- What we learned when we visited Mr. B, America’s chonkiest cat 1 Month Ago
- Trump’s new plan to fight opioid overdose? This tweet Today 1:06 PM
- Fitness influencer shamed for ‘sharing numbers’ in weight loss posts Today 1:04 PM
- The VSCO Girl has always been here Today 1:01 PM
- Tomi Lahren’s new ‘Freedom’ clothing line is made for meme mockery Today 12:21 PM
- Taylor Swift’s ‘London Boy’ is a bop, but Brits don’t think her lyrics are accurate Today 12:02 PM
- Popeyes blasted for employee welfare amid chicken sandwich war Today 11:59 AM
- Cory Booker says nonbinary ‘niephew’ taught him about trans issues Today 11:53 AM
- Megachurch pushes conversion therapy on Instagram, Facebook with #OnceGay Today 11:11 AM
- Christian movie review site blasts Netflix’s ‘The Family’ Today 10:50 AM
- YouTube removes ‘coordinated’ channels spreading Hong Kong misinformation Today 8:58 AM
- Christina Hendricks reveals she was the hand model for ‘American Beauty’ Today 8:30 AM
- Why can’t independent feminist websites stay afloat? Today 8:17 AM
- Far-right troll Jacob Wohl scammed a Trump fan out of $25,000 (updated) Today 7:54 AM
- How to stream Browns vs. Buccaneers in key preseason action Today 7:02 AM
The pop star (and Dunkirk actor) is reportedly in talks to play Prince Eric in the live-action Little Mermaid remake. Variety describes him as being in “early negotiations” for the role.
Directed by Rob Marshall (Chicago) with songs from Lin-Manuel Miranda and longtime Disney composer Alan Menken (who worked on the original Little Mermaid), it looks like this film may be more of an outright musical than some of Disney’s recent live-action adaptations, which focused more on recreating the tone of the original movies. R&B singer Halle Bailey has already been cast as the mermaid Ariel, and Styles would be an obvious choice for the romantic lead since he’s a heartthrob with plenty of singing experience.
Styles hasn’t officially been cast yet, so the role could still go to someone else. It’s worth remembering that he was rumored to be in the running for a couple of other high-profile roles that recently went to other actors, like the Elvis Presley biopic.
So far, The Little Mermaid‘s supporting cast includes Melissa McCarthy as the sea witch Ursula, child actor Jacob Tremblay as Flounder, and Awkwafina as Scuttle the seagull. It’s expected to begin filming early next year.
- How a 10-second Disney jingle became a meme in Thailand
- Disney’s new ‘Star Wars’ series had a budget the size of the final ‘Game of Thrones’ season
- Now that Disney is in charge, streaming service FX+ is on its way out
Want more reviews and interviews from Gavia Baker-Whitelaw? Sign up here to receive her biweekly geek culture newsletter.
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor