- Man arrested after allegedly threatening to shoot YouTube employees 6 Years Ago
- Exclusive: House Democrats net neutrality strategy shifts month after passing major bill 6 Years Ago
- Thousands sign petition calling for Danny DeVito to play Wolverine Today 1:02 PM
- Jason Mitchell fired from ‘Desperados’ and ‘The Chi’ after misconduct allegations Today 12:36 PM
- Police raid Black woman’s house after white neighbor complains about loud Malcolm X speeches Today 12:20 PM
- ‘Transfixed’ says it’s a ‘breakthrough’ series, but it still fetishizes trans bodies Today 11:04 AM
- Senator proposes Do Not Track bill to allow consumers to opt out of data gathering Today 10:54 AM
- The Queen of the North likes to Juul Today 10:36 AM
- Nearly half of Juul’s Twitter followers can’t legally buy the product, study says Today 10:26 AM
- New Facebook Messenger scam tricks people into thinking they donated to ISIS Today 10:26 AM
- Film meme mocks ‘brilliant’ Daenerys shot in ‘Game of Thrones’ finale Today 10:13 AM
- YouTube love triangle: ProJared’s mistress Commander Holly makes startling accusations Today 10:05 AM
- Middle schoolers investigated for allegedly serving semen crepes to teachers Today 10:04 AM
- Memelord from Reddit’s r/The_Donald joins Trump onstage at rally Today 9:23 AM
- Read the wild list of demands Trump’s possible new immigration czar had Today 8:48 AM
Tumblr’s new Hallowmeme is ‘too spoopy to live, too creppy to die’
And ghosts go “Doo!”
This Halloween season, everything on Tumblr is spoopy. Yes, spoopy.
The meme started when people started noticing low-budget Halloween decorations in their local stores, featuring Cake Wrecks–style spelling mistakes on the packaging. Skeletons were “spoopy,” not spooky. Spiders were “creppy,” not creepy. And ghosts, apparently, go “DOO.”
Just to give you an idea of how widespread this meme has become, this text post by Tumblr user coriander has collected more than 40,000 notes:
“too spoopy to live, too creppy to die”
Words to live by.
Obviously, someone has already made good use of the username spoopy.tumblr.com.
Halloween has always been Tumblr’s favorite holiday. It’s not unusual for people to change their usernames to horror-themed puns—a la The Simpsons—for the entire month of October, while skeleton GIFs and art are seen all year round. The ever-popular 2spooky skeleton meme has even had a spoopy 2013 makeover, including a rave remix of Andrew Gold’s “Spooky, Scary Skeletons” song.
Spooptacular. People are even making spoopy cakes and T-shirts. Honestly, we’re not sure which is the spoopiest Halloween costume so far. This:
Photo via Keep.com
… or 2spoopy Doge:
Photo via ccsnail.tumblr.com/Tumblr
Photos via throwherinthewater/Tumblr
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor