- Jeff Bezos’ girlfriend allegedly sent his nudes to her brother, who then leaked them Saturday 6:38 PM
- This Instagram account catches influencers in the wild Saturday 5:42 PM
- The best upcoming video games to look out for in February 2020 Saturday 5:23 PM
- TikTok teens use AirPods and Google Translate to secretly talk in class Saturday 4:32 PM
- Video shows corpses of coronavirus victims lying in China hospital Saturday 3:44 PM
- Kid meets Slipknot after drumming video goes viral Saturday 2:30 PM
- Channing Tatum responds to troll who tried to compare Jenna Dewan and Jessie J’s looks Saturday 1:46 PM
- Grindr pulls an ‘I don’t know her’ after Eminem suggests he uses the app Saturday 12:48 PM
- Here are the top 10 most popular Instagram models in 2020 Saturday 12:21 PM
- ‘The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina’ takes its characters on a fantasy adventure to Hell in season 3 Saturday 11:37 AM
- Woman no longer in sorority, school after racist MLK post Saturday 10:45 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Miss Americana’ starts to deconstruct the myth of Taylor Swift Saturday 10:32 AM
- Teens charged with attempted arson after participating in TikTok ‘outlet challenge’ Saturday 8:56 AM
- ‘American Dirt’ is a metaphor for a white country built on the back of immigrants Saturday 6:00 AM
- This woman told two students to ‘speak English’ and people are not having it Friday 9:53 PM
Justin Bieber: Troubled Canadian pop star or sinister lizard king?
Your guide to the YouTube-inspired Reptile Bieber conspiracy theories.
A strange new YouTube video has hundreds of thousands of people wondering.
The clip is from an O’Reilly Factor segment on Bieber following his arrest for street racing in Miami while under the influence of drugs and alcohol. Bieber is seen in an orange jumpsuit; his stare is expressionless. Then, all of a sudden, something happens to his eyes.
Here’s the blink in question, GIF’d:
Here’s what people are saying:
4chan’s paranormal board /x/ has called Bieber a “shape-shifting lizard.” I think he looks more like the alien from the beginning of Men in Black, the one who blinks a separate set of eyes after being chased by Will Smith.
Like most things on /x/, Bieber’s crazy eyes had a logical explanation.
“Most mundane explanation is a video compression artifact,” one /x/ user wrote. “If Bieber is a lizard I’d [have] joined the Christians [a] long time ago.”
An artifact is a sort of distortion that occurs during the compression of a video in order to make it small enough in file size to fit on a disc.
“A digital video file has the same fuzzy edges and distortion of images as a still image file may have,” Techtarget explains. “The breakup of the video into large digital pixels and jerkiness in the video stream are examples of compression artifacts.”
Since Bieber was arrested last week, he’s not only been the focus of every mainstream media organization, but also 4chan’s random imageboard /b/.
The prank was called #cuffs4bieber, which encouraged the community to share the following random images of teenagers getting arrested on Twitter in order to fool real Bieber fans into getting busted by the cops out of solidarity.
A White House petition to have Bieber deported over his antics has collected 226,000 digital signatures.
Photo by iloveJB123/Flickr
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.