- Angela Abar wrestles with destiny in ‘Watchmen’ episode 8 Sunday 9:05 PM
- Guy who runs Trump Organization Twitter account caught hyping up own tweet Sunday 4:51 PM
- People found out how tall Olaf is–and now ‘Frozen’ is terrifying Sunday 3:41 PM
- Rapper Juice WRLD dead at 21 Sunday 3:02 PM
- Embody Andrew Yang, fight other presidential candidates in video game Sunday 2:33 PM
- Ariana Grande spoke with TikTok teen who looks exactly like her Sunday 1:00 PM
- Beyoncé accused of paying dancers ‘low rates’ Sunday 11:58 AM
- Timmy Thick blasted for saying the N-word in comeback video Sunday 9:11 AM
- Netflix’s ‘The Confession Killer’ is a devastating and well-built portrait of a con artist Sunday 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! I’m ashamed to tell anyone about my online shopping habit Sunday 6:00 AM
- UPS facing backlash for thanking police after employee killed in shootout Saturday 5:02 PM
- Sanders campaign fires staffer after anti-Semitic, homophobic tweets surface Saturday 3:13 PM
- Brother Nature was attacked, says everyone just watched with phones out Saturday 2:45 PM
- Ryan Reynolds’ gin company hires Peloton wife for ad Saturday 1:24 PM
- Ex-vegan YouTuber accused of fraud after following meat-only diet Saturday 1:11 PM
ABC announced the full cast of its Little Mermaid Live! Sunday night. The promo aired during Kids Say the Darndest Things and provided a first look at the cast in costume—there was a lot going on in it.
Introducing @auliicravalho as Ariel@iamqueenlatifah as Ursula@direalshaggy as Sebastian@JohnStamos as Chef Louis— ABC (@ABCNetwork) October 7, 2019
And @grahamphilips as Prince Eric
Can’t wait for you to join us under the sea for #TheLittleMermaidLive on ABC November 5. pic.twitter.com/66tMMgl0w2
The promo showed Moana’s Auli’i Cravalho as Ariel; musician Shaggy as Sebastian; Queen Latifah as Ursula; John Stamos as Chef Louis, a role he previously donned for the Hollywood Bowl; and Graham Phillips as Prince Eric.
The casting received mostly positive feedback online.
“You know what, this is one live action remake I’m actually all for,” user @chuffaholic wrote. “Honestly, I wanna see what they can pull off with a Little Mermaid live action remake. Latifah as Ursula, very good choice.”
You know what, this is one live action remake I'm actually all for. Honestly, I wanna see what they can pull off with a Little Mermaid live action remake. Latifah as Ursula, very good choice. https://t.co/oQPAp5JezL— Necire (@chuffaholic) October 7, 2019
“All I am saying is that Auli’i and the cast of upcoming The Little Mermaid Live show on tv should have been the cast of the upcoming ‘The Little Mermaid’ movie,” user @SeanBonau said.
All I am saying is that Auli’i and the cast of upcoming The Little Mermaid Live show on tv should have been the cast of the upcoming ‘The Little Mermaid’ movie.— Sean B. (@SeanBonau) October 7, 2019
Others couldn’t help but remark on the cast’s meme potential.
“There is so much going on in the Little Mermaid Live ad,” user @speriod said.
There is so much going on in the Little Mermaid Live ad pic.twitter.com/e7bK4AObkw— steven j. horowitz (@speriod) October 7, 2019
“is there a change dot org petition to have ABC add a number where Sebastian sings It Wasn’t Me in The Little Mermaid Live because I will sign it,” user @Buote asked in reference to Shaggy’s 2000 hit.
is there a change dot org petition to have ABC add a number where Sebastian sings It Wasn't Me in The Little Mermaid Live because I will sign it— melissa (@Buote) October 7, 2019
People were quick to poke fun at Stamos and his creepy mustachioed smirk.
“So, I don’t care in the slightest about the live musical televised play of ‘The Little Mermaid’ but sweet Jesus does @JohnStamos look ridiculous as Chef Louis and I kind of love it,” user @Jordamus_Prime wrote.
So, I don't care in the slightest about the live musical televised play of 'The Little Mermaid' but sweet Jesus does @JohnStamos look ridiculous as Chef Louis and I kind of love it. pic.twitter.com/DLTBJsxvMw— Jordan DesJardins (@Jordamus_Prime) October 7, 2019
my therapist: john stamos as the crab-hating french chef in abc's the little mermaid live isn't real. he can't hurt you.— alexis nedd (@alexisthenedd) October 7, 2019
john stamos as the crab-hating french chef in abc's the little mermaid live: pic.twitter.com/fv49Dm8qXf
The production will mix live performance with clips from the movie and is set to air Nov. 5. The announcement came shortly after Disney revealed it would cast Halle Bailey as Ariel for its upcoming movie.
Collyn Burke is a senior journalism student at the University of Texas at Austin interning for the Daily Dot's editorial team and Two Girls One Podcast. Her work has previously appeared in the Daily Texan and the Texas Observer.