The Staten Island Yankees, a minor league affiliate of the New York Yankees, is set to change their name, and they’ve reached out to fans for suggestions. New Yorkers were excited as ever to help out.
The team received over 2,000 suggestions and have now narrowed it down to a final five, three of which are so goddamn fantastic that it’s going to be hard to choose (you can decide for yourself which three).
Here are the options, with explanations provided by the team’s website:
- Staten Island Bridge Trolls – Bridge Trolls commemorates the iconic bridges that connect Staten Island, while embracing the kind of wacky names Minor League Baseball is known for.
- Staten Island Heroes – The Heroes honors the civil servants and military personnel of Staten Island and New York who work tirelessly to uphold our American values.
- Staten Island Killer Bees – Killer Bees pays tribute to Staten Island’s musical and cultural impact. Fans will be “buzzing” over our bee-themed promotions!
- Staten Island Pizza Rats – Like Staten Islanders and New Yorkers, these natives are tenacious, enterprising and know where to find the best food in the city.
- Staten Island Rock Pigeons – Another animal synonymous with the city, the Rock Pigeons celebrates Staten Island – known by locals as “The Rock.”
Right now Pizza Rats seem to be the club favorite.
— Radley Haddad (@RadleyHaddad) September 8, 2016
Dear sweet god, please let that be the actual uniform.
Not to sound like a cynic, but this might very well be your only chance to name a baseball team after a Wu-Tang Clan song.
H/T CBS Sports