- Boys’ sleepovers vs. girls’ sleepovers meme takes stereotypes to absurd heights Tuesday 7:30 PM
- Petition wants Keanu Reeves to be named ‘Time Person of the Year’ Tuesday 6:33 PM
- 8 women accuse Max Landis of sexual, emotional abuse Tuesday 5:37 PM
- Taylor Swift accused of copying Beyoncé—again Tuesday 5:00 PM
- Everything you need to know about Libra, Facebook’s new cryptocurrency Tuesday 4:45 PM
- Netflix just renewed ‘Queer Eye’ for 2 more seasons Tuesday 4:32 PM
- YouTube’s queen of failed robots just unveiled a one-of-a-kind Tesla truck Tuesday 3:58 PM
- AOC infuriates conservatives with ‘concentration camps’ remark Tuesday 3:33 PM
- TikTok users explore identity with Lin Manuel Miranda-inspired meme Tuesday 3:24 PM
- TikTok apology video inspires new duet meme Tuesday 2:51 PM
- Man sues brewery after identifying as female to get beer discount Tuesday 2:31 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Hulu in July 2019 Tuesday 2:22 PM
- This biotech company’s logo is almost straight out of Resident Evil Tuesday 1:26 PM
- Trump says mass deportations to start next week Tuesday 12:28 PM
- GOP pollster bothered by broken elevator in Austria blames socialism Tuesday 10:50 AM
The Internet can’t get enough of this kid who’s about to explode
From having to fart to being a vegan, we can all relate.
They say it’s better to let out your emotions instead of bottling them up. Because if you do look like you’re about to erupt, it’s quite possible that a picture of you on the verge of exploding might become the hottest meme.
Just ask this guy.
Veins popping out of his forehead and neck, eyes puffed with frustration, and the most uncomfortable posture around, this guy is obviously holding something in, which is what’s helped make the image go viral. The original joke is that this dude needs to brag about his dietary ideology every so often. But of course, thanks to the Internet, people have stolen the gag, altered it in whatever little way, and redistributed it as their own idea.
Not long after that post, on December 12, Twitter user @Sanchovies posted the same picture with practically the same text, swapping “10 minutes” out for “8 minutes.” You can tell that he’s also cropped out the original joke that was transposed on it, probably to help cover up that he was stealing the joke from elsewhere. Pretty much nobody was the wiser.
Around the same time, other people tried to land the same joke without attribution, using both the 10 minute and the 8 minute versions. But on Twitter, the 8 minute version was much more popular. Some people adapted the joke with a different image, which was a valiant effort, but none quite launched like the pic of the boy in the drawstring hoodie.
The original picture has a versatility that lent itself to creating a whole slew of spin-offs that invoke the sense of an impending meltdown because you have to say something important. That you’re a feminist, for example. In these meme creators’ eyes, these identifiers are associated with people who incessantly talk about being that kind of person. And, strangely enough, the 8-minute aspect has stayed constant across many of these remixes.
Some versions of the meme also tap into those identities and use different stereotypical topics for punchlines. For example, being a Donald Trump supporter who hasn’t said something racist lately.
But, like many memes, this image has been in circulation for longer than the two months that it’s enjoyed a spike on Twitter and Tumblr. In March 2014, Reddit user aaduk_ala posted the image to r/funny with the caption “Trying to hold a fart next to a cute girl in class.”
The joke quickly made its way to other Internet locales in the initial spread. Everyone from FunnyJunk to LADBible posted the same exact thing.
All this, inspired by the need to let one rip. Now that’s a success story.
Gabe Bergado is a Daily Dot alumnus who covered dank memes, teens, and the weirdest corners of the Internet. One time, Ted Cruz supporters turned him into a meme—or at least tried to. In 2017, he started reporting for Teen Vogue's entertainment section.