- Boys’ sleepovers vs. girls’ sleepovers meme takes stereotypes to absurd heights Tuesday 7:30 PM
- Petition wants Keanu Reeves to be named ‘Time Person of the Year’ Tuesday 6:33 PM
- 8 women accuse Max Landis of sexual, emotional abuse Tuesday 5:37 PM
- Taylor Swift accused of copying Beyoncé—again Tuesday 5:00 PM
- Everything you need to know about Libra, Facebook’s new cryptocurrency Tuesday 4:45 PM
- Netflix just renewed ‘Queer Eye’ for 2 more seasons Tuesday 4:32 PM
- YouTube’s queen of failed robots just unveiled a one-of-a-kind Tesla truck Tuesday 3:58 PM
- AOC infuriates conservatives with ‘concentration camps’ remark Tuesday 3:33 PM
- TikTok users explore identity with Lin Manuel Miranda-inspired meme Tuesday 3:24 PM
- TikTok apology video inspires new duet meme Tuesday 2:51 PM
- Man sues brewery after identifying as female to get beer discount Tuesday 2:31 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Hulu in July 2019 Tuesday 2:22 PM
- This biotech company’s logo is almost straight out of Resident Evil Tuesday 1:26 PM
- Trump says mass deportations to start next week Tuesday 12:28 PM
- GOP pollster bothered by broken elevator in Austria blames socialism Tuesday 10:50 AM
Wish her happy birthday tomorrow @laina622.
In fact, Overly Attached Girlfriend is Laina Morris, a 21-year-old former journalism student at the University of North Texas, according to NT Daily.
“I’m always amused by the @OvrlyAttachdGF tweets. Then I realize my face is associated with it and I’m slightly disturbed. Still awesome,” Morris tweeted Saturday. “Before I agree to marry all of you, I’m going to need all of the engagement rings first. Preferably ones that can be sold for lots of money.”
In less than a week, Morris has collected more than 12,000 followers on Twitter.
Morris became Internet famous on June 7, after her hilariously unsettling fan video for Bieber’s “Girlfriend” spawned hundreds of memes. The video was submitted on YouTube for a contest to be featured in a commercial for Bieber’s new perfume, aptly titled “Girlfriend,” due out today, the New York Times reported.
Morris followed up the success of “Girlfriend” with a creepy cover of Carly Rae Jepsen’s “Call Me Maybe.” Since its release Monday, the video has collected four million views.
Tomorrow is Morris’s birthday and if all goes according to plan, it’ll be a scary good one.
“If you all pitch in a couple dollars each, you could totally buy me a Kia Soul. I promise I’ll tweet ‘Thank you,’” Morris tweeted. “@Audi Are you going to give me an offer I can’t refuse? I’m in love with Kia Souls!”
The official Audi account tweeted the following photo in response.
Correction: The Daily Dot originally reported that Overly Attached Girlfriend was identified as Laina Walker. Her name is Laina Morris. This story has been changed to reflect that finding. We regret the error.
Photo via Know Your Meme
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.