- ‘Penis fish’ memes erupt after worms wash up on California coast Friday 5:58 PM
- Why Britons are tweeting ‘Little England’ in wake of the U.K. election Friday 3:22 PM
- Net neutrality advocates ask for rehearing on federal court decision Friday 2:29 PM
- Americans are sharing their #PrivateHealthLIFEhacks to help Brits Friday 2:28 PM
- Warren, Sanders, Yang pledge to skip next week’s debate over union dispute Friday 2:12 PM
- How to watch tonight’s Nets vs. Raptors matchup on NBA TV Friday 2:00 PM
- Alt-right comedian Owen Benjamin banned from Instagram over anti-Semitic memes Friday 1:55 PM
- TikTok teens are procrastinating with #FinalsWeek Friday 1:46 PM
- ‘The Mandalorian’ takes on a prison break in episode 6 Friday 1:30 PM
- Nick Cannon vs. Eminem battle expected to escalate after ‘off-limits’ daughter diss Friday 12:50 PM
- Laura Loomer vehemently denies being author of new Laura Loomer-themed action novel Friday 12:30 PM
- PewDiePie’s poop-inspired game gets banned by Apple Friday 11:29 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ showrunners to adapt ‘Lovecraft’ graphic novel to screen Friday 11:00 AM
- The 50 memes that defined the decade Friday 10:45 AM
- Venmo users are getting harassed with fraudulent payment requests Friday 10:38 AM
Wisconsin fan dressed as a Teletubby perfectly captures these trying times
How one Wisconsin fan came to personify America’s mood.
The Duke Bluedevils won Coach Mike Krzyzewski his fifth NCAA men’s basketball title Monday night with a breakneck finish against the Wisconsin Badgers. It’s no secret that Americans were rooting for the Badgers—Duke is a dominant power tethered to an elite private school that is good at lacrosse.
This is the worst thing that’s ever happened to anyone in America.
— Kevin Collier (@kevincollier) April 7, 2015
Nevermind that Coach K is an innovative genius that’s evolved with the times and won a gold medal in his spare time. It’s OK to revere Coach K and simultaneously detest Duke. The program spawned that golf polo monster Christian Laettner, after all, and on Monday rode that pimply faced Ted Cruz lookalike Grayson Allen and his 16 big points—including a run where he scored eight straight for the Blue Devils—to the ‘ship.
Americans love to turn to poignant symbolism during trying times. Luckily, we didn’t have to look very far Monday night.
The Wisconsin fan, dressed as the red Teletubby, Po, is now Internet folklore. A status symbol applicable to any situation, and a barometer for how we all feel right now.
Photo via Kristen Ledlow/Twitter
Ramon Ramirez is the news director, and formerly the Dot's entertainment editor and evening editor. His work has appeared in the Washington Post, Grantland, Washington City Paper, Austin American-Statesman, and Austin Monitor.