- Southwest Airlines passengers receive free Nintendo Switch consoles and Mario Maker 2 Wednesday 9:10 PM
- The Deplorable Choir drops diss track aimed at 4 congresswomen from Trump’s racist tweets Wednesday 8:09 PM
- Florida city is pushing homeless people out by playing ‘Baby Shark’ on a loop Wednesday 7:27 PM
- A ‘Gossip Girl’ reboot is coming to HBO Max–and fans are not happy with the casting details Wednesday 6:44 PM
- Beto can’t leverage his slave owner ancestry to gain Black voters’ trust Wednesday 5:51 PM
- Oakland to become the third U.S. city to ban facial recognition Wednesday 5:50 PM
- ‘Release the Snyder Cut’ billboards pop up outside of San Diego Comic-Con Wednesday 5:24 PM
- Iggy Azalea and Peppa Pig have an epic Twitter fight Wednesday 4:39 PM
- Should you be concerned about your privacy on FaceApp? Wednesday 4:15 PM
- Google ‘terminates’ Dragonfly, its censored search engine for China Wednesday 3:33 PM
- AOC rips Facebook during Libra House hearing Wednesday 3:14 PM
- The time traveler conversation meme finds its way to TikTok Wednesday 2:52 PM
- Grimes claims she had an ‘experimental’ eye surgery and practices sword fighting Wednesday 2:42 PM
- 70 Border Patrol employees under investigation for posts in secret Facebook group Wednesday 1:45 PM
- Republican’s Operation Safe Return criticized as cover for mass deporation Wednesday 1:42 PM
Let the Photoshop battles begin.
Whether Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell‘s (R-Ky.) reputation as a deft political operator takes a hit in the wake of the Senate’s failure to replace Obamacare is yet to be seen, but one person has noted a comparison to a famous nefarious character: Mr. Burns from The Simpsons.
Getty photo of Mitch McConnell at the Capitol on Tuesday..... pic.twitter.com/3LXfCbsXFh— David Mack (@davidmackau) July 18, 2017
Just in case you can’t see it clearly enough, that is McConnell echoing the brooding and malevolent owner of the Springfield nuclear power plant. Here it is side-by-side.
People were quick to chime in with various Simpsons references.
Excellent... https://t.co/d5yi7qd3BA— Andrew Couts (@AndrewCouts) July 18, 2017
Of course, there were other demonic beings that McConnell—who just attempted to pass a healthcare bill that would add to the ranks of uninsured—reminded people of.
nosferatu https://t.co/E1DppsMw4m— Hale (@halemcs) July 18, 2017
*to the Bill Nye theme*— 60 pounds of stuff? (@TheAntiBinge) July 18, 2017
Ghoul! Ghoul! https://t.co/hMJg6ANyHo
That said, if McConnell truly was a ghoul of some sort, it would definitely be a haunted turtle.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]