- Sasha Obama went to prom and Twitter is delighted with the photos 2 Years Ago
- Jon Voight says Trump is the greatest president since Lincoln in Twitter videos Today 1:31 PM
- #DeleteFacebook gains momentum after the platform refused to remove doctored Nancy Pelosi videos Today 11:58 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ failed women—and it’s a shame on its legacy Today 7:40 AM
- How to use Tor, the network that lets you browse the web anonymously Today 7:30 AM
- How to live stream Devin Haney vs. Antonio Moran on DAZN Today 7:00 AM
- Trump’s transphobic policies are disgusting—but they aren’t new Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Copa del Rey Final online for free Today 5:45 AM
- How to watch the DFB-Pokal final for free Today 5:30 AM
- Curvy Wife Guy drops music video for rap song ‘Chubby Sexy’ Friday 7:33 PM
- A ‘Black Mirror’-inspired miniseries is coming to YouTube via Netflix Latin America Friday 5:56 PM
- Kanye West appears on David Letterman’s Netflix show to talk Trump, TMZ, and Drake Friday 3:27 PM
- QAnon believers link small-town arrest to deep state conspiracy without evidence Friday 1:58 PM
- Instagram photos showing prison conditions spark massive protest Friday 1:33 PM
- ‘Gay rat wedding’ headline sparks amazing new meme Friday 1:03 PM
Macklemore denounces his old haircut after neo-Nazis widely adopt it
Macklemore no longer has the hair of a Nazi.
As much as you may wish he’d Mackle less, rapper Macklemore is a pretty good sport. He rejected his old signature haircut on Tuesday after a well-known Twitter prankster pointed out it’s been widely adopted by white supremacists.
“macklemore hair seems to be the chosen haircut of the racists now. i call on
@macklemore to get online and denounce his own haircut,” tweeted internet jokester Jon “@fart” Hendren, known for pranks like sending Pitbull to a Walmart in Alaska and going on TV to discuss Edward Scissorhands instead of Edward Snowden.
The call for a man to denounce his own hair was a little tongue-in-cheek, because Macklemore is an outspoken liberal and a supporter of Black Lives Matter, hardly a Nazi sympathizer. He certainly didn’t inspire the “fashy” haircut neo-Nazis and alt-righters like Richard Spencer wear today—it was popular with the Nazi youth of the 1930s and ’40s—but it’s hard to ignore the similarities between their hairstyles and Mack’s old ‘do.
Macklemore's hair style resembles a popular nazi haircut. Google images it, I'm not kidding.
— Reid (@Reidiculouz) March 22, 2013
— C. J. Timmins (@c_j_timmins) June 19, 2014
"Macklemore Hair" became "Nazi Hair" quicker than the "Chaplin Stache" became the "Nazi Stache".
— Sam (@unegrandefemme) February 26, 2017
When people try to call Richard Spencer dapper remember that he's a Nazi who looks like an inbred bloated seal carcass with Macklemore hair.
— Birdy (@palebirdy) January 29, 2017
Is it safe to assume that anyone who still has this hair is either a Nazi or has an unhealthy fixation on Macklemore? pic.twitter.com/cOll8zljbq
— Samay Gheewala (@STGhee) April 26, 2017
When you realize your hair is making you a Nazi style icon, the thing to do is give it up. And, to his credit, that’s exactly what Macklemore did. He now sports a more nondescript buzz cut.
Got rid of it over a year ago
— MARMALADE (@macklemore) August 15, 2017
He didn’t exactly “denounce” his old hair, but he distanced himself from it. For Weird Twitter, that was a win. They got a celebrity who many see as a joke to take a silly tweet seriously, and they got to mock Nazis at the same time. Dozens of “thank you, Macklemore” tweets (and one “thanklemore mack you”) were immediately posted.
Thanklemore mack you
— Nick (@NickSchug) August 15, 2017
He mackled less, for our sake
— Euron Believable (@hamsandcastle) August 15, 2017
Thank you, Macklemore.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.