- Did the Space Force logo rip off Star Trek? Friday 6:24 PM
- Disabled people with service dogs say Uber, Lyft drivers are denying them rides Friday 3:25 PM
- TikTok teen famous for greasy hair ends her 8-year reign Friday 2:48 PM
- Police handcuff brown man at subway station for carrying a toy gun Friday 1:20 PM
- Fake clip of Sanders quoting infamous ‘hot chip’ tweet is duping people online Friday 1:16 PM
- The Mars Volta’s Cedric Bixler-Zavala alleges Scientologists behind dog’s death Friday 12:46 PM
- Eminem responds to critics: ‘This album was not made for the squeamish’ Friday 12:42 PM
- ‘The poet, the poem’ meme takes iconic lines and turns them into art Friday 12:40 PM
- People are making dark memes about the coronavirus Friday 12:27 PM
- Trump camp’s ‘head on a pike’ impeachment threat hit with memes Friday 11:34 AM
- What is the #FreeBritney movement, and why is Cher tweeting about it? Friday 10:52 AM
- This YouTuber claims the Saudi government plotted to kidnap him on U.S. soil Friday 10:30 AM
- Report: Jack Dorsey declined to host a fundraiser for Tulsi Gabbard Friday 10:22 AM
- Bernie Sanders plugs Joe Rogan endorsement—and women are furious Friday 10:04 AM
- Young woman using TikTok to document the end of her life says she’s dying next week Friday 8:43 AM
Justin Bieber: Troubled Canadian pop star or sinister lizard king?
Your guide to the YouTube-inspired Reptile Bieber conspiracy theories.
A strange new YouTube video has hundreds of thousands of people wondering.
The clip is from an O’Reilly Factor segment on Bieber following his arrest for street racing in Miami while under the influence of drugs and alcohol. Bieber is seen in an orange jumpsuit; his stare is expressionless. Then, all of a sudden, something happens to his eyes.
Here’s the blink in question, GIF’d:
Here’s what people are saying:
4chan’s paranormal board /x/ has called Bieber a “shape-shifting lizard.” I think he looks more like the alien from the beginning of Men in Black, the one who blinks a separate set of eyes after being chased by Will Smith.
Like most things on /x/, Bieber’s crazy eyes had a logical explanation.
“Most mundane explanation is a video compression artifact,” one /x/ user wrote. “If Bieber is a lizard I’d [have] joined the Christians [a] long time ago.”
An artifact is a sort of distortion that occurs during the compression of a video in order to make it small enough in file size to fit on a disc.
“A digital video file has the same fuzzy edges and distortion of images as a still image file may have,” Techtarget explains. “The breakup of the video into large digital pixels and jerkiness in the video stream are examples of compression artifacts.”
Since Bieber was arrested last week, he’s not only been the focus of every mainstream media organization, but also 4chan’s random imageboard /b/.
The prank was called #cuffs4bieber, which encouraged the community to share the following random images of teenagers getting arrested on Twitter in order to fool real Bieber fans into getting busted by the cops out of solidarity.
A White House petition to have Bieber deported over his antics has collected 226,000 digital signatures.
Photo by iloveJB123/Flickr
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.