- Man delighted to find 30-year-old computer still works Sunday 5:32 PM
- Report: Google used shell companies to build data centers, obtain tax breaks Sunday 3:38 PM
- Grammy winner Kacey Musgraves spoiled ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars 4’ Sunday 2:24 PM
- Conservatives feel vindicated by new developments in Jussie Smollett case (updated) Sunday 12:19 PM
- Don Cheadle made important fashion choices on ‘SNL’ Sunday 9:47 AM
- Why the Twitter left loves to dunk on Max Boot Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to watch ‘Last Week Tonight with John Oliver’ online for free Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to stream Francis Ngannou vs. Cain Velasquez for free Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to stream the 2019 Daytona 500 for free Sunday 5:50 AM
- 7-year-old YouTuber to get his own show on Nickelodeon Saturday 5:30 PM
- ‘Hipster’ jobs are trending, and Indeed says the market is booming Saturday 3:33 PM
- Trump meme removed after copyright complaint Saturday 2:15 PM
- Facebook pushes back against moderators complaining about ‘Big Brother’ environment Saturday 12:46 PM
- Twitter hid post from an account linked to Iran’s Supreme Leader Saturday 10:17 AM
- How to stream Leo Santa Cruz vs. Rafael Rivera for free Saturday 8:00 AM
Web Summit/Flickr (CC-BY)
Elon, what’s your username?
In case you missed it, Elon Musk recently tweeted a request for “ur dankest memes”.
Send me ur dankest memes!!
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) October 25, 2018
Tsk Tsk Elon, you can’t just ask for dank memes. Dank memes must come to you.
There were some pretty great responses to the billionaire’s request, although few would qualify as a dank meme.
Now Reddit, home of the dankest of memes, has decided to troll Musk by posting memes about him assuming he has a fake account and is monitoring them.
Or, you know, maybe they don’t actually believe that and they’re just having fun pretending. When it comes to Reddit, and especially Reddit meme groups, it’s really impossible to know.
Some people seem to think he’s hiding behind that not-so-subtle username ElongatedMuskrat, an account that’s been around since December of 2014.
This is older than Musk’s official Reddit account, which was created in January of 2015. That account hasn’t been active in over two years, though.
So what’s really going on here? On the one hand, it’s hard to believe that the CEO of a company that makes spaceships has the time to sit around on Reddit monitoring it for dank memes. Then again, he can’t seem to shut up on Twitter and he’s pretty much the definition of eccentric. If Musk actually is active on Reddit using a “secret” account, he’ll probably let us know soon.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.