- What is “TikTok including Musical.ly”? Tuesday 8:48 PM
- Video shows driver yelling N-word at Black woman in road rage incident Tuesday 7:40 PM
- A fan gifted Billie Eilish a jacket–it ended up in a thrift store for another fan to find Tuesday 6:49 PM
- Fans are surprisingly hyping Moby up for his new vegan tattoo Tuesday 6:13 PM
- Suspicionless searches of travelers’ electronics ruled unconstitutional Tuesday 5:22 PM
- Facebook testing TikTok clone within Instagram called Reels Tuesday 5:11 PM
- Han Solo shooting scene changed yet again, spawning ‘Maclunkey’ memes Tuesday 4:52 PM
- Facebook bug opened iPhone cameras while users scrolled their feeds Tuesday 4:36 PM
- Black Facebook employees say company racism has ‘gotten worse’ Tuesday 4:01 PM
- This fish with a ‘human face’ is here to give you nightmares Tuesday 3:28 PM
- TikTok’s piercing challenge leaves the fate of your face up to a filter Tuesday 2:54 PM
- Soldiers with top-secret clearance say they were ordered to install a sketchy app Tuesday 2:46 PM
- How to take your Korean beauty routine on the go Tuesday 2:24 PM
- Disney+’s ‘Encore!’ is a love letter to high school theater Tuesday 2:15 PM
- White tourist filmed shouting homophobic, racist slurs Tuesday 1:31 PM
Meme history: Jeff Goldblum Is Watching You Poop
In the pre-Facebook era, one meme ruled because it was physically reposted on actual walls.
Years ago, Jeff Goldblum had a vested interest in your bowel movements.
Before memes became ubiquitous in the mid-2000s, they were simply nondescript or nonsensical images and unsourced video clips, spread out on various community websites.
Memes would circulate, but without the social-sharing power of Facebook and Reddit, their subjects never became megastars.
Pre-Facebook, this meme ruled because it was posted and reposted on actual walls.
Its success required a dedicated real-life effort, printer ink, tape, and thousands of public restrooms.
This is Jeff Goldblum Is Watching You Poop.
Capturing a still from Goldblum’s 1986 film The Fly, Jeff Goldblum Is Watching You Poop dates back to a 2002 Geocities page, according to Know Your Meme. While it seems inspired, it actually predates Ceiling Cat Is Watching You Masturbate.
At the time, the meme didn’t make much sense: Back in 2002, before mobile phones made toilet browsing a necessity, computers seldom entered the bathroom. But the image macro was printed out and hung in restrooms everywhere.
I personally have one in my own bathroom, perfectly eye-level with anyone who sits down on the toilet. No, really:
As Goldblum’s fascination with your poo became widely circulated, it of course spawned spinoff images. The most well-known of these was Christopher Walken Is Watching You Pee:
While Goldblum and Walken reigned supreme among the actors witnessing the production of excrement, many others temporarily joined their ranks.
Photos via christopherwalkeniswatchingyoupee, quickmeme, androgynouskelly.com, memegenerator, diylol.com
Mike Fenn is a former contributor to the Daily Dot whose beats included Reddit, YouTube, and all things WTF. His work has also appeared in Forbes and News.com.au.