- People are demanding the man who filmed the killing of Eric Garner be freed with #FreeRamsey Monday 7:36 PM
- Billie Eilish’s ‘Bad Guy’ unseats ‘Old Town Road’ from the No. 1 spot Monday 6:11 PM
- People think Ghislaine Maxwell was Photoshopped in those In-N-Out photos Monday 5:41 PM
- People are transfixed by a TikTok cat dancing along to ‘Mr. Sandman’ Monday 4:52 PM
- Nazi troll pretending to be antifa in Portland gets outed by internet Monday 4:15 PM
- ‘Dear White People’ season 3 reflects the exhaustion of the times—for better or for worse Monday 3:59 PM
- ‘Seinfeld’ and ‘Friends’ fans feud over which sitcom is better Monday 3:57 PM
- Anti-abortion centers are getting around Google’s misinformation policy Monday 3:45 PM
- Twitter, Facebook remove Chinese accounts spreading Hong Kong misinformation Monday 3:41 PM
- ‘Mindhunter’ season 2 offers no happy endings Monday 3:19 PM
- How to watch ‘The Righteous Gemstones’ online Monday 3:03 PM
- ‘Mindhunter’ season 2 brings out the memes Monday 2:59 PM
- Rumor suggests the X-Men might battle the Avengers on-screen Monday 2:54 PM
- The CDC is investigating cases of severe lung damage linked to vaping Monday 2:08 PM
- How to stream the 49ers vs. Broncos on (preseason) Monday Night Football Monday 1:24 PM
Tumblr’s new Hallowmeme is ‘too spoopy to live, too creppy to die’
And ghosts go “Doo!”
This Halloween season, everything on Tumblr is spoopy. Yes, spoopy.
The meme started when people started noticing low-budget Halloween decorations in their local stores, featuring Cake Wrecks–style spelling mistakes on the packaging. Skeletons were “spoopy,” not spooky. Spiders were “creppy,” not creepy. And ghosts, apparently, go “DOO.”
Just to give you an idea of how widespread this meme has become, this text post by Tumblr user coriander has collected more than 40,000 notes:
“too spoopy to live, too creppy to die”
Words to live by.
Obviously, someone has already made good use of the username spoopy.tumblr.com.
Halloween has always been Tumblr’s favorite holiday. It’s not unusual for people to change their usernames to horror-themed puns—a la The Simpsons—for the entire month of October, while skeleton GIFs and art are seen all year round. The ever-popular 2spooky skeleton meme has even had a spoopy 2013 makeover, including a rave remix of Andrew Gold’s “Spooky, Scary Skeletons” song.
Spooptacular. People are even making spoopy cakes and T-shirts. Honestly, we’re not sure which is the spoopiest Halloween costume so far. This:
Photo via Keep.com
… or 2spoopy Doge:
Photo via ccsnail.tumblr.com/Tumblr
Photos via throwherinthewater/Tumblr
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor