- Trump accuses Jewish Democrats of having ‘great disloyalty’ or a ‘lack of knowledge’ Tuesday 8:02 PM
- 1 million ‘anonymous’ users of popular porn site exposed in breach Tuesday 6:56 PM
- Khloé Kardashian angers followers with a calorie-counting joke about True Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Spider-Man may no longer be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe Tuesday 5:28 PM
- Robert De Niro’s company is suing ex-employee for binge-watching Netflix at work Tuesday 4:41 PM
- Intentionally misgendering a character could get you banned from Borderlands 3 Tuesday 4:06 PM
- Facebook pulls Trump re-election ad for targeting ‘strong women’ Tuesday 4:03 PM
- Kamala Harris says she will restore net neutrality if elected Tuesday 3:16 PM
- All 8 of the ‘Rocky’ movies, ranked Tuesday 2:50 PM
- Everything you need to know about the Facebook conservative bias report Tuesday 2:35 PM
- Study links emoji use to more sex Tuesday 2:10 PM
- The chicken sandwich war is in full throttle on Twitter Tuesday 1:47 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Sextuplets’ proves Marlon Wayans is no Eddie Murphy—or even Mike Myers Tuesday 1:31 PM
- Facebook is finally rolling out its clear history tool Tuesday 1:13 PM
- ‘Theater etiquette’ tweets surge after YouTuber cast in ‘Waitress’ Tuesday 12:55 PM
Wisconsin fan dressed as a Teletubby perfectly captures these trying times
How one Wisconsin fan came to personify America’s mood.
The Duke Bluedevils won Coach Mike Krzyzewski his fifth NCAA men’s basketball title Monday night with a breakneck finish against the Wisconsin Badgers. It’s no secret that Americans were rooting for the Badgers—Duke is a dominant power tethered to an elite private school that is good at lacrosse.
This is the worst thing that’s ever happened to anyone in America.
— Kevin Collier (@kevincollier) April 7, 2015
Nevermind that Coach K is an innovative genius that’s evolved with the times and won a gold medal in his spare time. It’s OK to revere Coach K and simultaneously detest Duke. The program spawned that golf polo monster Christian Laettner, after all, and on Monday rode that pimply faced Ted Cruz lookalike Grayson Allen and his 16 big points—including a run where he scored eight straight for the Blue Devils—to the ‘ship.
Americans love to turn to poignant symbolism during trying times. Luckily, we didn’t have to look very far Monday night.
The Wisconsin fan, dressed as the red Teletubby, Po, is now Internet folklore. A status symbol applicable to any situation, and a barometer for how we all feel right now.
Photo via Kristen Ledlow/Twitter
Ramon Ramirez is the news director, and formerly the Dot's entertainment editor and evening editor. His work has appeared in the Washington Post, Grantland, Washington City Paper, Austin American-Statesman, and Austin Monitor.