- Listen to Pitbull cover Toto’s ‘Africa’ for the ‘Aquaman’ soundtrack—or don’t 2 Months Ago
- Nancy Pelosi’s coat is the meme the resistance needed 2 Months Ago
- Oprah says what was really on her mind while she ate bland chicken Today 4:00 PM
- Democrats predicted to go in on net neutrality when they take House Today 3:33 PM
- Holland Tunnel decorations are a real nightmare before Christmas Today 2:12 PM
- Amazon still won’t say whether ICE uses its facial recognition tech Today 1:13 PM
- Ninja to host Thursday Night Football Today 12:00 PM
- How to stream the NFL’s Week 15 for free Today 12:00 PM
- An undecorated room sets off a debate on Twitter Today 11:42 AM
- Netflix announces Taylor Swift ‘Reputation’ concert film Today 11:29 AM
- People are making memes out of these ‘leaked’ ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ posters Today 11:12 AM
- How to watch the Liga MX final between Club América and Cruz Azul online for free Today 10:38 AM
- Parents shocked by KKK costumes in school play Today 10:11 AM
- Learn why light therapy is the key to keeping winter skin at bay Today 9:38 AM
- Laura Loomer says she’s been banned from GoFundMe Today 9:14 AM
Web Summit/Flickr (CC-BY)
Elon, what’s your username?
In case you missed it, Elon Musk recently tweeted a request for “ur dankest memes”.
Send me ur dankest memes!!
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) October 25, 2018
Tsk Tsk Elon, you can’t just ask for dank memes. Dank memes must come to you.
There were some pretty great responses to the billionaire’s request, although few would qualify as a dank meme.
Now Reddit, home of the dankest of memes, has decided to troll Musk by posting memes about him assuming he has a fake account and is monitoring them.
Or, you know, maybe they don’t actually believe that and they’re just having fun pretending. When it comes to Reddit, and especially Reddit meme groups, it’s really impossible to know.
Some people seem to think he’s hiding behind that not-so-subtle username ElongatedMuskrat, an account that’s been around since December of 2014.
This is older than Musk’s official Reddit account, which was created in January of 2015. That account hasn’t been active in over two years, though.
So what’s really going on here? On the one hand, it’s hard to believe that the CEO of a company that makes spaceships has the time to sit around on Reddit monitoring it for dank memes. Then again, he can’t seem to shut up on Twitter and he’s pretty much the definition of eccentric. If Musk actually is active on Reddit using a “secret” account, he’ll probably let us know soon.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.