- Social media influencer known for hiking in bikinis dead at 36 1 Month Ago
- Trump posts altered pics on social media to make fingers look longer, report Today 3:20 PM
- Twitch user banned after telling woman to ‘kill yourself’ during stream Today 3:06 PM
- Facebook introduces ‘Community Actions’ tool to petition the government Today 2:04 PM
- Sarah Sanders, NRA deliver truly misguided MLK tributes today Today 12:58 PM
- MAGA teen who confronted Native elder says he ‘respects all races’ Today 12:57 PM
- Popular YouTube channel in danger of disappearing because of copyright claims Today 12:24 PM
- The Krassensteins’ Reddit AMA gets trolled off the internet Today 12:08 PM
- No, Trump didn’t break open the Pizzagate scandal in 2011 Today 11:23 AM
- Producer of anti-abortion film says Facebook refuses to run his ads Today 10:58 AM
- Ja Rule thinks he was also a victim of Fyre Fest Today 10:21 AM
- YouTube beef between RiceGum and H3H3 gets ugly—and personal Today 10:02 AM
- ‘Fox & Friends’ accidentally airs obituary graphic for Ruth Bader Ginsburg Today 9:40 AM
- Ocasio-Cortez helps Donkey Kong Twitch streamer raise money for trans rights Today 8:09 AM
- ‘Soni’ is a smart crime drama with poignant observations on inequality Today 7:00 AM
Oprah says what was really on her mind while she ate bland chicken
A viral video shows her chicken confusion.
Oprah Winfrey responded to a viral tweet Thursday to explain what was going through her head as she ate unseasoned chicken on her show.
It started last weekend when BuzzFeed News writer Spencer Althouse dug up a clip from the archives of The Oprah Winfrey Show and shared it on Twitter. In the clip, Oprah is tasting a chicken recipe that won $1 million—and she seems utterly unimpressed.
“I often think about the time Oprah did a cooking segment with a woman whose chicken recipe won $1 million, and Oprah’s jaw dropped when she tasted it and realized the lady didn’t even add seasoning,” Althouse wrote.
I often think about the time Oprah did a cooking segment with a woman whose chicken recipe won $1 million, and Oprah's jaw dropped when she tasted it and realized the lady didn't even add seasoning pic.twitter.com/rfs7PS1Jc3
— Spencer Althouse (@SpencerAlthouse) December 9, 2018
The tweet quickly spread around Twitter. People were impressed with Oprah’s classy approach to gently telling the woman the chicken needed some flavor.
“I love Oprah for embodying class and not wanting to embarrass this lady, she was trying to help her. ‘Sis, if you just you know put some seasoning on this, it could be amazing,'” one person said. “I do this all the time in everyday life so I can appreciate how hard it is to keep it classy.”
I love @oprah for embodying class and not wanting to embarrass this lady, she was trying to help her. "Sis, if you just you know put some seasoning on this, it could be amazing …" I do this all the time in everyday life so I can appreciate how hard it is to keep it classy. https://t.co/b2AUCD1NAq
— EricaMichele (@curvyinthecity) December 13, 2018
Others were astounded that an unseasoned chicken could win $1 million in the first place.
“Can someone please explain to me how chicken with nothing on it is a recipe let alone a million dollar one???” someone asked.
Can someone please explain to me how chicken with nothing on it is a recipe let alone a million dollar one??? https://t.co/4k6ygFZEmd
— The Good Gay (@The_Good_Gay) December 13, 2018
So, what was Oprah thinking while she attempted to choke down the flavorless chicken? She took to Instagram to explain. She started by saying she has no idea what made Althouse pull the clip from the vault, but it made her laugh. She also said she wanted every person on her show to have a good experience while also remaining true to herself. While she was eating the chicken, she said she was trying to decide her real moment of truth.
“Because the truth for me was that I’m used to having salt and pepper on my chicken. That’s just the truth,” she said. “That’s what I was thinking. This chicken needs some salt and pepper.”
View this post on Instagram
Over the weekend, a 2006 video of @oprah tasting an *interesting* chicken dish made its rounds online. We asked the O of O, what REALLY went through her mind as the cameras were on her—and she answered. Swipe left if you haven’t seen the hysterical video! #tbt
A post shared by O, The Oprah Magazine (@oprahmagazine) on
The real lesson here is that you should absolutely season your chicken—especially if you’re serving it to Oprah.
- The best memes of 2018 (so far)
- The rise and fall of ‘Bye Felicia,’ this generation’s coldest reply
- A guide to the best SpongeBob memes—so far
H/T BuzzFeed News
Gabrielle Sorto is an Atlanta-based freelance writer covering culture, lifestyle, and news. Her work has appeared in CNN, Teen Vogue, INSIDER, and Vice. She can usually be found writing with an overpriced coffee in hand or hanging out with her dog, Rihanna, who is named after exactly who you think.