- Kyrsten Sinema may face a censure vote—and net neutrality is a big reason why 3 Months Ago
- Recreate a Hogwarts holiday with the LEGO ‘Harry Potter’ Advent calendar Today 8:27 AM
- How to stream Titans vs. Jaguars on Thursday Night Football Today 8:26 AM
- 24 Halloween costumes so weird all you can do is laugh Today 8:13 AM
- Night Monkey finally gets the trailer he deserves Today 8:04 AM
- All the TV series and films coming to AppleTV+ Today 8:00 AM
- How to watch ‘American Horror Story: 1984’ Today 7:00 AM
- What’s new in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare? Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Carole and Tuesday’ is a feast for the eyes, ears, and heart Today 6:30 AM
- Tara Booth’s Instagram art embraces the comedy in mental health struggles Today 6:00 AM
- Everything we know so far about Peacock, NBC’s new streaming service Tuesday 7:42 PM
- Selena Gomez producing docuseries about immigration for Netflix Tuesday 7:11 PM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Shakhtar Donetsk in Champions League action Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos threatens to crash furry convention he is barred from Tuesday 5:54 PM
- How to stream Juventus vs. Atletico Madrid in Champions League action Tuesday 5:52 PM
Viral sensation Lil Nas X just released his first track since “Old Town Road,” the song that blew up the internet and his career. The new bob is called “Panini”–and, no, it isn’t about a sandwich. But, yes, it did cook up a fresh batch of memes.
With a hook like, “Hey panini, don’t you be a meanie,” how could it not?
The video for “Panini” has already surpassed 1 million views on YouTube. Unlike the country twang of “Old Town Road,” “Panini” sounds much more like a traditional rap song. Its video also trades in cowboy hats and sepia tones for the complete opposite: animated robots covered in shiny gloss.
The title apparently comes from the Cartoon Network’s character Chowder, according to Lil Nas’ Twitter account.
panini is not about a sandwich pic.twitter.com/e5HMDIsVVO— nope (@LilNasX) June 20, 2019
Lil Nas also gave a special shout out to Frances Bean Cobain, daughter of the late Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain. This is because “Panini” interpolates Nirvana’s “In Bloom.” The late singer is even listed as one of “Panini’s” writers.
Country music legend Billy Ray Cyrus, a collaborator on the “Old Town Road” remix, even had to get his congratulations in.
Panini lowkey go hard pic.twitter.com/jxoIJdZb6D— 〰️ (@cactusjackjr_) June 20, 2019
lil nas x: *releases panini early*— nicole ✪ (@nicolesowdenofx) June 20, 2019
Many fans repeated the same sentiment: Now that Lil Nas has two fire singles out, haters can stop calling him a one hit wonder.
Rest in peace to anyone looking for information on actual paninis after his song dropped, though.
my hungry ass clicked on the "panini" trending tab expecting some pics of hot sandwiches and now i'm just sad— Safiya Nygaard (@safiyajn) June 20, 2019
The country star and rapper is now trying to collaborate with celebrity chef Gordon Ramsey. Who knows, his last attempt at garnering a legendary collab through Twitter went wildly successful.
tryna get gordon ramsay on this panini remix— nope (@LilNasX) June 20, 2019
- The ‘Old Town Road’ memes will ride ’til they can’t no more
- TikTok favorite Lil Nas X ropes in Billy Ray Cyrus for ‘Old Town Road’ remix
- Lil Nas X drops ‘Old Town Road’ on unsuspecting elementary school—and the kids lose it
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Alyse Stanley is a video game and culture reporter based in Virginia with words at Polygon and USGamer. When she’s not writing about memes, she edits Unwinnable’s monthly magazine. You can follow her on Twitter @pithyalyse.