- These high school theater kids put on a totally awesome ‘Alien’ play Today 3:59 PM
- Behold these photos of Elon Musk, but with Elizabeth Holmes’ eyes Today 3:11 PM
- Barbra Streisand gets canceled over remarks about Michael Jackson’s alleged victims Today 2:09 PM
- Report: Florida man raped Texas teen after posing as Instagram celeb Today 12:14 PM
- Lori Loughlin’s daughters, Olivia and Isabella, could be banned from USC forever Today 11:46 AM
- ‘Starfish’ is a heartbreaking tale of BFFs, grief, and apocalyptic alien invasions Today 10:35 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 148 for free Today 10:00 AM
- The kids are making scantron memes instead of studying Today 9:29 AM
- Every installment of Hulu’s ‘Into the Dark,’ ranked Today 6:00 AM
- The internet is mocking Robert Mueller’s report deadline Friday 7:53 PM
- Instagram blocks some anti-vax hashtags—but still has far to go Friday 6:20 PM
- Study: Netflix released more originals than licensed titles last year Friday 2:26 PM
- Laura Ingraham, Dinesh D’Souza slam journalist for having a job Friday 1:40 PM
- Netflix is testing a cheap-as-hell mobile-only plan Friday 1:08 PM
- Astrology app Co-Star’s bizarre push notifications are now a meme Friday 12:18 PM
Spider-Man’s tiny voice is a meme now.
Tom Holland, the 21-year-old British actor who plays Spider-Man, is beloved by fans for his good looks, his athleticism, and his ᶜᵘᵗᵉ ˡᶦᵗᵗˡᵉ ᵛᵒᶦᶜᵉ. On Twitter, it’s become a meme for Holland fans to post catchphrases from his Spider-Man promotional appearances in tiny superscript, signifying his slightly high-pitched peep.
i love how every marvel post gives tom holland the high voice tiny letters
— thabes time (@bigairBONUS_) May 14, 2018
A couple of Holland Voice moments stand above the rest. One is when he was playing with Marvel action figures in a video for Entertainment Weekly:
“Best of friends, best of friends …” he quietly sang, while assembling various Avengers characters around his Spider-Man figure. Or, as Twitter rendered it: “ᵇᵉˢᵗ ᵒᶠ ᶠʳᶦᵉⁿᵈˢ, ᵇᵉˢᵗ ᵒᶠ ᶠʳᶦᵉⁿᵈˢ”
ᵇᵉˢᵗ ᵒᶠ ᶠʳᶦᵉⁿᵈˢ ᵇᵉˢᵗ ᵒᶠ ᶠʳᶦᵉⁿᵈˢ
ᶦᵐ ᵃ ˡᶦᵗᵗˡᵉ ˢᶜᵃʳᵉᵈ ᵃᵗ ʸᵒᵘ ⁿᵒᵗ ᵍᵒⁿⁿᵃ ˡᶦᵉ~ is the cutest thing ever istg pic.twitter.com/Buw8EsaBrQ
— シ (@unbuckied) May 13, 2018
ᴮᴱˢᵀ ᴼᶠ ᶠᴿᴵᴱᴱᴱᴱᴺᴰˢ
ᴮᴱˢᵀ ᴼᶠ ᶠᴿᴵᴱᴱᴱᴱᴱᴱᴺᴰˢ
ᴵᴹ ᴬ ᴸᴵᵀᵀᴸᴱ ˢᶜᴬᴿᴱᴰ ᴼᶠ ᵞᴼᵁᵁᵁ ᴺᴼᵀ ᴳᴼᴺᴺᴬ ᴸᴵᴱᴱᴱᴱᴱ pic.twitter.com/4Wrlu0WiKM
— ༄ was lNFlNlTYW4R ! (@Iokisluts) May 12, 2018
The other is when he was on a live fan chat, and he had to ask his teen admirers what “yeet” meant. Thanks to that moment, the world has been blessed with this loop of Tom Holland saying “I don’t know what yeet means.” (For the record, it’s just an excited noise that can mean basically anything.)
here’s “what does yeet mean” on loop pic.twitter.com/nbn9yJEAsm
— nina (@tosmpidey) May 14, 2018
And, of course, we also have the tiny Tom Holland text version of that line:
Tom Holland: "ʷʰᵃᵗ ᵈᵒᵉˢ ʸᵉᵉᵗ ᵐᵉᵃᶰ"
— sam loves tom (@hotshotholland) May 14, 2018
Holland has tried to put on a lower voice, but it hasn’t done him any favors. It’s still just “precious” to the fans.
tom holland trying to say "thanos, are you watching?" in korean while deepening his voice is the funniest and most precious thing ever pic.twitter.com/YRV19uzu8R
— bernice (@stanweirdo) April 12, 2018
“I don’t have deeper, bro. This is it,” he told the Korean hosts of a show he was on. Of course, that just became a Holland Voice meme, too.
interviewer: do a deeper scarier voice
tom: ᶦ ᵈᵒⁿ’ᵗ ʰᵃᵛᵉ ᵈᵉᵉᵖᵉʳ ᵇʳᵒ ᵗʰᶦˢ ᶦˢ ᶦᵗ pic.twitter.com/xVMBCyHSZu
— sabrina (@flopkon) May 13, 2018
You can’t change it, Spidey. Might as well embrace it. All in all, this is an extremely sweet and wholesome meme from the Marvel fandom.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.