- 2020 Democrats refuse to answer our questions about ‘Cats’ Friday 4:14 PM
- Belle Delphine’s Instagram account removed after mass reporting campaign Friday 4:08 PM
- Mariah Carey refuses old-age FaceApp challenge Friday 3:19 PM
- Journalists horrified by consolidation of Gatehouse, Gannett Friday 3:12 PM
- Facebook and Google could be tracking you on porn sites Friday 1:42 PM
- 7 best sites for psychic love readings Friday 1:20 PM
- Driver demonstrates why you always need to read road signs Friday 12:58 PM
- Area 51 remix video proves it’s the summer of Lil Nas X Friday 12:26 PM
- ‘ICE will come’: Convenience store clerk threatens customers speaking Spanish Friday 12:11 PM
- Rand Paul dodges questions about 9/11 Victims Fund, says ‘watch Fox News’ Friday 11:51 AM
- Report: ‘Stranger Things’ season 4 to begin shooting in October Friday 11:03 AM
- AT&T paid Michael Cohen to consult on net neutrality, FBI documents show Friday 9:10 AM
- Mysterio’s ruse changes on a second viewing of ‘Far From Home’ Friday 9:06 AM
- Twitter overturns Barrett Brown’s third permanent suspension Friday 8:49 AM
- How to live stream Liga MX Friday 7:56 AM
Here are all the stupid things Eagles fans did in Philly after the Super Bowl
The city made it through the chaos last night, but just barely.
As everyone predicted, Philadelphia Eagles fans went nuts after their team won the Super Bowl 41-33 over the New England Patriots last night. The anarchy ranged from fun shenanigans to dangerous behavior—including looting and assault. Here are some of the highlights, and lowlights, of what went down in the City of Brotherly Love last night.
After they did backflips and stage dives from it, a group of people eventually collapsed the awning of the Ritz-Carlton.
OMG I JUST WATCHED A MAN DIE pic.twitter.com/oZHBmDajJa— max (@MaxOnTwitter) February 5, 2018
Obviously, people were chanting “Fuck Tom Brady.”
*italian chef kiss* pic.twitter.com/GXR54zE9vb— max (@MaxOnTwitter) February 5, 2018
Despite police greasing up downtown light poles, people still managed to climb them… and set off fireworks.
[hears the poles are greased with Crisco] “IM CLIMBIN IT”— Adam Weinstein (@AdamWeinstein) February 5, 2018
[hears the police have switched to hydraulic fluid] “I’M CLIMBIN IT AND SETTIN OFF A ****IN ROMAN CANDLE” pic.twitter.com/bwKFDdVy1n
People also climbed the gates of City Hall, which the police did not grease prior to the Super Bowl.
Fires were burning all over the place.
PHILLY IS LITERALLY LIT! 👀 pic.twitter.com/uxiADLMmpa— SB Nation (@SBNation) February 5, 2018
Seen this on snap, lmao they burning it down pic.twitter.com/rtelJNsZu7— Kristaps (@bper32) February 5, 2018
At least one car was flipped.
Some fans trashed a gas station, and there were reports of looting.
People yelling “Everything is free,” looting, trashing this gas station. Damn it, Philly we better than this. pic.twitter.com/WecXaAmrFh— Stephanie Farr (@FarFarrAway) February 5, 2018
Someone even claimed a police horse was stolen.
So far in Philly tonight: a police horse has been stolen (one recovered), an off-duty cop has been arrested, Looting at Macy’s, countless people on light poles, Ritz Carlton awning has collapsed, and the rocky statue will likely fall by the morning. #phillypolicescanner— Armando Osuna (@AO619) February 5, 2018
April Glaser, a reporter for Slate, monitored the city’s police scanner and the things she heard ranged from bizarre to terrifying:
11:44pm: “A man jumped off the light pole and landed on his head.”
11:45pm: “We have a light pole down. On the east side of Macy’s corner. We have live wires.”
12:24am: “I got somebody jumping on top of the fire truck now.”
12:11am: “On Juniper and Market traffic lights are down. All signs are down.”
11:35pm: “Do you have medics over here coming to 17th and Lombard? We have a female here who was assaulted.”
10:50pm: “I got people coming up the ramps on 676 eastbound. I don’t have a clue how they’re getting up…. Should I go up to get those people off 676?”
10:46pm: “It’s endless, chief. Endless.”
But not everything was horrible. A man tossed out some money, and people managed to not fight over it.
MAKE IT RAIN pic.twitter.com/tOwwxV6zg6— max (@MaxOnTwitter) February 5, 2018
Some dude, in the middle of all the chaos, decided it was the right time to propose marriage.
One police officer even seemed to be enjoying himself.
Despite all the madness, the city of Philadelphia was still standing when the sun rose on Monday. Which is great, because Philly still has a parade to put on.
Still going strong in the EOC. But, if everyone could go home that would be great. We have to get some rest to start planning a parade in the morning. pic.twitter.com/tueubQ4yHF— Brian Geer (@PPDBrianGeer) February 5, 2018
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.