- Gabrielle Union deserves better from Terry Crews Tuesday 11:12 PM
- T.I. publicly apologizes to daughters after Kobe Bryant’s death Tuesday 8:46 PM
- ‘Squash the boss’: Labor union seemingly unknowingly posted furry fetish art Tuesday 8:04 PM
- TikTok user pretending to be lab technician who has contracted coronavirus Tuesday 7:08 PM
- Caroline Calloway says she plans to campaign for Bernie Sanders Tuesday 6:23 PM
- Justin Bieber, Snoop Dogg, millions of others sign petition to make Kobe Bryant new NBA logo Tuesday 5:39 PM
- No, Lana Del Rey did not cry because Billie Eilish won album of the year Tuesday 4:48 PM
- People are exposing their eyeballs to phone flash for this TikTok challenge Tuesday 3:55 PM
- Watch Mike Bloomberg try to shake a dog’s mouth Tuesday 3:41 PM
- ‘Rey who?’ is the funniest meme to emerge from ‘The Rise of Skywalker’ Tuesday 3:30 PM
- AI beat the CDC to the punch on coronavirus warnings Tuesday 3:21 PM
- What exactly is a ‘large boulder the size of a small boulder’? Tuesday 2:49 PM
- Mom of ‘Success Kid’ says Steve King can’t use her son’s meme for ‘repulsive’ campaign Tuesday 2:00 PM
- Jake Paul can’t escape Logan Paul’s shadow—even if that loyalty has hurt his career Tuesday 1:13 PM
- Kobe Bryant’s Oscar-winning ‘Dear Basketball’ is now available to stream for free (updated) Tuesday 12:21 PM
George Lucas, the legendary creator of Star Wars, was recently spotted in a mall food court in Adelaide, Australia, where he sat alone with what appeared to be a plate of garbage food court noodles and a Diet Coke. The ingrates on social media were quick to criticize Lucas for presenting this sad tableau:
why is george lucas alone eating cheap chinese fast food in an adelaide mall food court. i have so many questions
— kate (@osccarisaac) March 16, 2016
Sad, though? George Lucas—a man who created a generation’s childhood space-opera dream, who has pushed to construct affordable housing on his Marin County land, who produced both a documentary and an action movie about the Tuskegee Airmen—was just in Adelaide to spend time with his wife, Mellody Hobson, while she was at a conference.
Sure, his ex may have been the real genius behind Star Wars, but ol’ George has done more good for more people than the haters ever will. Why the hate? Why can’t one of the few living titans of cinema eat his budget-friendly noodles without your petty scorn?
Well, carry on then.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.