- No, the first words of Trump’s tweets don’t match up to lyrics of ‘Break My Stride’ Sunday 10:28 PM
- White woman demanding strangers ‘repent’ for Christ sparks conversation on mental illness and racism Sunday 9:27 PM
- Amtrak employee asked a NAACP lawyer to move from her train seat Sunday 7:54 PM
- Billie Eilish fans riot after being referred to as ‘Avocados’ Sunday 4:37 PM
- Beyhive coming for Sainsbury’s supermarket over Ivy Park shade Sunday 3:17 PM
- Antique store blasted for selling ‘white only’ signs Sunday 1:45 PM
- DaBaby explains altercation with hotel employee after video goes viral Sunday 12:32 PM
- Kanye faces backlash for headlining Christian event with anti-LGBTQ leaders Sunday 10:31 AM
- Why is Yennefer of Vengerberg so different in Netflix’s ‘The Witcher’? Sunday 10:00 AM
- Actress slammed for ‘acid attack-face’ TikTok challenge Sunday 9:46 AM
- ‘Weathering With You’ blends fantasy and realism in a magical love story Saturday 6:18 PM
- Kidnapped teen used Snapchat to get rescued Saturday 4:35 PM
- What fans do and don’t want to see in future ‘Far Cry’ installments Saturday 4:26 PM
- Aaron Carter accused of stealing lion art for merch Saturday 3:10 PM
- Instagram’s hidden like counts were inspired by a ‘Black Mirror’ episode Saturday 2:06 PM
The pop star (and Dunkirk actor) is reportedly in talks to play Prince Eric in the live-action Little Mermaid remake. Variety describes him as being in “early negotiations” for the role.
Directed by Rob Marshall (Chicago) with songs from Lin-Manuel Miranda and longtime Disney composer Alan Menken (who worked on the original Little Mermaid), it looks like this film may be more of an outright musical than some of Disney’s recent live-action adaptations, which focused more on recreating the tone of the original movies. R&B singer Halle Bailey has already been cast as the mermaid Ariel, and Styles would be an obvious choice for the romantic lead since he’s a heartthrob with plenty of singing experience.
Styles hasn’t officially been cast yet, so the role could still go to someone else. It’s worth remembering that he was rumored to be in the running for a couple of other high-profile roles that recently went to other actors, like the Elvis Presley biopic.
So far, The Little Mermaid‘s supporting cast includes Melissa McCarthy as the sea witch Ursula, child actor Jacob Tremblay as Flounder, and Awkwafina as Scuttle the seagull. It’s expected to begin filming early next year.
- How a 10-second Disney jingle became a meme in Thailand
- Disney’s new ‘Star Wars’ series had a budget the size of the final ‘Game of Thrones’ season
- Now that Disney is in charge, streaming service FX+ is on its way out
Want more reviews and interviews from Gavia Baker-Whitelaw? Sign up here to receive her biweekly geek culture newsletter.
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor