- Man allegedly kills girlfriend, then pretends to be her on Facebook Sunday 4:29 PM
- Trevor Lawrence met TikTok teen who looks just like him Sunday 3:48 PM
- Trump’s hospital visit spawns conspiracy theories Sunday 2:49 PM
- ‘SNL’ skit combines Harry Styles, the Popeyes chicken sandwich, and Disney+ Sunday 2:02 PM
- Doctored photo of GOP congresswoman flipping the bird fools critics Sunday 1:05 PM
- Internet scammers taking advantage of Narwhal the ‘unicorn’ rescue puppy Sunday 12:19 PM
- Sunday Night Football: How to stream Bears vs. Rams live Sunday 12:00 PM
- CupcakKe’s month-long ‘water fast’ has fans concerned Sunday 11:24 AM
- Will.i.am claims ‘racist’ flight attendant called police on him Sunday 10:28 AM
- How does Disney+ compare to Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, and Apple TV+? Sunday 9:35 AM
- How to stream Patriots vs. Eagles live Sunday 9:30 AM
- Girl turns herself into ‘pleading face’ emoji Sunday 9:27 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Lions live Sunday 9:00 AM
- Chaotic good, true neutral: The 2020 Democrat alignment chart Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to stream Mexico vs. Brazil live in the U-17 World Cup final Sunday 3:00 AM
Last night, Lil Nas X won what he said was his first-ever award. He and Billy Ray Cyrus won Song of the Year at the VMAs for their remix of Nas’ crossover hit “Old Town Road”. The pair appeared on stage together to accept the award with Nas already turning heads in his bright red cowboy suit. After thanking Cyrus, Nas announced he had “a little speech” and proceeded to take out a scroll that was long enough to hit the floor with an audible thud when it was unraveled.
Lizzo’s reaction said it all.
Nas didn’t actually end up reading from the scroll, and in fact, it looked as if it was just blank paper. Cyrus then took over to give a more standard acceptance speech, thanking God and the fans.
Much like everything else Lil Nas X does, the scroll moment instantly became a meme.
me getting ready to explain why i don't deserve happiness:pic.twitter.com/CtSJE2eqD9— Lucy Diavolo (@SatansJacuzzi) August 27, 2019
lil nas x like pic.twitter.com/1Uj9ES4tqd— jos (@andysambcrg) August 27, 2019
Me opening The Cheesecake Factory Menu: pic.twitter.com/20iRNqJMct— The Americana At Brand Memes (@americanamemes) August 27, 2019
Nas not only had a big win last night, he also had a big performance. After satirizing his own song with a video showing a future where he’s president in the year 2079 and the world is celebrating the 3,162nd remix of “Old Town Road,” Nas launched into the song “Panini” complete with futuristic outfits and visual effects.
No one is better at creating viral moments than Lil Nas X, and he always seems to have another surprise up his sleeve. We’re guessing this won’t be his last major award, and it definitely won’t be his last meme.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.