- Report finds some users can’t opt out of Facebook’s face recognition Monday 7:27 PM
- Get emotional over this real-life pastor baptizing an anime girl in virtual reality Monday 6:53 PM
- Twitter wants to know what Jack in the Box did to offend Kim Kardashian Monday 6:38 PM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ meme claims King’s Landing is an ‘inside job’ Monday 6:06 PM
- Report: Personal data of 49 million Instagram influencers exposed online Monday 4:57 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ season 3 trailer teases a wet, hot American summer Monday 4:02 PM
- What Daenerys’ biggest ‘Game of Thrones’ scenes have in common with Nazi propaganda Monday 3:12 PM
- Here’s what’s coming to Amazon Prime in June Monday 2:11 PM
- Where did Jon Snow go? Unpacking the ‘Game of Thrones’ ending Monday 2:04 PM
- So, did anyone actually win ‘Game of Thrones’? Monday 1:29 PM
- The surprising religious subtext of ‘John Wick: Chapter 3’ Monday 12:53 PM
- Robin Arryn got hot—and the internet is seriously shook Monday 12:40 PM
- Tana Mongeau is going to VidCon a year after TanaCon disaster Monday 12:12 PM
- What have 2020 Democrats said about Alabama’s abortion ban? Monday 11:36 AM
- People keep throwing milkshakes at the U.K.’s far-right politicians Monday 11:10 AM
Web Summit/Flickr (CC-BY)
Elon, what’s your username?
In case you missed it, Elon Musk recently tweeted a request for “ur dankest memes”.
Send me ur dankest memes!!
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) October 25, 2018
Tsk Tsk Elon, you can’t just ask for dank memes. Dank memes must come to you.
There were some pretty great responses to the billionaire’s request, although few would qualify as a dank meme.
Now Reddit, home of the dankest of memes, has decided to troll Musk by posting memes about him assuming he has a fake account and is monitoring them.
Or, you know, maybe they don’t actually believe that and they’re just having fun pretending. When it comes to Reddit, and especially Reddit meme groups, it’s really impossible to know.
Some people seem to think he’s hiding behind that not-so-subtle username ElongatedMuskrat, an account that’s been around since December of 2014.
This is older than Musk’s official Reddit account, which was created in January of 2015. That account hasn’t been active in over two years, though.
So what’s really going on here? On the one hand, it’s hard to believe that the CEO of a company that makes spaceships has the time to sit around on Reddit monitoring it for dank memes. Then again, he can’t seem to shut up on Twitter and he’s pretty much the definition of eccentric. If Musk actually is active on Reddit using a “secret” account, he’ll probably let us know soon.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.