- Daniel Caesar dons cape for whiteness—and gets canceled Wednesday 4:29 PM
- Triton is a new malware ‘deliberately’ designed to put lives at risk Wednesday 3:23 PM
- ‘Into the Dark: I’m Just F*cking with You’ is one of the series’ best Wednesday 1:54 PM
- Trump’s latest prop, a map of ISIS, gets memed Wednesday 12:54 PM
- HBO sends fans on a global scavenger hunt for 6 Iron Thrones Wednesday 11:51 AM
- The Awkward Family Photos game is Cards Against Humanity for meme lovers Wednesday 11:50 AM
- London firefighters’ organization accuses ‘Peppa Pig’ of sexism Wednesday 11:41 AM
- YouTuber accused of abusing her children to make kid-friendly content Wednesday 11:20 AM
- Ari Fleischer’s Iraq War tweet isn’t going over well Wednesday 10:54 AM
- Cop arrested for recording man’s genitals, forcing mentally ill man to twerk Wednesday 10:37 AM
- MoviePass rebrands its unlimited plan, again Wednesday 10:37 AM
- Former Alaska senator launches meme-filled 2020 primary campaign Wednesday 10:17 AM
- The Shane Dawson cat controversy has resulted in these sex memes Wednesday 10:06 AM
- Sarah Sanders mocks CNN reporter with ‘dear diary’ tweet Wednesday 9:03 AM
- Know what you’re signing up for thanks to these dating site reviews Wednesday 8:58 AM
The Morning GIF: Tumblr newcomer is already a premier shock artist
Milos Rajkovic wants to know what goes on in your mind.
Here at the Daily Dot, we swap GIF images with each other every morning. Now we’re looping you in. In the Morning GIF, we feature a popular—or just plain cool—GIF we found on Reddit, Canvas, or elsewhere on the Internet.
GIF artists Colin “zbags” Raff and Milos “sholim” Rajkovic don’t know it yet, but they’re long-lost brothers from a demented mother.
The duo, who haven’t actually met and aren’t really related, are Tumblr’s premier shock artists. Between Raff’s monochromatic animations of smirking scoundrels licking their lips while shoving objects into their head and Rajkovic’s faceless figures full of mechanical parts, both men have made it their business to freak you out.
“Models for my GIFs are politicians, corporate people, or just pretty faces from the commercials that we watched for hundreds of times during a day and who have no identity and personality,” Rajkovic told the Daily Dot. “So I just remove their faces to have close look at what’s inside. In some way I explore and make them uglier to give them some human beauty.”
Rajkovic’s foray into the world of freaky GIFs is recent. Since April 2 he’s posted 10 animations, with each collecting between 100 and 6,000 notes. Not too shabby for a 28-year-old from Belgrade, Serbia, who picked up GIF art in between gigs with his band, the Camaro Kids.
“I’m highly inspired by lowbrow pop surrealism art,” Rajkovic added. “I really feel the power of their work. When you see something that’s scary and funny at same time, while bringing some strong visual messages to you—that’s what I try to do with my GIFs.”
Art by Milos Rajkovic
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.