- Cara Delevingne calls out Justin Bieber for ‘ranking’ wife Hailey’s friends Friday 9:07 PM
- Fans defend Jenna Marbles after some people claimed she mistreated her dogs in a recent video Friday 8:37 PM
- ‘Friends’ gets reunion special on HBO Max, fans go wild Friday 7:37 PM
- Why you should drop everything and start reading ‘Lore Olympus’ Friday 6:27 PM
- ‘Boogaloo’ memes are trying to organize a second civil war—and they’re spreading fast Friday 3:48 PM
- People are disturbed by these McDonald’s-scented candles Friday 3:47 PM
- Season 2 of ‘The Witcher’ is in production Friday 3:16 PM
- Here are some cringey billboards Bloomberg ran in Arizona Friday 2:51 PM
- PewDiePie returns to YouTube after 37-day hiatus Friday 2:01 PM
- Why was a Republican Party Facebook page co-managed by someone in Turkmenistan? Friday 1:26 PM
- The shorthand guide to ‘Star Wars: The Clone Wars’ Friday 1:07 PM
- Congress urges Tinder to screen for sex offenders Friday 1:03 PM
- Video shows 9-year-old threatening suicide after being bullied Friday 12:01 PM
- Ex-Goldman Sachs CEO says he might vote Trump because Sanders is too mean to him Friday 11:40 AM
- Twitch streamer says she was banned for body painting Friday 11:39 AM
The Morning GIF: Gorburger and Mr. GIF party down
The six-foot fuzzy alien was let loose on Coke and popcorn, and then this happened.
Here at the Daily Dot, we swap GIF images with each other every morning. Now we’re looping you in. In the Morning GIF, we feature a popular—or just plain cool—GIF we found on Reddit, Canvas, or elsewhere on the Internet.
It was the third night of South by Southwest Interactive, and downtown Austin was buzzing. Hundreds of people stood in line to get into the Mohawk for Tumblr’s official party while the rest of Austin’s Sixth Street bar scene overflowed with patrons dressed in tattered Converse sneakers and oversized glasses.
In a parking lot a few miles away, another party was going on in a cramped RV. It was being hosted by Tumblr’s premier artist duo Mr. GIF, and the special guest was Gorburger, a giant extraterrestrial that looks like E.T. after a yearlong bender on Twinkies, cigarettes, and blue hair dye.
Gorburger is the host of The Gorburger Show, an off-the-wall web series where the giant alien, who is voiced by comedian T.J. Miller, interviews the people of Earth. The series was created by Warner Sound and Funny or Die and has featured the likes of Henry Rollins, Tegan and Sara, and 3OH!3.
“That night was super cool. Nothing like partying with a 6 foot tall monster and his two Japanese super kawaii companions,” Mr. GIF told the Daily Dot. “Gorbs twisted up something something, then proceeded to pound some brews. The partying got a little too much for Gorbs and he got a little sick.”
Mr. GIF commemorated Gorburger’s visit with a series of stereoscopic GIFs featuring the alien drinking some Coca-Cola, eating popcorn, and snacking on the corpse of a young SXSW patron. What can you expect from a hungry alien?
“When all was said and done, it was a great way to end our Austin trip,” Mr. GIF added. “It’s a shame almost immediately after that we reversed into a parked car and totally killed the party vibe.”
Images by Mr. GIF
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.