- Netflix’s ‘Secret Obsession’ isn’t just terrible—it’s boring as hell 6 Years Ago
- Instagram expands experiment of hiding likes to 6 more countries 6 Years Ago
- Man asks woman to stop speaking Spanish on a plane—and bystanders start speaking Spanish Today 12:55 PM
- Schumer calls on FBI, FTC to investigate FaceApp Today 12:41 PM
- Netflix loses subscribers—but hopes some tentpole shows can save it Today 12:10 PM
- Man utterly roasted for saying woman can’t ask for equality in revealing clothing Today 12:07 PM
- Instagram struggles to remove photos of Bianca Devins’ dead body Today 11:14 AM
- ‘Storm Area 51’ creator says its gotten so big he’s worried about the FBI Today 10:49 AM
- Everyone loves Q baby, the baby who apparently supports QAnon Today 9:53 AM
- Thread about ‘depression meals’ is inspiring lots of relatable answers Today 9:36 AM
- How long is ‘Avengers: Infinity War’? Today 9:30 AM
- Rand Paul ripped for halting 9/11 Victim Fund re-authorization bill Today 9:18 AM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Hulu in August 2019 Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ creators drop out of Comic-Con at last minute Today 6:38 AM
- Inside Britt McHenry’s war on women Today 6:30 AM
Good news for GIF nerds: Animated Twitter avatars are back.
GIF avatars, the company claimed, were never supported, even though users had countless tutorials for sneaking past the restriction. In September, Twitter closed those loopholes.
Thanks to a hidden Twitter API loophole found by Indonesian programmer Citra Kasuma, GIF avatars can be added back. Here are the six easy steps:
1) Visit http://twit.kakiteng.com/ and click the “Sign in with Twitter” button.
2) Plug in your Twitter credentials.
3) Select “Edit Profile.”
4) Select your GIF animation.
For best results, GIFs should be sized at 128px, 192px, or 384px; less than 250kb; and not have a transparent background.
5) Once your avatar is uploaded, go to your Twitter settings → Apps and revoke access to the “Kakiteng c Kusuma” app.
You may also want to change your password. This is to prevent your account from being compromised in the future.
6) Sit back and enjoy the GIF.
Most GIFs will animate in the Twitter’s Web timeline. Depending on the browser you’re using, the size of the GIF, and whether the app is working properly, your success may vary. It is a loophole, after all.
Illustration by Jason Reed
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.