- New Jersey congressman joins House Democrats ‘Squad’ because of an Onion article 6 Years Ago
- Twitter begins rolling out new desktop redesign, and users aren’t happy Today 1:54 PM
- Man asks his girlfriend to ‘unlove’ her ex—and people do not agree with him Today 1:37 PM
- Relive a forgotten gem with the TurboGrafx-16 Mini console Today 1:09 PM
- Judge says Daily Stormer founder must pay $14 million for harassing Jewish realtor Today 1:01 PM
- Graphic depiction of suicide cut from Netflix’s ’13 Reasons Why’ Today 12:55 PM
- Streaming titles seize 2019 Emmy nominations Today 12:19 PM
- ‘Frankenstein’s Monster’s Monster, Frankenstein’ tries to find humor in bad actors Today 12:02 PM
- Democratic senator calls Facebook ‘dangerous’ during Libra cryptocurrency hearing Today 11:57 AM
- How ‘Kyle’ became synonymous with angry, Monster Energy-chugging white boys Today 11:22 AM
- Nearly impossible ‘Super Mario Maker 2’ level inspires memes Today 11:16 AM
- Madonna faces backlash for posting photos of her Black daughters with watermelon Today 10:44 AM
- Biden wants to challenge Trump to a push-up contest Today 10:00 AM
- Trump continues to tweet as House gears up to condemn his racist tweets Today 9:21 AM
- Your therapist probably wouldn’t approve of this meme Today 9:06 AM
The Morning GIF: Tumblr newcomer is already a premier shock artist
Milos Rajkovic wants to know what goes on in your mind.
Here at the Daily Dot, we swap GIF images with each other every morning. Now we’re looping you in. In the Morning GIF, we feature a popular—or just plain cool—GIF we found on Reddit, Canvas, or elsewhere on the Internet.
GIF artists Colin “zbags” Raff and Milos “sholim” Rajkovic don’t know it yet, but they’re long-lost brothers from a demented mother.
The duo, who haven’t actually met and aren’t really related, are Tumblr’s premier shock artists. Between Raff’s monochromatic animations of smirking scoundrels licking their lips while shoving objects into their head and Rajkovic’s faceless figures full of mechanical parts, both men have made it their business to freak you out.
“Models for my GIFs are politicians, corporate people, or just pretty faces from the commercials that we watched for hundreds of times during a day and who have no identity and personality,” Rajkovic told the Daily Dot. “So I just remove their faces to have close look at what’s inside. In some way I explore and make them uglier to give them some human beauty.”
Rajkovic’s foray into the world of freaky GIFs is recent. Since April 2 he’s posted 10 animations, with each collecting between 100 and 6,000 notes. Not too shabby for a 28-year-old from Belgrade, Serbia, who picked up GIF art in between gigs with his band, the Camaro Kids.
“I’m highly inspired by lowbrow pop surrealism art,” Rajkovic added. “I really feel the power of their work. When you see something that’s scary and funny at same time, while bringing some strong visual messages to you—that’s what I try to do with my GIFs.”
Art by Milos Rajkovic
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.