- Tom Steyer calls for reparations Tuesday 9:05 PM
- Etika mural added as official PokéStop in Pokémon Go Tuesday 8:35 PM
- Debate devolves into candidates shouting ‘math’ at each other Tuesday 8:19 PM
- Bloomberg rolls his eyes when challenged over sexist comments Tuesday 8:18 PM
- Bloomberg almost accidentally claims he ‘bought’ Congress Tuesday 8:03 PM
- ‘Dick Pound’ and ‘Bisexual Men Exist’ trend together–Twitter goes wild Tuesday 7:54 PM
- James Charles receives backlash over ‘racist’ imitation of Latinx TikTok character, Rosa Tuesday 7:06 PM
- Video shows people harassing elderly Asian man while he collects cans Tuesday 6:23 PM
- Bob Iger steps down as Disney CEO, prompting conspiracy theories Tuesday 5:53 PM
- Bhad Bhabie threatens to kill Skai Jackson amid feud involving their moms Tuesday 4:51 PM
- Body camera shows officer boasting about arresting a 6-year-old Tuesday 3:58 PM
- Singer Duffy opens up about the rape, captivity that led her to stop singing Tuesday 3:51 PM
- Cynthia Nixon embodies feminist rage in viral video Tuesday 3:30 PM
- Samsung factory shuts down amid confirmed coronavirus case Tuesday 3:08 PM
- Bebe Rexha says she won’t be ‘imprisoned’ by bipolar disorder Tuesday 2:33 PM
The Morning GIF: Tumblr newcomer is already a premier shock artist
Milos Rajkovic wants to know what goes on in your mind.
Here at the Daily Dot, we swap GIF images with each other every morning. Now we’re looping you in. In the Morning GIF, we feature a popular—or just plain cool—GIF we found on Reddit, Canvas, or elsewhere on the Internet.
GIF artists Colin “zbags” Raff and Milos “sholim” Rajkovic don’t know it yet, but they’re long-lost brothers from a demented mother.
The duo, who haven’t actually met and aren’t really related, are Tumblr’s premier shock artists. Between Raff’s monochromatic animations of smirking scoundrels licking their lips while shoving objects into their head and Rajkovic’s faceless figures full of mechanical parts, both men have made it their business to freak you out.
“Models for my GIFs are politicians, corporate people, or just pretty faces from the commercials that we watched for hundreds of times during a day and who have no identity and personality,” Rajkovic told the Daily Dot. “So I just remove their faces to have close look at what’s inside. In some way I explore and make them uglier to give them some human beauty.”
Rajkovic’s foray into the world of freaky GIFs is recent. Since April 2 he’s posted 10 animations, with each collecting between 100 and 6,000 notes. Not too shabby for a 28-year-old from Belgrade, Serbia, who picked up GIF art in between gigs with his band, the Camaro Kids.
“I’m highly inspired by lowbrow pop surrealism art,” Rajkovic added. “I really feel the power of their work. When you see something that’s scary and funny at same time, while bringing some strong visual messages to you—that’s what I try to do with my GIFs.”
Art by Milos Rajkovic
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.