- This Twitter account is parodying Amazon customer service Thursday 8:52 PM
- How to live stream Oleksandr Gvozdyk vs. Artur Beterbiev Thursday 7:00 PM
- Shaggy says an online scammer is impersonating him Thursday 6:53 PM
- IRL Barbie Malibu Dreamhouse available to rent on Airbnb Thursday 6:16 PM
- Men’s Humor trolled for unknowingly tweeting Grindr conversation Thursday 5:29 PM
- How to stream Dominick Reyes vs. Chris Weidman Thursday 5:00 PM
- Jennifer Aniston had a finsta before officially joining Instagram Thursday 4:35 PM
- Facebook denies moderating comments under Zuckerberg’s big free speech live stream Thursday 2:38 PM
- ‘My headphones’ meme proves our music is sadder than we look Thursday 1:53 PM
- ‘Time for an upgrade’ meme shows Kamala Harris’ team is too online Thursday 1:35 PM
- Prison guards reportedly mocked trans inmates in private Facebook groups Thursday 1:33 PM
- Gradient is the new celebrity look-alike app winning over influencers Thursday 12:46 PM
- Trolls accuse cosplayer of ‘appropriating’ Joker culture (updated) Thursday 12:28 PM
- Every Studio Ghibli movie will stream exclusively on HBO Max Thursday 12:24 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ season 3 saw its highest viewer numbers yet Thursday 12:01 PM
January 2018 is nearly over, and for most people on the internet, it can’t happen soon enough. The month was 31 days long, just like it always is, but a lot of people thought that it felt much longer.
Just look at these tweets from the past week:
how is it still january— tyler oakley (@tyleroakley) January 30, 2018
HOW IS IT STILL JANUARY— Evan Edinger (@EvanEdinger) January 31, 2018
We six months into 2018 and it’s still January.— . (@sighbrattt) January 30, 2018
Still January, still not pay day pic.twitter.com/HyddkWbMCP— D (@Dom_Founded) January 29, 2018
One man was even worried he was trapped in some sort of alternate reality.
It’s been 3 months and it’s still January— Plathanos 🐝🇩🇴 #HIVESZN (@SavinTheBees) January 30, 2018
It’s been 10 mins since I tweeted this and it’s still January wtf kind of black mirror shit is going on— Plathanos 🐝🇩🇴 #HIVESZN (@SavinTheBees) January 30, 2018
UPDATE: Tomorrow is still January too what the fuck...— Plathanos 🐝🇩🇴 #HIVESZN (@SavinTheBees) January 30, 2018
Other people were just as incredulous that someone would question the concept of linear time.
Bc the month of January has 31 days and today was only the 29th so therefore it is still January. Jeez Tyler i thought you were smarter.....— Ricky Dillon (@RickyPDillon) January 30, 2018
do you have any idea how many tweets like that ive seen on my tl the past few days ima just mute the word january— annika (@mattelsoakley) January 30, 2018
Maybe the month felt long because we had five Mondays.
To be fair, January is also typically the coldest month of the year, and this one has been particularly frigid, so people are probably just feeling slightly stir crazy at this point.
Also, there’s a little something phycologists call “perceived duration,” in which the amount of time between events can vary wildly for any two individuals. In general, boring or painful moments seem to last longer than exciting or joyful ones.
Then again, maybe the month of January just has the ability to warp spacetime.
In any case, people are ready for February—which has only 28 days this year.
It’s finally February tomorrow. January has been going on for like 5 years.— 4️⃣8️⃣ days till SH S3 (@OUaTPreachers) January 31, 2018
Tomorrow is finally February 1st.. it feels like tomorrow should be 2019 the way January was...— cash app me - its my birthday $imsuperdope (@ImSuperDope_) January 31, 2018
Woah, we finally entered February after 3 months of January.— Shathahaha. (@whatthemeows) January 31, 2018
Oh my god, it's finally February tomorrow, after 174 days of January— ❤ (@minhosfist) January 31, 2018
The wait is over. Tomorrow is finally February— ㅤMark (@milkyframez) January 31, 2018
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.