉᵖᵉʳ ᵇʳᵒ ᵗʰᶦˢ ᶦˢ ᶦᵗ pic.twitter.com/xVMBCyHSZu
— sabrina (@flopkon) May 13, 2018
You can’t change it, Spidey. Might as well embrace it. All in all, this is an extremely sweet and wholesome meme from the Marvel fandom.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.